memory help please

Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 24, 2005 5:57:04 PM

hello,
i am putting together 2 systems:
1. intel p4 (520 or 530j) (p5gdc-v deluxe)
2. amd athlon 64 3000+ (a8v-deluxe)
and need advice on memory:
specs are ddr1
184 pin (4 banks)
non-ecc, unbuffered, 400 pc3200
won't be for gaming HOWEVER need a reliable (good) brand.
(don't want to be troubleshooting ram)
not even sure how much to get (512 mbs or 1 gb?) and whether to get a
kit (i guess the kits have the heatsinks or spreaders)
any advice is greatly appreciated!
thanks!

More about : memory

July 24, 2005 6:05:07 PM

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?model=P5GDC%...

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?model=A8V+De...

> and need advice on memory:
> specs are ddr1
> 184 pin (4 banks)
> non-ecc, unbuffered, 400 pc3200
> won't be for gaming HOWEVER need a reliable (good) brand.

Crucial is where I've gone for years. It's guaranteed to be
work with your board. ...for life.

> (don't want to be troubleshooting ram) not even sure how much to get
> (512 mbs or 1 gb?) and whether to get a kit (i guess the kits have the
> heatsinks or spreaders) any advice is greatly appreciated! thanks!

As much as you can afford. ;-)

--
Keith
July 24, 2005 10:04:58 PM

keith wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 13:57:04 -0400, Tanya wrote:
>
> > hello,
> > i am putting together 2 systems:
> > 1. intel p4 (520 or 530j) (p5gdc-v deluxe)
>
> http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?model=P5GDC%...
>
> > 2. amd athlon 64 3000+ (a8v-deluxe)
>
> http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?model=A8V+De...
>
> > and need advice on memory:
> > specs are ddr1
> > 184 pin (4 banks)
> > non-ecc, unbuffered, 400 pc3200
> > won't be for gaming HOWEVER need a reliable (good) brand.
>
> Crucial is where I've gone for years. It's guaranteed to be
> work with your board. ...for life.
>
> > (don't want to be troubleshooting ram) not even sure how much to get
> > (512 mbs or 1 gb?) and whether to get a kit (i guess the kits have the
> > heatsinks or spreaders) any advice is greatly appreciated! thanks!
>
> As much as you can afford. ;-)
>
> --
> Keith

thanks Kieth,
but do you know whether it is better to get the memory in a kit? (what the kit
contains (it is not on crucial's site -- at least i cannot find a definition
of the kit:)
(i also assume since each board runs 400 /pc3200, getting less (i.e. pc2700)
is stupid?)
sincerely
Tanya
Related resources
July 24, 2005 11:24:19 PM

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 18:04:58 -0400, Tanya wrote:

> keith wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 13:57:04 -0400, Tanya wrote:
>>
>> > hello,
>> > i am putting together 2 systems:
>> > 1. intel p4 (520 or 530j) (p5gdc-v deluxe)
>>
>> http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?model=P5GDC%...
>>
>> > 2. amd athlon 64 3000+ (a8v-deluxe)
>>
>> http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?model=A8V+De...
>>
>> > and need advice on memory:
>> > specs are ddr1
>> > 184 pin (4 banks)
>> > non-ecc, unbuffered, 400 pc3200
>> > won't be for gaming HOWEVER need a reliable (good) brand.
>>
>> Crucial is where I've gone for years. It's guaranteed to be
>> work with your board. ...for life.
>>
>> > (don't want to be troubleshooting ram) not even sure how much to get
>> > (512 mbs or 1 gb?) and whether to get a kit (i guess the kits have the
>> > heatsinks or spreaders) any advice is greatly appreciated! thanks!
>>
>> As much as you can afford. ;-)
>>
>> --
>> Keith
>
> thanks Kieth,
> but do you know whether it is better to get the memory in a kit? (what the kit
> contains (it is not on crucial's site -- at least i cannot find a definition
> of the kit:)

Buy what the recommend and be happy. It *will* work. You won't pay more
than any other respectible supplier. It is *guaranteed* for as long as
you live. .well, I'm not sure how they do this, but... ;-)

> (i also assume since each board runs 400 /pc3200, getting less
> (i.e. pc2700) is stupid?)

Likely not, but is there a real $$ difference? Buy what they suggest and
relax. It's a great company to deal with. I haven't gone elsewhere in ten
years, not *one* problem. Crucial is a class act!

--
Keith
Anonymous

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 13:57:04 -0400, Tanya <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net>
wrote:

>hello,
>i am putting together 2 systems:
>1. intel p4 (520 or 530j) (p5gdc-v deluxe)
>2. amd athlon 64 3000+ (a8v-deluxe)
>and need advice on memory:
>specs are ddr1
>184 pin (4 banks)
>non-ecc, unbuffered, 400 pc3200
>won't be for gaming HOWEVER need a reliable (good) brand.
>(don't want to be troubleshooting ram)
>not even sure how much to get (512 mbs or 1 gb?) and whether to get a
>kit (i guess the kits have the heatsinks or spreaders)

This is the best buy around:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682... and it's
Crucial. I've used a pair of those in 3 different Athlon64 systems - works
flawlessly at 3-3-3-8 and 1T command rate. They use 512Mb chips so only
one rank per DIMM, which makes future addition without down-clocking almost
a certainty - get an Athlon64 Venice core for even more assurance there.

DDR-SDRAM does *not* need heat apreaders - all chips on a DIMM side are
working at the same wattage all the time; heat spreaders reduce air space
between DIMMs and in some mbrds where slots are very/too(?) close together
can actually touch each other... not good.:-)

The kits of pairs are just mainly a PR angle and to a certain extent to
protect against people who don't know any better.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
July 26, 2005 3:41:03 PM

keith wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 18:04:58 -0400, Tanya wrote:
>
> > keith wrote:

> >> http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?model=P5GDC%...

> >> http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?model=A8V+De...

> >> Crucial is where I've gone for years. It's guaranteed to be
> >> work with your board. ...for life.

> >> As much as you can afford. ;-)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Keith
> >
> > thanks Kieth,
> > but do you know whether it is better to get the memory in a kit? (what the kit
> > contains (it is not on crucial's site -- at least i cannot find a definition
> > of the kit:)
>
> Buy what the recommend and be happy. It *will* work. You won't pay more
> than any other respectible supplier. It is *guaranteed* for as long as
> you live. .well, I'm not sure how they do this, but... ;-)

i never know what they mean by lifeTime (who's -- the memory chip's lifeTime? the
pc's lifeTime? my lifeTime?:)

> > (i also assume since each board runs 400 /pc3200, getting less
> > (i.e. pc2700) is stupid?)
>
> Likely not, but is there a real $$ difference? Buy what they suggest and
> relax. It's a great company to deal with. I haven't gone elsewhere in ten
> years, not *one* problem. Crucial is a class act!
>
> --
> Keith

thanks Keith
(i am not going to get any lower then pc3200...)
sincerely
Tanya
July 26, 2005 3:48:24 PM

hi George,
thanks for the reply!
[...below...]

George Macdonald wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 13:57:04 -0400, Tanya <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net>
> wrote:
>
> >hello,
> >i am putting together 2 systems:
> >1. intel p4 (520 or 530j) (p5gdc-v deluxe)
> >2. amd athlon 64 3000+ (a8v-deluxe)
> >and need advice on memory:
> >specs are ddr1
> >184 pin (4 banks)
> >non-ecc, unbuffered, 400 pc3200
> >won't be for gaming HOWEVER need a reliable (good) brand.
> >(don't want to be troubleshooting ram)
> >not even sure how much to get (512 mbs or 1 gb?) and whether to get a
> >kit (i guess the kits have the heatsinks or spreaders)
>
> This is the best buy around:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682... and it's
> Crucial. I've used a pair of those in 3 different Athlon64 systems - works
> flawlessly at 3-3-3-8 and 1T command rate. They use 512Mb chips so only
> one rank per DIMM, which makes future addition without down-clocking almost
> a certainty - get an Athlon64 Venice core for even more assurance there.

i'll get the cpu with the venice core (assuming i can specify)

the above link has the model# as CT6464Z40B.8T
do you know what the .8T means?
(it is not on crucial's site...i.e. CT6464Z40B is on crucial's site but
CT6464Z40B.8T is not)
also do you know why on the mem matcher (on crucial's Web site) the asus
av8-dlx (for the amd) suggests a mem module of 256 mb's whereas the p5gdc-v dlx
(for the p4) returns a module of 512 mb's?

> DDR-SDRAM does *not* need heat apreaders - all chips on a DIMM side are
> working at the same wattage all the time; heat spreaders reduce air space
> between DIMMs and in some mbrds where slots are very/too(?) close together
> can actually touch each other... not good.:-)
>
> The kits of pairs are just mainly a PR angle and to a certain extent to
> protect against people who don't know any better.
>
> --
> Rgds, George Macdonald

thanks again!
sincerely
Tanya
July 27, 2005 12:21:09 AM

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:41:03 -0400, Tanya wrote:

> i never know what they mean by lifeTime (who's -- the memory chip's lifeTime? the
> pc's lifeTime? my lifeTime?:)

As long as you own it. ...and they're still alive. ;-)

--
Keith
Anonymous

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:48:24 -0400, Tanya <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net>
wrote:

>hi George,
>thanks for the reply!
>[...below...]
>
>George Macdonald wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 13:57:04 -0400, Tanya <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >hello,
>> >i am putting together 2 systems:
>> >1. intel p4 (520 or 530j) (p5gdc-v deluxe)
>> >2. amd athlon 64 3000+ (a8v-deluxe)
>> >and need advice on memory:
>> >specs are ddr1
>> >184 pin (4 banks)
>> >non-ecc, unbuffered, 400 pc3200
>> >won't be for gaming HOWEVER need a reliable (good) brand.
>> >(don't want to be troubleshooting ram)
>> >not even sure how much to get (512 mbs or 1 gb?) and whether to get a
>> >kit (i guess the kits have the heatsinks or spreaders)
>>
>> This is the best buy around:
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682... and it's
>> Crucial. I've used a pair of those in 3 different Athlon64 systems - works
>> flawlessly at 3-3-3-8 and 1T command rate. They use 512Mb chips so only
>> one rank per DIMM, which makes future addition without down-clocking almost
>> a certainty - get an Athlon64 Venice core for even more assurance there.
>
>i'll get the cpu with the venice core (assuming i can specify)
>
>the above link has the model# as CT6464Z40B.8T
>do you know what the .8T means?
>(it is not on crucial's site...i.e. CT6464Z40B is on crucial's site but
>CT6464Z40B.8T is not)

Yeah I dunno what's up with the Crucial site not differentiating but the 8T
means 8 devices/chips. If you look at the other similar DIMM, without the
8T, listed at NewEgg, it has 16 devices/chips. In fact if you look at the
labels in the pics of the DIMMs you can see that one has .8T and the other
..16T as a suffix in the Crucial label.

>also do you know why on the mem matcher (on crucial's Web site) the asus
>av8-dlx (for the amd) suggests a mem module of 256 mb's whereas the p5gdc-v dlx
>(for the p4) returns a module of 512 mb's?

I've no idea why they'd only recommend 256MB but the All Compatible
Upgrades tab goes up to 1GB modules for the A8V-DLX.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
August 1, 2005 1:09:22 AM

keith wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:41:03 -0400, Tanya wrote:
>
> > i never know what they mean by lifeTime (who's -- the memory chip's lifeTime? the
> > pc's lifeTime? my lifeTime?:)
>
> As long as you own it. ...and they're still alive. ;-)
>

> --
> Keith

thank you, Keith,
guess i'd never know if it was my lifeTime
:)
sincerely
Tanya
August 1, 2005 1:52:18 AM

George Macdonald wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:48:24 -0400, Tanya <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net>
> wrote:
>
> >hi George,
> >thanks for the reply!
> >[...below...]

> >> This is the best buy around:
> >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682... and it's
> >> Crucial. I've used a pair of those in 3 different Athlon64 systems - works
> >> flawlessly at 3-3-3-8 and 1T command rate. They use 512Mb chips so only
> >> one rank per DIMM, which makes future addition without down-clocking almost
> >> a certainty - get an Athlon64 Venice core for even more assurance there.
> >
> >i'll get the cpu with the venice core (assuming i can specify)
> >
> >the above link has the model# as CT6464Z40B.8T
> >do you know what the .8T means?
> >(it is not on crucial's site...i.e. CT6464Z40B is on crucial's site but
> >CT6464Z40B.8T is not)
>
> Yeah I dunno what's up with the Crucial site not differentiating but the 8T
> means 8 devices/chips. If you look at the other similar DIMM, without the
> 8T, listed at NewEgg, it has 16 devices/chips. In fact if you look at the
> labels in the pics of the DIMMs you can see that one has .8T and the other
> .16T as a suffix in the Crucial label.

thanks for answering...

> >also do you know why on the mem matcher (on crucial's Web site) the asus
> >av8-dlx (for the amd) suggests a mem module of 256 mb's whereas the p5gdc-v dlx
> >(for the p4) returns a module of 512 mb's?
>
> I've no idea why they'd only recommend 256MB but the All Compatible
> Upgrades tab goes up to 1GB modules for the A8V-DLX.

yes at least both use the same kind of ram

> --
> Rgds, George Macdonald

i appreciate the help!
thanks