Hello everybody! This is my problem.
I have a Pentium 4 socket478 1.5Ghz processor I broke one of the pins
awhile back when I tried pulling the HSF out and the processor came
with it. Until recently, I found some techniques to seperate the HSF
from the processor. But is the processor salvageable? I looked at
Intel’s website at the processor and found out that the missing pin is
AF26:

Pin Name Pin # Signal Buffer Type Direction

SKTOCC# AF26 Power/Other Output

The missing pin would be in the upper left hand corner (looking from
the top of the processor with the niche in the lower right) The file
used for reference can be found below. Refer to pages 40 and 44.

ftp://download.intel.com/design/Pentium4/datashts/30056103.pdf

Can any of you be kind enough to tell me if this processor is operable
or what I would need to do to fix it? Thanks. :)

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chips-Broken-P4-pin-ftopict58637.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=297001

keith

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 03:36:05 -0400, Beofres wrote:

> Hello everybody! This is my problem.
> I have a Pentium 4 socket478 1.5Ghz processor I broke one of the pins
> awhile back when I tried pulling the HSF out and the processor came
> with it. Until recently, I found some techniques to seperate the HSF
> from the processor. But is the processor salvageable? I looked at
> Intel’s website at the processor and found out that the missing pin is
> AF26:
>
> Pin Name Pin # Signal Buffer Type Direction
>
> SKTOCC# AF26 Power/Other Output
>
> The missing pin would be in the upper left hand corner (looking from
> the top of the processor with the niche in the lower right) The file
> used for reference can be found below. Refer to pages 40 and 44.
>
> ftp://download.intel.com/design/Pentium4/datashts/30056103.pdf
>
> Can any of you be kind enough to tell me if this processor is operable
> or what I would need to do to fix it? Thanks. :)

Apparently this pin tells the system that the processor is there (socket
occupied) and is pulled to ground by the processor. There is a chance
that the motherboard will igore this signal and assume the processor is
there. If not, it shouldn't be too hard to find this signal somewhere on
the board and tie it to ground. Good luck.

--
Keith