S754 vs S939 for cheap system

Hello everyone,

I've been looking at prices of socket-939 based systems (say, an
Athlon 64 3000+ Venice core) vs socket-754 based systems (64-bit
enabled Sempron). Cheap S754 motherboards have AGP, not PCI Express,
but the latest generation of video cards (even low-end parts) are
PCI Express it seems... I don't think there are many cheap S754
PCI-E motherboards? So the cost saving on the motherboard is minimal...

Did I miss something? Is there a way to build a cheap S754 system
with some ummmph, say Sempron 2800+ and GeForce 6600 (non-GT)? What
is the ATI equivalent of the 6600? Would the video cards from the
previous generation (GeForce FX5... and Radeon 9... if I understand
correctly) do the job as AGP cards?

I appreciate your feedback :)

--
Regards

"" wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've been looking at prices of socket-939 based systems (say,
> an
> Athlon 64 3000+ Venice core) vs socket-754 based systems
> (64-bit
> enabled Sempron). Cheap S754 motherboards have AGP, not PCI
> Express,
> but the latest generation of video cards (even low-end parts)
> are
> PCI Express it seems... I don't think there are many cheap
> S754
> PCI-E motherboards? So the cost saving on the motherboard is
> minimal...
>
> Did I miss something? Is there a way to build a cheap S754
> system
> with some ummmph, say Sempron 2800+ and GeForce 6600 (non-GT)?
> What
> is the ATI equivalent of the 6600? Would the video cards from
> the
> previous generation (GeForce FX5... and Radeon 9... if I
> understand
> correctly) do the job as AGP cards?
>
> I appreciate your feedback :)
>
> --
> Regards

Yes both 754 and 939 can use AGP or PCI-E but I think you better go
for 939 which has large Hypertransport (1000mhz x 2= 2Ghz).. I used
K8NXP-9 with FX-55 San Diego with ASUS Extreme X850XT PE 256MB card.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chips-S754-S939-cheap-system-ftopict60004.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=303994

"" wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've been looking at prices of socket-939 based systems (say,
> an
> Athlon 64 3000+ Venice core) vs socket-754 based systems
> (64-bit
> enabled Sempron). Cheap S754 motherboards have AGP, not PCI
> Express,
> but the latest generation of video cards (even low-end parts)
> are
> PCI Express it seems... I don't think there are many cheap
> S754
> PCI-E motherboards? So the cost saving on the motherboard is
> minimal...
>
> Did I miss something? Is there a way to build a cheap S754
> system
> with some ummmph, say Sempron 2800+ and GeForce 6600 (non-GT)?
> What
> is the ATI equivalent of the 6600? Would the video cards from
> the
> previous generation (GeForce FX5... and Radeon 9... if I
> understand
> correctly) do the job as AGP cards?
>
> I appreciate your feedback :)
>
> --
> Regards

If you are in Aus you can buy AMD-64 2800 processors for $178

Thing is with PCI Express is that the entry level cards don’t set
the
world on fire. The amount of people buying a budget system and
wanting to upgrade their PCI Express within a few months is high.
I have been using 256Mb Radeon 9700 Pro’s in systems because they
are available for $121 and you need to spend a few bucks on a
PCI Express card to match up with them. I think maybe PCI Express
prices will become more realistic, of course it depends where you
live.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chips-S754-S939-cheap-system-ftopict60004.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=308534

TRENDING THREADS