G6-400 & Westell 2200 (DSL) modem

Last response: in Computer Brands
August 25, 2004 1:28:23 AM

Did anyone connect a G6-400 (Win98) with a Westell 2200 (DSL) modem via
(USB connectors!), and how did it go? Trying to install "Verizon Online
DSL" onto my old Gateway, but somehow the installation stalls by NOT
recognizing the modem. (Probably a driver problem and very frustrating,
to say the least).

I am in the process of buying a NIC and hopefully it will solve the
problem. Meanwhile, if anyone ever did the installation and there's a
trick to it please let me know. Thanks, Bruno
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 3:35:56 AM

A USB-to-DSL or USB-to-cable modem connection is to be avoided. Much much
better to install even an inexpensive 10/100 Ethernet card. The G6-400
motherboard has only USB 1.1 built-in, whereas the Westell 2200 may demand USB
2.0. Also, if your version of Windows 98 is not quite up to speed, your system
may lack the proper USB drivers. Regardless, go with a NIC! People living in
NYC used to say "Go NICs!", I think because they liked to network a lot.

.... Ben Myers

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 21:28:23 GMT, Bruno R <p.rosinke@att.net> wrote:

>Did anyone connect a G6-400 (Win98) with a Westell 2200 (DSL) modem via
>(USB connectors!), and how did it go? Trying to install "Verizon Online
>DSL" onto my old Gateway, but somehow the installation stalls by NOT
>recognizing the modem. (Probably a driver problem and very frustrating,
>to say the least).
>
>I am in the process of buying a NIC and hopefully it will solve the
>problem. Meanwhile, if anyone ever did the installation and there's a
>trick to it please let me know. Thanks, Bruno

Anonymous
August 26, 2004 4:44:35 PM

Thank you for the encouragement, Ben. I did go 'NICs' but I've
encountered a different problem. Trying to establish my account with
Verizon I cannot connect via the Westell 2200 (DSL) modem but instead
the built-in modem dials up my current AT&T connection. ;-(

It may take me a while to consult with someone more knowledgeable than
myself in order to solve this dilemma. Of course I could call Verizon
but they don't have the sharpest knives in the drawer, either, and I
don't need to reformat my HD, if you get the drift?! Thanks, Bruno

Ben Myers wrote:
> A USB-to-DSL or USB-to-cable modem connection is to be avoided. Much much
> better to install even an inexpensive 10/100 Ethernet card. The G6-400
> motherboard has only USB 1.1 built-in, whereas the Westell 2200 may demand USB
> 2.0. Also, if your version of Windows 98 is not quite up to speed, your system
> may lack the proper USB drivers. Regardless, go with a NIC! People living in
> NYC used to say "Go NICs!", I think because they liked to network a lot.
>
> .... Ben Myers
>
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 21:28:23 GMT, Bruno R <p.rosinke@att.net> wrote:
>

>>Did anyone connect a G6-400 (Win98) with a Westell 2200 (DSL) modem via
>>(USB connectors!), and how did it go? Trying to install "Verizon Online
>>DSL" onto my old Gateway, but somehow the installation stalls by NOT
>>recognizing the modem. (Probably a driver problem and very frustrating,
>>to say the least).
>>
>>I am in the process of buying a NIC and hopefully it will solve the
>>problem. Meanwhile, if anyone ever did the installation and there's a
>>trick to it please let me know. Thanks, Bruno

August 26, 2004 5:07:27 PM

Sorry, forgot to mention that the (Westell 2200 (DSL) modem) then is
connected to a LINKSYS Wireless-G Broadband Router to which two laptops
are attached that work just fine. The problem is only how to get the
Gateway G6-400 do a similar function. Bruno

Bruno R wrote:

> Thank you for the encouragement, Ben. I did go 'NICs' but I've
> encountered a different problem. Trying to establish my account with
> Verizon I cannot connect via the Westell 2200 (DSL) modem but instead
> the built-in modem dials up my current AT&T connection. ;-(
>
> It may take me a while to consult with someone more knowledgeable than
> myself in order to solve this dilemma. Of course I could call Verizon
> but they don't have the sharpest knives in the drawer, either, and I
> don't need to reformat my HD, if you get the drift?! Thanks, Bruno
>
> Ben Myers wrote:
>
>> A USB-to-DSL or USB-to-cable modem connection is to be avoided. Much
>> much
>> better to install even an inexpensive 10/100 Ethernet card. The G6-400
>> motherboard has only USB 1.1 built-in, whereas the Westell 2200 may
>> demand USB
>> 2.0. Also, if your version of Windows 98 is not quite up to speed,
>> your system
>> may lack the proper USB drivers. Regardless, go with a NIC! People
>> living in
>> NYC used to say "Go NICs!", I think because they liked to network a lot.
>>
>> .... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 21:28:23 GMT, Bruno R <p.rosinke@att.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Did anyone connect a G6-400 (Win98) with a Westell 2200 (DSL) modem
>>> via (USB connectors!), and how did it go? Trying to install "Verizon
>>> Online DSL" onto my old Gateway, but somehow the installation stalls
>>> by NOT recognizing the modem. (Probably a driver problem and very
>>> frustrating, to say the least).
>>>
>>> I am in the process of buying a NIC and hopefully it will solve the
>>> problem. Meanwhile, if anyone ever did the installation and there's
>>> a trick to it please let me know. Thanks, Bruno

Anonymous
August 26, 2004 7:15:04 PM

Click on Internet Options, either in IE or Control Panel, Click the Connections
Tab, then click the radio button "Never dial a connection"... Ben Myers

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:07:27 GMT, Bruno R <p.rosinke@att.net> wrote:

>Sorry, forgot to mention that the (Westell 2200 (DSL) modem) then is
>connected to a LINKSYS Wireless-G Broadband Router to which two laptops
>are attached that work just fine. The problem is only how to get the
>Gateway G6-400 do a similar function. Bruno
>
>Bruno R wrote:
>
>> Thank you for the encouragement, Ben. I did go 'NICs' but I've
>> encountered a different problem. Trying to establish my account with
>> Verizon I cannot connect via the Westell 2200 (DSL) modem but instead
>> the built-in modem dials up my current AT&T connection. ;-(
>>
>> It may take me a while to consult with someone more knowledgeable than
>> myself in order to solve this dilemma. Of course I could call Verizon
>> but they don't have the sharpest knives in the drawer, either, and I
>> don't need to reformat my HD, if you get the drift?! Thanks, Bruno
>>
>> Ben Myers wrote:
>>
>>> A USB-to-DSL or USB-to-cable modem connection is to be avoided. Much
>>> much
>>> better to install even an inexpensive 10/100 Ethernet card. The G6-400
>>> motherboard has only USB 1.1 built-in, whereas the Westell 2200 may
>>> demand USB
>>> 2.0. Also, if your version of Windows 98 is not quite up to speed,
>>> your system
>>> may lack the proper USB drivers. Regardless, go with a NIC! People
>>> living in
>>> NYC used to say "Go NICs!", I think because they liked to network a lot.
>>>
>>> .... Ben Myers

Anonymous
August 27, 2004 5:18:59 PM

That helped, of course, but I discovered to my dismay that when I wanted
to avail myself of "Windows98 Troubleshooters" they turned out to be
empty, i.e. when I click on the radio buttons there is no further
information ;-( Is there a way to reinstall this feature w/o messing up
something else? Bruno

Ben Myers wrote:
> Click on Internet Options, either in IE or Control Panel, Click the Connections
> Tab, then click the radio button "Never dial a connection"... Ben Myers
>
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:07:27 GMT, Bruno R <p.rosinke@att.net> wrote:
>

>>Sorry, forgot to mention that the (Westell 2200 (DSL) modem) then is
>>connected to a LINKSYS Wireless-G Broadband Router to which two laptops
>>are attached that work just fine. The problem is only how to get the
>>Gateway G6-400 do a similar function. Bruno
>>
>>Bruno R wrote:
>>

>>>Thank you for the encouragement, Ben. I did go 'NICs' but I've
>>>encountered a different problem. Trying to establish my account with
>>>Verizon I cannot connect via the Westell 2200 (DSL) modem but instead
>>>the built-in modem dials up my current AT&T connection. ;-(
>>>
>>>It may take me a while to consult with someone more knowledgeable than
>>>myself in order to solve this dilemma. Of course I could call Verizon
>>>but they don't have the sharpest knives in the drawer, either, and I
>>>don't need to reformat my HD, if you get the drift?! Thanks, Bruno

Anonymous
August 27, 2004 7:10:15 PM

"Windows98 Troubleshooters" is one of the more useless parts of Windows 98, but
if you want to reinstall it, there are two choices.

One is to identify the file(s) used, and to extract them from the Windows 98 CAB
files either on CD or somewhere on your hard drive. Unfortunately, I do not
have the names of these files handy. Extracting them usually requires that you
use the DOS-mode EXTRACT program with some fairly arcane command line
parameters. Beginning with some version of WINZIP (I forget which version),
WINZIP also opens up Windows CAB files, so if you have WINZIP on your computer
you can extract the files that way.

The other way is to reinstall Windows 98 over the existing Windows software,
selecting all options. This approach requires that you cross your fingers and
hope and pray that a Windows re-install does not botch up your computer.
Recovery of missing files is a non-existent feature of Windows 98. Windows
installs are always a bit perilous, because Microsoft gave scant attention to
anything that one might have to do to fix up a Windows 98 gone wrong.

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:18:59 GMT, Bruno R <p.rosinke@att.net> wrote:

>That helped, of course, but I discovered to my dismay that when I wanted
>to avail myself of "Windows98 Troubleshooters" they turned out to be
>empty, i.e. when I click on the radio buttons there is no further
>information ;-( Is there a way to reinstall this feature w/o messing up
>something else? Bruno
>
>Ben Myers wrote:
>> Click on Internet Options, either in IE or Control Panel, Click the Connections
>> Tab, then click the radio button "Never dial a connection"... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:07:27 GMT, Bruno R <p.rosinke@att.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Sorry, forgot to mention that the (Westell 2200 (DSL) modem) then is
>>>connected to a LINKSYS Wireless-G Broadband Router to which two laptops
>>>are attached that work just fine. The problem is only how to get the
>>>Gateway G6-400 do a similar function. Bruno

Anonymous
August 27, 2004 10:42:56 PM

Hi Ben;

To conclude this thread I again want to thank you for your most valuable
assistance. I had been thinking about reinstalling Windows 98 over the
existing Windows software as I had done a few times in the past w/o any
negative consequences. I will, though, cross my fingers and hope every
thing will turn out all right. Since I am not too dependent on this
'old' machine I'll take my chances. Thanks again, Bruno

Ben Myers wrote:
> "Windows98 Troubleshooters" is one of the more useless parts of Windows 98, but
> if you want to reinstall it, there are two choices.
>
> One is to identify the file(s) used, and to extract them from the Windows 98 CAB
> files either on CD or somewhere on your hard drive. Unfortunately, I do not
> have the names of these files handy. Extracting them usually requires that you
> use the DOS-mode EXTRACT program with some fairly arcane command line
> parameters. Beginning with some version of WINZIP (I forget which version),
> WINZIP also opens up Windows CAB files, so if you have WINZIP on your computer
> you can extract the files that way.
>
> The other way is to reinstall Windows 98 over the existing Windows software,
> selecting all options. This approach requires that you cross your fingers and
> hope and pray that a Windows re-install does not botch up your computer.
> Recovery of missing files is a non-existent feature of Windows 98. Windows
> installs are always a bit perilous, because Microsoft gave scant attention to
> anything that one might have to do to fix up a Windows 98 gone wrong.
>
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:18:59 GMT, Bruno R <p.rosinke@att.net> wrote:
>

>>That helped, of course, but I discovered to my dismay that when I wanted
>>to avail myself of "Windows98 Troubleshooters" they turned out to be
>>empty, i.e. when I click on the radio buttons there is no further
>>information ;-( Is there a way to reinstall this feature w/o messing up
>>something else? Bruno
>>
>>Ben Myers wrote:
>>
>>>Click on Internet Options, either in IE or Control Panel, Click the Connections
>>>Tab, then click the radio button "Never dial a connection"... Ben Myers

Anonymous
August 28, 2004 1:01:04 AM

Hi everybody!

One final note to this saga that I feel I should communicate. Just
finished trying re-installing Windows 98 over my existing Windows
software. However, the re-installation refused to take my legitimate
Product ID # 17598-OEM-0035085-40735 that came with the purchase of the
Gateway G6-400. It simply declared the number as invalid!! (There one
sits with all one's talent, but little can be done about the refusal.)

Fortunately, I was able to restore this functional computer to its
previous condition. With that I must give credit to Win98 as a rather
robust operating system, IMHO ;-). I have XP as well as XPP on my other
machines, but I still like the 'elegant' simplicity of Win98.

Take care, Bruno

Bruno R wrote:
> Hi Ben;
>
> To conclude this thread I again want to thank you for your most valuable
> assistance. I had been thinking about reinstalling Windows 98 over the
> existing Windows software as I had done a few times in the past w/o any
> negative consequences. I will, though, cross my fingers and hope every
> thing will turn out all right. Since I am not too dependent on this
> 'old' machine I'll take my chances. Thanks again, Bruno
>
> Ben Myers wrote:
>
>> "Windows98 Troubleshooters" is one of the more useless parts of
>> Windows 98, but
>> if you want to reinstall it, there are two choices.
>> One is to identify the file(s) used, and to extract them from the
>> Windows 98 CAB
>> files either on CD or somewhere on your hard drive. Unfortunately, I
>> do not
>> have the names of these files handy. Extracting them usually requires
>> that you
>> use the DOS-mode EXTRACT program with some fairly arcane command line
>> parameters. Beginning with some version of WINZIP (I forget which
>> version),
>> WINZIP also opens up Windows CAB files, so if you have WINZIP on your
>> computer
>> you can extract the files that way.
>>
>> The other way is to reinstall Windows 98 over the existing Windows
>> software,
>> selecting all options. This approach requires that you cross your
>> fingers and
>> hope and pray that a Windows re-install does not botch up your computer.
>> Recovery of missing files is a non-existent feature of Windows 98.
>> Windows
>> installs are always a bit perilous, because Microsoft gave scant
>> attention to
>> anything that one might have to do to fix up a Windows 98 gone wrong.
>>
>> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:18:59 GMT, Bruno R <p.rosinke@att.net> wrote:
>>
>>> That helped, of course, but I discovered to my dismay that when I
>>> wanted to avail myself of "Windows98 Troubleshooters" they turned out
>>> to be empty, i.e. when I click on the radio buttons there is no
>>> further information ;-( Is there a way to reinstall this feature w/o
>>> messing up something else? Bruno

Anonymous
August 29, 2004 6:48:19 PM

Bruno R wrote:

> Hi everybody!
>
> One final note to this saga that I feel I should communicate. Just
> finished trying re-installing Windows 98 over my existing Windows
> software. However, the re-installation refused to take my legitimate
> Product ID # 17598-OEM-0035085-40735 that came with the purchase of the
> Gateway G6-400. It simply declared the number as invalid!! (There one
> sits with all one's talent, but little can be done about the refusal.)
>
> Fortunately, I was able to restore this functional computer to its
> previous condition. With that I must give credit to Win98 as a rather
> robust operating system, IMHO ;-). I have XP as well as XPP on my other
> machines, but I still like the 'elegant' simplicity of Win98.
>
> Take care, Bruno

It was my error, because the registration number is printed on the
"Getting Started Microsoft Windows98" For distribution with a new PC only.
(I had mistaken Product ID for registration number).

Now, I have second thoughts about re-installing Win98, because I have
updated
the system files already too often in the past, and I fear I will lose
the benefit
of those previous updates. What say you?

Thanks, Bruno
!