GTA:SA PC camera problem

kirk

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2002

Has anyone figured out how to make the camera in SA behave like the camera
in VC / III?

In VC / III the camera would generally align itself to the direction of
travel. However, in SA, the camera must be adjusted continually in order to
see ahead. Both the height and direction are affected.

I really hope that I am missing something. If not, I will 86 this game real
soon.

I woldn't call it a problem... I actually like being able to slew the mouse
around and see whats around me. In this regard it becomes very similar to
many of the new first person shooters out there, so I guess i'm just used to
it. Not worth ditching the game over however.....

But i will say that it loads DAMN FAST!

"kirk" <kirk@nowhere.net> wrote in message

> Has anyone figured out how to make the camera in SA behave like the camera
> in VC / III?
>
> In VC / III the camera would generally align itself to the direction of
> travel. However, in SA, the camera must be adjusted continually in order
> to see ahead. Both the height and direction are affected.
>
> I really hope that I am missing something. If not, I will 86 this game
> real soon.

"kirk" <kirk@nowhere.net> wrote in message

> Has anyone figured out how to make the camera in SA behave like the camera
> in VC / III?
>
> In VC / III the camera would generally align itself to the direction of
> travel. However, in SA, the camera must be adjusted continually in order
> to see ahead. Both the height and direction are affected.
>
> I really hope that I am missing something. If not, I will 86 this game
> real soon.

I have the same problem. I wish they had an option to set the controls to
match Vice City. Everytime I get in a fight or try to drive, the camera ends
up on top the car/person or the bottom/crotch. I guess we have to practice
with it for a while. This control problem is the main reason I wont buy
these type games for a console, the mouse gives way better control and
aiming.

> Anyone want a very slightly used copy of SA for the PC. I will accept bids
> starting at the $51 USD plus shipping.

??? Calm the hell down, and get used to it. ;-))

--
Brian J. Nielsen - http://bachfire.homepage.dk
For at maile mig privat, brug da "email.dk" efter @

It's a bit of a pisser when you run up to fight someone, stop, then realize
you cant turn to follow when he runs around you. You have to either start
walking, or use the keys to turn manually. Not very user friendly compared
with III and VC.

To answer your question Thrash, the controls are basically the same. Guess
you will have to practice with motorcycles and planes more. So, calm the
hell down, and get used to it ;)

GMpartsguy wrote:
> It's a bit of a pisser when you run up to fight someone, stop, then realize
> you cant turn to follow when he runs around you. You have to either start
> walking, or use the keys to turn manually. Not very user friendly compared
> with III and VC.

Sounds like I'll wait for the patch before I buy my copy. The best part
of III and VC was the mouse view movement.

-Will

"William Bradshaw" <dougfromtos@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> GMpartsguy wrote:
>> It's a bit of a pisser when you run up to fight someone, stop, then
>> realize
>> you cant turn to follow when he runs around you. You have to either start
>> walking, or use the keys to turn manually. Not very user friendly
>> compared
>> with III and VC.
>
> Sounds like I'll wait for the patch before I buy my copy. The best part of
> III and VC was the mouse view movement.
>

> -Will

Oh no, don't tell me the camera is going to spoil it! I really hope it's
just a matter of getting used to it rather than getting more and more
annoyed with it until I stop wanting to play the game.

"nooneimportant" <no.spam@me> wrote in message
>I woldn't call it a problem... I actually like being able to slew the mouse
>around and see whats around me. In this regard it becomes very similar to
>many of the new first person shooters out there, so I guess i'm just used
>to it. Not worth ditching the game over however.....
>
> But i will say that it loads DAMN FAST!

If the PS2 players' posts are anything to go by I think it might just be
something we have to get used to. There were a few early PS2 posts that
complained about the camera, but after a while they stopped.

Can any PS2 people let us PC folk know whether the camera is okay in the
end?

> To answer your question Thrash, the controls are basically
> the same. Guess you will have to practice with motorcycles
> and planes more. So, calm the hell down, and get used to it ;)

Well, I guess I walked right into that one.. Thanks! ;-)

--
Brian J. Nielsen - http://bachfire.homepage.dk
For at maile mig privat, brug da "email.dk" efter @
To mail me in private, simply use "email.dk" after the @

Jericho

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2001

> Has anyone figured out how to make the camera in SA behave like the camera
> in VC / III?
>
> In VC / III the camera would generally align itself to the direction of
> travel. However, in SA, the camera must be adjusted continually in order
> to see ahead. Both the height and direction are affected.
>
> I really hope that I am missing something. If not, I will 86 this game
> real soon.

I came on here hoping that I'd just missed an option to enable mouse
turns... Apparently not. I can see this taking a lot of getting used to...

You get so used to it that GTAVC and GTA3 are for me pretty unplayable

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
....why, other guards, of course!

> "William Bradshaw" <dougfromtos@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> GMpartsguy wrote:
>>> It's a bit of a pisser when you run up to fight someone, stop, then
>>> realize
>>> you cant turn to follow when he runs around you. You have to either
>>> start
>>> walking, or use the keys to turn manually. Not very user friendly
>>> compared
>>> with III and VC.
>>
>> Sounds like I'll wait for the patch before I buy my copy. The best part
>> of III and VC was the mouse view movement.
>>

>> -Will
>
> Oh no, don't tell me the camera is going to spoil it! I really hope it's
> just a matter of getting used to it rather than getting more and more
> annoyed with it until I stop wanting to play the game.

I've played it nonstop since I got it Tuesday Morning and the mouse camera
problem is not going away, especially when driving or fighting. When you
start to fight or drive, the camera goes nuts and correcting it takes
several seconds. Hopefully they will put out a patch or someone will make a
mod that gives us Vice City type controls

Razor

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004

"M" <spam@spamme.com> wrote in message
> You get so used to it that GTAVC and GTA3 are for me pretty unplayable

> Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
> ...why, other guards, of course!
>
> "Chris Wright" <nospam@chris.com> wrote in message
>
>> Can any PS2 people let us PC folk know whether the camera is okay in the
>> end?

Same here. Though I'd rather a fixed camera for a couple of races that I
can't finish.
When I try the camera move with Tommy he just stops and looks around...not
very helpful.

The right button thing does help, with the AK47 it's great CJ can turn
the full 360 and cap everyone, but with a machine pistol it gets kinda
clunky as you can only do a 180 before the cross hairs disappear. This
is a nightmare when you're surrounded by ballas who are shoooting at
you.

I got used to it but I still don't like it...

You can just press V to change the view angle. I've set it to have the
car/bike far away (there are 3 variation of the standard view
far/normal/close) and that does help, the vehicle is perhaps a bit too
small but at least it's driveable.

I wonder if any enterprising modder could sort this out?

"Jebus Saves" <GeorgeWBush@drunkdrivingcokeheadedAWOLcowards.com> wrote in
message news:OUkqe.363$yg4.115@news01.roc.ny...
> "Chris Wright" <nospam@chris.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "William Bradshaw" <dougfromtos@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Sounds like I'll wait for the patch before I buy my copy. The best part
>>> of III and VC was the mouse view movement.
>>>

>>> -Will
>>
>> Oh no, don't tell me the camera is going to spoil it! I really hope it's
>> just a matter of getting used to it rather than getting more and more
>> annoyed with it until I stop wanting to play the game.
>
> I've played it nonstop since I got it Tuesday Morning and the mouse camera
> problem is not going away, especially when driving or fighting. When you
> start to fight or drive, the camera goes nuts and correcting it takes
> several seconds. Hopefully they will put out a patch or someone will make
> a mod that gives us Vice City type controls
I found that, especially on the first bit with the bikes. I was riding like
I was drunk or something, crashing into walls every two seconds because I
couldn't see where I was going. I hope it gets better with practice, or I
can find away to set things up that works better for me.

Chris Wright wrote:

> "Jebus Saves" <GeorgeWBush@drunkdrivingcokeheadedAWOLcowards.com> wrote in
> message news:OUkqe.363$yg4.115@news01.roc.ny...
> > "Chris Wright" <nospam@chris.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "William Bradshaw" <dougfromtos@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> Oh no, don't tell me the camera is going to spoil it! I really hope it's
> >> just a matter of getting used to it rather than getting more and more
> >> annoyed with it until I stop wanting to play the game.
> >
> > I've played it nonstop since I got it Tuesday Morning and the mouse camera
> > problem is not going away, especially when driving or fighting. When you
> > start to fight or drive, the camera goes nuts and correcting it takes
> > several seconds. Hopefully they will put out a patch or someone will make
> > a mod that gives us Vice City type controls
> I found that, especially on the first bit with the bikes. I was riding like
> I was drunk or something, crashing into walls every two seconds because I
> couldn't see where I was going. I hope it gets better with practice, or I
> can find away to set things up that works better for me.

sounds bad. The camera isn't brilliant on the ps2 but neither is it a
disaster. I have noticed CJ's head turning to look at things, don't
know whether he is kind of pointing out dangers or whatever, maybe on
the pc the camera is actually following that head movement?

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Chris Wright wrote:
>>
>> "Jebus Saves" <GeorgeWBush@drunkdrivingcokeheadedAWOLcowards.com> wrote
>> in
>> message news:OUkqe.363$yg4.115@news01.roc.ny...
>> > "Chris Wright" <nospam@chris.com> wrote in message

>> > I've played it nonstop since I got it Tuesday Morning and the mouse
>> > camera
>> > problem is not going away, especially when driving or fighting. When
>> > you
>> > start to fight or drive, the camera goes nuts and correcting it takes
>> > several seconds. Hopefully they will put out a patch or someone will
>> > make
>> > a mod that gives us Vice City type controls
>> I found that, especially on the first bit with the bikes. I was riding
>> like
>> I was drunk or something, crashing into walls every two seconds because I
>> couldn't see where I was going. I hope it gets better with practice, or I
>> can find away to set things up that works better for me.
>
> sounds bad. The camera isn't brilliant on the ps2 but neither is it a
> disaster. I have noticed CJ's head turning to look at things, don't
> know whether he is kind of pointing out dangers or whatever, maybe on
> the pc the camera is actually following that head movement?
>
> --
> Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")

The camera sort of dives into extreme closeup when you get on the bikes, and
sometimes you're riding along and it whips round as you're turning so you
suddenly can't see what's ahead, and an easy corner turns into a crash.

I'm starting to think that maybe the bit of my brain that knows about the
controls for GTA games is stuck in "Vice City Mode". The controls for VC are
so intuitive, and I'm finding it hard to get out of old habits. If the PS2
people got used to the new camera policy, maybe us PC people will as well. I
certainly hope so, I would hate to give up on what looks like an amazing
game because of a dodgy camera.

Chris Wright wrote:

> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Chris Wright wrote:
> >>
> >> "Jebus Saves" <GeorgeWBush@drunkdrivingcokeheadedAWOLcowards.com> wrote
> >> in
> >> message news:OUkqe.363$yg4.115@news01.roc.ny...

> >> I found that, especially on the first bit with the bikes. I was riding
> >> like
> >> I was drunk or something, crashing into walls every two seconds because I
> >> couldn't see where I was going. I hope it gets better with practice, or I
> >> can find away to set things up that works better for me.
> >
> > sounds bad. The camera isn't brilliant on the ps2 but neither is it a
> > disaster. I have noticed CJ's head turning to look at things, don't
> > know whether he is kind of pointing out dangers or whatever, maybe on
> > the pc the camera is actually following that head movement?
> >
> > --
> > Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
>
> The camera sort of dives into extreme closeup when you get on the bikes, and
> sometimes you're riding along and it whips round as you're turning so you
> suddenly can't see what's ahead, and an easy corner turns into a crash.
>
> I'm starting to think that maybe the bit of my brain that knows about the
> controls for GTA games is stuck in "Vice City Mode". The controls for VC are
> so intuitive, and I'm finding it hard to get out of old habits. If the PS2
> people got used to the new camera policy, maybe us PC people will as well. I
> certainly hope so, I would hate to give up on what looks like an amazing
> game because of a dodgy camera.

Can you not change the camera view for vehicles? Surely you have the
choice to move the camera further back?
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

> Can you not change the camera view for vehicles? Surely you have the
> choice to move the camera further back?
> --
> Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my last post. It goes into extreme closeup when you
first get on the bike, but you can get it back out again so you can see
what's happening. It's just when you start riding anywhere that the camera
problems start to be a real issue.

Also, the drivers seem to be a lot more aggressive in San Andreas. whenever
I hit another car the driver seems to pursue a vendetta and run me off the
road! The number of times I've been spun around and ended up facing the
wrong way isn't funny.

Chris Wright wrote:

> > Can you not change the camera view for vehicles? Surely you have the
> > choice to move the camera further back?
> > --
> > Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
>
> Sorry, I wasn't clear in my last post. It goes into extreme closeup when you
> first get on the bike, but you can get it back out again so you can see
> what's happening. It's just when you start riding anywhere that the camera
> problems start to be a real issue.
>
> Also, the drivers seem to be a lot more aggressive in San Andreas. whenever
> I hit another car the driver seems to pursue a vendetta and run me off the
> road! The number of times I've been spun around and ended up facing the
> wrong way isn't funny.

yeah, they really do go for it when you bump them. It can be very
painful, specially if you're near a big drop
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

On 13 Jun 2005 03:42:09 -0700, "mustrum_ridcully"
<mustrum_ridcully@yahoo.com> wrote:

>You can just press V to change the view angle. I've set it to have the
>car/bike far away (there are 3 variation of the standard view
>far/normal/close) and that does help, the vehicle is perhaps a bit too
>small but at least it's driveable.

I was having trouble driving due to lack of anticipation time in
collisions and turns. Yesterday I started playing with the 'V' key,
pulled back, and driving is 100% easier than default.

Steve
--
www.thepaxamsolution.com

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

"kirk" <kirk@nowhere.net> wrote in

> Has anyone figured out how to make the camera in SA behave like the
> camera in VC / III?
>
> In VC / III the camera would generally align itself to the direction
> of travel. However, in SA, the camera must be adjusted continually in
> order to see ahead. Both the height and direction are affected.
>
> I really hope that I am missing something. If not, I will 86 this
> game real soon.

Ya, this is pissing me off...why did they mess with this?

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

"GMpartsguy" <kb1cih@comBUZZOFFcast.net> wrote in

> It's a bit of a pisser when you run up to fight someone, stop, then
> realize you cant turn to follow when he runs around you. You have to
> either start walking, or use the keys to turn manually. Not very user
> friendly compared with III and VC.
>
> To answer your question Thrash, the controls are basically the same.
> Guess
> you will have to practice with motorcycles and planes more. So, calm
> the hell down, and get used to it ;)

There's also something funky at the Gym. Instead of hitting return, you
can press F to get on the equipment. However, if you just got off and want
to get back on the same equpment you need to walk away and come
back...otherwise, you can't.

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

Dolf <ey@as.com.invalid> wrote in news:d8gvkr$d0e$1@phys-news1.kolumbus.fi:

> If you press the right mouse button, CJ will always face the direction
> your camera is pointing, so you can strafe and walk backwards.

Not true...face yourself and press the RMB...he will fire up into the air.