Best Tri-Mode ?

Last response: in Network Providers
July 22, 2005 2:27:06 PM

What is the best Tri-Mode phone that Verizon currently offers...

I have no interest in having a camera...even a color screen is not
that important.

Pegleg
U.S. Navy Retired
Support Our Troops

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words:
freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Sir Winston Churchill

More about : tri mode

July 22, 2005 10:39:20 PM

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 10:27:06 -0700, Pegleg wrote:

> What is the best Tri-Mode phone that Verizon currently offers...
>
> I have no interest in having a camera...even a color screen is not
> that important.
>
> Pegleg
> U.S. Navy Retired
> Support Our Troops
>
> All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words:
> freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
> Sir Winston Churchill

Motorola V710 .. I too did not care about a camera or color screens but I
insist on Tri-mode (as long as they still exist). I found the V710 to be
the best of the currently available tri's.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 11:27:06 PM

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 18:39:20 -0400, Jim <jim@none.no> wrote:

>Motorola V710 .. I too did not care about a camera or color screens but I
>insist on Tri-mode (as long as they still exist). I found the V710 to be
>the best of the currently available tri's.

Thanks but I hate flip phones...should have put that in my original
post!

Pegleg
U.S. Navy Retired
Support Our Troops

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words:
freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Sir Winston Churchill
July 24, 2005 11:17:44 AM

Nokia 6015i

David R. Goyer

"Pegleg" <brian-s-jones@comcast.spam.net> wrote in message
> What is the best Tri-Mode phone that Verizon currently offers...
>
> I have no interest in having a camera...even a color screen is not
> that important.
>
> Pegleg
> U.S. Navy Retired
> Support Our Troops
>
> All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words:
> freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
> Sir Winston Churchill
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 11:17:45 AM

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 07:17:44 -0500, "David R Goyer"
<davgo@comcast.net> wrote:

>Nokia 6015i

Did you read the original post?

Verizon does not even offer this phone!

Pegleg
U.S. Navy Retired
Support Our Troops

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words:
freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Sir Winston Churchill
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 6:07:51 PM

In article <ou67e1lu9p1j1kkudj5spt3fl39361441e@4ax.com>,
Pegleg <brian-s-jones@comcast.spam.net> wrote:
>On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 07:17:44 -0500, "David R Goyer"
><davgo@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>Nokia 6015i
>
>Did you read the original post?
>
>Verizon does not even offer this phone!
>
>Pegleg
>U.S. Navy Retired
>Support Our Troops
>
>All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words:
>freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
> Sir Winston Churchill

There are (at least) two views to the original question and this answer.

1) _New_ phones w/o camera

2) _Any_ phones supported by VZW w/o camera

If the question asked the first (inferences can sometimes be difficult to
interpret) then a nicer version of the above response would be been more
appropriate.

If the question asked the latter, then research should be performed before
responding.

A very reliable source for cell phones is www.phonescoop.com. The URL
http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=514 leads you to the Nokia
6015i. It _was_ offered by Verizon Wireless, hense it has every right to
be cited as an answer, but it has been discontinued.

Just because a product is not listed with a vendor _now_ doesn't mean it
_never_ was.

Hope that helps.

Scott
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 6:07:52 PM

On 24 Jul 2005 14:07:51 GMT, scott@mit.edu (Scott Ehrlich) wrote:

>Just because a product is not listed with a vendor _now_ doesn't mean it
>_never_ was.
Why would I be interested in a phone that is no longer offered by the
carrier?

I could care less what was offered last year/last month or last week.

Pegleg
U.S. Navy Retired
Support Our Troops

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words:
freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Sir Winston Churchill
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 7:19:06 PM

In article <6s87e1tdtdmpuuvq9l3dljpqentbojr7ge@4ax.com>,
Pegleg <brian-s-jones@comcast.spam.net> wrote:
>On 24 Jul 2005 14:07:51 GMT, scott@mit.edu (Scott Ehrlich) wrote:
>

>>Just because a product is not listed with a vendor _now_ doesn't mean it
>>_never_ was.
>Why would I be interested in a phone that is no longer offered by the
>carrier?
>
>I could care less what was offered last year/last month or last week.

Well, it depends on what a person is looking for. Latest and greatest do
not always mean best. I am currently on a two year plan. At the time, I
was looking for a phone with the best camera available. I ended up with
an LG VX6100. Good camera, and in a Verizon Wireless-covered area where I
live, bad coverage with the phone. I have since reverted back to my ol'
trusty Motorola 270c. It was abandonded long ago by Verizon, but is still
considered one the best phones for voice quality (both ear and
microphone), and speakerphone, not to mention outstanding digital signal
quality (high output power on analog and digital to the tower) available
today. Calls made with it today still sound better and receive more
favorable results than my VX 6100.

Analog as a backup is still critically important, and this phone certainly
does that well, too.

Again, it depends on what the need is of the individual. If you want the
latest and greatest, my choice would certainly not work for you. But, for
a nice, simple phone with great coverage and amazing overall sound quality
with no other frills, my 270c is perfect for me, that is, until VZW offers
something better to my appeal, when my contract expires in a year and a
half.

>Pegleg
>U.S. Navy Retired
>Support Our Troops
>
>All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words:
>freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
> Sir Winston Churchill

Scott
July 24, 2005 8:17:19 PM

"Pegleg" <brian-s-jones@comcast.spam.net> wrote in message
news:o u67e1lu9p1j1kkudj5spt3fl39361441e@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 07:17:44 -0500, "David R Goyer"
> <davgo@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>Nokia 6015i
>
> Did you read the original post?
>
> Verizon does not even offer this phone!
>
> Pegleg
> U.S. Navy Retired
> Support Our Troops

Perhaps if you asked... even if you don't ask nicely they have them in
stock, just not on display. And yes they do offer them still as pre-pay
phones. If you want a bar phone go to Cingular or T-mobile then!

AL
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 3:25:00 AM

Pegleg,

You should get your facts straight before you respond in a rude manner. For
your information, the Nokia 6015i is still available as I just purchased one
from a Verizon store near my home.

In the future, try not to be rude.

David R. Goyer
"AL" <al145@.x..com> wrote in message news:D c1di70deu@news2.newsguy.com...
> "Pegleg" <brian-s-jones@comcast.spam.net> wrote in message
> news:o u67e1lu9p1j1kkudj5spt3fl39361441e@4ax.com...
>> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 07:17:44 -0500, "David R Goyer"
>> <davgo@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Nokia 6015i
>>
>> Did you read the original post?
>>
>> Verizon does not even offer this phone!
>>
>> Pegleg
>> U.S. Navy Retired
>> Support Our Troops
>
> Perhaps if you asked... even if you don't ask nicely they have them in
> stock, just not on display. And yes they do offer them still as pre-pay
> phones. If you want a bar phone go to Cingular or T-mobile then!
>
> AL

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 3:25:01 AM

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 23:25:00 -0500, "David R Goyer"
<davgo@comcast.net> wrote:

>You should get your facts straight before you respond in a rude manner. For
>your information, the Nokia 6015i is still available as I just purchased one
>from a Verizon store near my home.
I checked with my Verizon and was told the phone is no longer
available in my area!
Pegleg
U.S. Navy Retired
Support Our Troops

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words:
freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Sir Winston Churchill
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 3:27:08 AM

Thanks for supporting me.

David R. Goyer

"Scott Ehrlich" <scott@mit.edu> wrote in message
> In article <ou67e1lu9p1j1kkudj5spt3fl39361441e@4ax.com>,
> Pegleg <brian-s-jones@comcast.spam.net> wrote:
>>On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 07:17:44 -0500, "David R Goyer"
>><davgo@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Nokia 6015i
>>
>>Did you read the original post?
>>
>>Verizon does not even offer this phone!
>>
>>Pegleg
>>U.S. Navy Retired
>>Support Our Troops
>>
>>All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words:
>>freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
>> Sir Winston Churchill
>

> There are (at least) two views to the original question and this answer.
>
> 1) _New_ phones w/o camera
>
> 2) _Any_ phones supported by VZW w/o camera
>

> If the question asked the first (inferences can sometimes be difficult to
> interpret) then a nicer version of the above response would be been more
> appropriate.
>
> If the question asked the latter, then research should be performed before
> responding.
>
> A very reliable source for cell phones is www.phonescoop.com. The URL
> http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=514 leads you to the Nokia
> 6015i. It _was_ offered by Verizon Wireless, hense it has every right to
> be cited as an answer, but it has been discontinued.
>
> Just because a product is not listed with a vendor _now_ doesn't mean it
> _never_ was.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Scott
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 3:27:09 AM

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 23:27:08 -0500, "David R Goyer"
<davgo@comcast.net> wrote:

>Thanks for supporting me.
>
>David R. Goyer
but it has been discontinued.

>> Just because a product is not listed with a vendor _now_ doesn't mean it
>> _never_ was.
Who in hell cares what was once offered? Verizon tells me it is no
longer available!
Pegleg
U.S. Navy Retired
Support Our Troops

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words:
freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Sir Winston Churchill
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 3:29:05 AM

Yes, they do offer them on pre-pay however, I have mine on AC1.

David R. Goyer

"AL" <al145@.x..com> wrote in message news:D c1di70deu@news2.newsguy.com...
> "Pegleg" <brian-s-jones@comcast.spam.net> wrote in message
> news:o u67e1lu9p1j1kkudj5spt3fl39361441e@4ax.com...
>> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 07:17:44 -0500, "David R Goyer"
>> <davgo@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Nokia 6015i
>>
>> Did you read the original post?
>>
>> Verizon does not even offer this phone!
>>
>> Pegleg
>> U.S. Navy Retired
>> Support Our Troops
>
> Perhaps if you asked... even if you don't ask nicely they have them in
> stock, just not on display. And yes they do offer them still as pre-pay
> phones. If you want a bar phone go to Cingular or T-mobile then!
>
> AL

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 12:04:18 PM

Pegleg wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 23:27:08 -0500, "David R Goyer"
> <davgo@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for supporting me.
>>
>> David R. Goyer
> but it has been discontinued.
>>>
>>> Just because a product is not listed with a vendor
>>> _now_ doesn't mean it _never_ was.
> Who in hell cares what was once offered? Verizon tells
> me it is no longer available!

Great. You asked. Some people responded with what
they thought might be helpful. Why don't you take what
you got, use what you can, and if you're disatisfied ask
for a refund...

-Quick
July 25, 2005 7:10:43 PM

> Who in hell cares what was once offered? Verizon tells me it is no
> longer available!
> Pegleg
> U.S. Navy Retired
> Support Our Troops

You and BBB in the Cingular group should get together and bitch about how
these companies are out to get you and everybody else is obviously wrong!

Buy a phone off e-Bay... now is that so hard or would you rather bitch and
be a TROLL!
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 8:39:07 PM

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 15:10:43 -0500, "AL" <al145@.x..com> wrote:

>You and BBB in the Cingular group should get together and bitch about how
>these companies are out to get you and everybody else is obviously wrong!

I have never said any carrier was "out-to-get me"! All I ever asked
was what was the best Tri-Mode phone currently available from Verizon.

Pegleg
U.S. Navy Retired
Support Our Troops

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words:
freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Sir Winston Churchill
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 11:06:46 PM

still considered by whom? I had that phone, and there was nothing
special about the 270c other than it had above average reception. Sound
quality on either end was not even close to the phone I replaced it with
(lg vx4400).

> trusty Motorola 270c. It was abandonded long ago by Verizon, but is still
> considered one the best phones for voice quality (both ear and
> microphone), and speakerphone, not to mention outstanding digital signal
> quality (high output power on analog and digital to the tower) available
> today. >
>
> Scott
July 26, 2005 11:31:47 AM

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 07:22:30 -0700, Pegleg
<brian-s-jones@comcast.spam.net> wrote:

>On 24 Jul 2005 14:07:51 GMT, scott@mit.edu (Scott Ehrlich) wrote:
>

>>Just because a product is not listed with a vendor _now_ doesn't mean it
>>_never_ was.
> ** Why would I be interested in a phone that is no longer offered by the
> carrier?
>
> I could care less what was offered last year/last month or last week. **
>
>Pegleg
>U.S. Navy Retired
>Support Our Troops
>
>All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words:
>freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
> Sir Winston Churchill

Hi Pegleg,

You could if you want to, buy the phone used (possibly eBay), or from
someone that carries the phone new (but older stock), I've done it and
my phone is still going strong and works well in my little fringe area
of the country. I made sure that it was originally a Verizon phone and
activated it online, now to activate phones they have to be GPS capable
phones according to most run of the mill CS Reps., it depends on who you
talk to on the GPS/activation facts, so, there's a heads up for you
there.

Ya know for someone asking for free advice, and an apparent aversion to
doing your own homework and research, you are a bit grouchy, relax and
b r e a t h e... Also did you happen to know that some brands of decaff
coffee can be just as robust and tasty as their regular blends, it seems
like you're wired and snappy... You might just try thanking the
responding poster for his time, move along and do your own homework,
damn bubba, you're back in the world now, things aren't as ordered or as
cut and dry as they were in the Navy...

Larry EMT-P

Access, adapt, apply and overcome. (that's how I found my phone)
Some Paramedic (EMT-P)

PS If you decide to respond with a grumpy reply, I won't respond
because we aren't face to face
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 11:45:53 AM

> On 24 Jul 2005 14:07:51 GMT, scott@mit.edu (Scott Ehrlich) wrote:
>

>>Just because a product is not listed with a vendor _now_ doesn't mean it
>>_never_ was.
> Why would I be interested in a phone that is no longer offered by the
> carrier?
>
> I could care less what was offered last year/last month or last week.

It's like buying a used car. The 2003 Mustang is no longer "offered" by Ford
new car dealers but there are many for sale from used car dealers or private
parties. A late model low mileage car in good condition will serve many
people's transportation needs and is usually good value. Same deal with a
used cell phone;-)