Webpages automatically extracting default mail address

My Norton Internet Security 2004 'protect personal information' facility is
alerting to me to certain websites trying to automatically retrieve and send
back to the server my email address. A very clever trick! How's it done?

--
"If everyone followed my method of deleting all but the snippet of an
earlier message they were replying to then these newsgroups would be a hell

    In article <40fc25d8$1_2@mk-nntp-1.news.uk.worldonline.com>,
    mindyourownbusiness@123.com says...
    > My Norton Internet Security 2004 'protect personal information' facility is
    > alerting to me to certain websites trying to automatically retrieve and send
    > back to the server my email address. A very clever trick! How's it done?

    Actually, it's looking at your host name and login name - I would bet
    it's not looking for your "email" address.

    spamfree999@rrohio.com
    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    "ITMA" <mindyourownbusiness@123.com> wrote in

    > My Norton Internet Security 2004 'protect personal information'
    > facility is alerting to me to certain websites trying to automatically
    > retrieve and send back to the server my email address. A very clever
    > trick! How's it done?

    It's being done through the browser using *cookies*. Cookies are files
    kept on your machine and server side scripting such as ASP or JAVA will
    gather information about you and store them in *cookies* on your machine
    and retrieve this information when you visit a site. Also, server side
    scripting can also keep cookies on the server about you and will know
    when you access a sight by interrogating the browser to obtain
    information to access the cookies that have been kept on the Web server
    about you.

    There is no magic going on and it's just Web programming that's all
    nothing special. ;-)

    Duane :)

    "ITMA" <mindyourownbusiness@123.com> wrote in message
    > My Norton Internet Security 2004 'protect personal information' facility
    is
    > alerting to me to certain websites trying to automatically retrieve and
    send
    > back to the server my email address. A very clever trick! How's it done?
    >
    > --
    > "If everyone followed my method of deleting all but the snippet of an
    > earlier message they were replying to then these newsgroups would be a
    hell
    > of a lot easier to read"

    at a guess, you've signed up to these sites, and used your email address as
    a logon name. You've clicked "remember me" or something similar when logging
    on. A cookie was stored on your computer, everytime the website reads this
    info, norton alerts you.

    Or are these totally random sites you've never been to before?

Firewalls Internet Security Networking