Asus A8N Sli-Deluxe Chip Fan Issues

Hi, I had this motherboard (specified in subject) and the chip fan has
made odd noises..and it stuggles to run..occasionally it stops n
starts at 10 second intervals.. I am wondering what would be the best
thing to do in this situation? thanks :)

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chips-Asus-A8N-Sli-Deluxe-Chip-Fan-Issues-ftopict59791.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=302430
7 answers Last reply
More about asus deluxe chip issues

    Just remember that with any passive cooled replacement, you need to be
    careful not to obstruct your gpu, or other cards.

    Some people are having problems because of this situation. If your sure
    your cards will fit, and you have good cooling in your case then a
    solution such as this will work.

    Rthoreau

    Bitstring
    <7_302430_e1c458123c55563906adf2c6d5e04203@hardwareforumz.com>, from the
    wonderful person nexx <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> said
    >Hi, I had this motherboard (specified in subject) and the chip fan has
    >made odd noises..and it stuggles to run..occasionally it stops n
    >starts at 10 second intervals.. I am wondering what would be the best
    >thing to do in this situation? thanks :)

    Best thing to do is replace it with a passive HS instead (I believe
    Zalmann make a suitable one). Second best thing, contact ASUS and
    they'll send you a replacement fan, which =might= last longer than the
    original .. the early ones certainly had a known problem. The really
    best thing would be to avoid all mobos with cheap and very nasty chipset
    fans on.

    I have this deja-vu feeling though, since ASUS have been screwing up
    chipset fans since the A7V133, by trying to save a few cents each time.
    Actually in many cases, if you're not overclocking, and don't run in
    ambients of 40c, the fan is not even needed except for marketing glitz.

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can

    On 4 Aug 2005 20:36:11 -0400, nexx <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com>
    wrote:

    >Hi, I had this motherboard (specified in subject) and the chip fan has
    >made odd noises..and it stuggles to run..occasionally it stops n
    >starts at 10 second intervals.. I am wondering what would be the best
    >thing to do in this situation? thanks :)

    Are you talking about the fan which sits on top of the nVidia nForce4 chip?
    Are you running any fan monitoring software which can change the speed of
    the fans. What I've seen on a MSI K8N(nForce3) mbrd is, when the software
    tries to slow the speed of the "northbridge" fan, it slows so much it falls
    below the threshold of RPM reporting and shows as "Slow" in the monitoring
    software. It's my belief that this fan is just not speed controllable and
    goes from fast to (near-)stopped as the voltage drops.

    It's also true that those chipset fans are real cheap jobs and seem to run
    at speeds much higher than CPU fans, with the expected noise - in another
    K8N(nForce4) system it runs at ~7500rpm!! In today's market, where noise
    is the "enemy", I can't understand why they use those things. I'm thinking
    of buying a decent quality "chipset fan" and replacing it.

    --
    Rgds, George Macdonald

    nexx wrote:

    > Hi, I had this motherboard [Asus A8N SLI Deluxe] and the chip fan has
    > made odd noises..and it stuggles to run..occasionally it stops n
    > starts at 10 second intervals.. I am wondering what would be the best
    > thing to do in this situation? thanks :)

    When you say "chip fan" do you mean the chipset fan? The one
    covering the nForce4 chipset?

    If so, I've heard Asus will send replacement fans.

    Google for it.

    <quote>
    One last thing about the chipset fan. I recommend calling the Asus
    RMA department and asking for a replacement chipset hsf if you have
    the little "screamer" (~8000rpm) on your board. The replacement hsf
    is a little bigger and runs much quieter... The original chipset fan
    has known issues and is very noisy. I called and received the
    replacement in a week which I installed with AS5.
    </quote>

    "" wrote:
    > Bitstring
    > <7_302430_e1c458123c55563906adf2c6d5e04203@hardwareforumz.com>,
    > from the
    > wonderful person nexx <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> said
    > >Hi, I had this motherboard (specified in subject) and the
    > chip fan has
    > >made odd noises..and it stuggles to run..occasionally it
    > stops n
    > >starts at 10 second intervals.. I am wondering what would be
    > the best
    > >thing to do in this situation? thanks :)
    >
    > Best thing to do is replace it with a passive HS instead (I
    > believe
    > Zalmann make a suitable one). Second best thing, contact ASUS
    > and
    > they'll send you a replacement fan, which =might= last longer
    > than the
    > original .. the early ones certainly had a known problem. The
    > really
    > best thing would be to avoid all mobos with cheap and very
    > nasty chipset
    > fans on.
    >
    > I have this deja-vu feeling though, since ASUS have been
    > screwing up
    > chipset fans since the A7V133, by trying to save a few cents
    > each time.
    > Actually in many cases, if you're not overclocking, and don't
    > run in
    > ambients of 40c, the fan is not even needed except for
    > marketing glitz.
    >
    > --
    > GSV Three Minds in a Can
    > Contact recommends the use of Firefox; SC recommends it at
    > gunpoint.

    Well I guess i may not even need it..The only thing overclocked on my
    mobo is the the gfx card (geforce 6800 ultra gt OC). Well they sent
    theyre replacement so i mite aswell attempt to putt it on haha...those
    things are tricky tho -_-.. Thanks for you help its much appreciated
    :)

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chips-Asus-A8N-Sli-Deluxe-Chip-Fan-Issues-ftopict59791.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=303428

    "" wrote:
    > On 4 Aug 2005 20:36:11 -0400, nexx
    > <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hi, I had this motherboard (specified in subject) and the
    > chip fan has
    > >made odd noises..and it stuggles to run..occasionally it
    > stops n
    > >starts at 10 second intervals.. I am wondering what would be
    > the best
    > >thing to do in this situation? thanks :)
    >
    > Are you talking about the fan which sits on top of the nVidia
    > nForce4 chip?
    > Are you running any fan monitoring software which can change
    > the speed of
    > the fans. What I've seen on a MSI K8N(nForce3) mbrd is, when
    > the software
    > tries to slow the speed of the "northbridge" fan, it slows so
    > much it falls
    > below the threshold of RPM reporting and shows as "Slow" in
    > the monitoring
    > software. It's my belief that this fan is just not speed
    > controllable and
    > goes from fast to (near-)stopped as the voltage drops.
    >
    > It's also true that those chipset fans are real cheap jobs and
    > seem to run
    > at speeds much higher than CPU fans, with the expected noise -
    > in another
    > K8N(nForce4) system it runs at ~7500rpm!! In today's market,
    > where noise
    > is the "enemy", I can't understand why they use those things.
    > I'm thinking
    > of buying a decent quality "chipset fan" and replacing it.
    >
    > --
    > Rgds, George Macdonald

    Yea I have Asus PC Probe that monitors the fans. Right now i have the
    chip set fan monitor turned off because is just beeps if its on. The
    fan is running at 50% if u had to give it a number but PC Probe thinks
    its just at 0..Which may be true because the fan mite not be spinning
    fast enough to do anything..I figure that because I am not
    overclocking it or anything like that the fan isnt very very
    neccesary. My CPU temp is 30 degrees C and chipset is at 40. I dont
    think thats at a dangerous level but i dont know forsure. Either way
    ASUS said they sent a new fan so ill install it...probly take me
    awhile cuz its so annoying to do -_-

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chips-Asus-A8N-Sli-Deluxe-Chip-Fan-Issues-ftopict59791.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=303597

    On 8 Aug 2005 11:36:25 -0400, nexx <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com>
    wrote:

    >"" wrote:
    > > On 4 Aug 2005 20:36:11 -0400, nexx
    > > <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >Hi, I had this motherboard (specified in subject) and the
    > > chip fan has
    > > >made odd noises..and it stuggles to run..occasionally it
    > > stops n
    > > >starts at 10 second intervals.. I am wondering what would be
    > > the best
    > > >thing to do in this situation? thanks :)
    > >
    > > Are you talking about the fan which sits on top of the nVidia
    > > nForce4 chip?
    > > Are you running any fan monitoring software which can change
    > > the speed of
    > > the fans. What I've seen on a MSI K8N(nForce3) mbrd is, when
    > > the software
    > > tries to slow the speed of the "northbridge" fan, it slows so
    > > much it falls
    > > below the threshold of RPM reporting and shows as "Slow" in
    > > the monitoring
    > > software. It's my belief that this fan is just not speed
    > > controllable and
    > > goes from fast to (near-)stopped as the voltage drops.
    > >
    > > It's also true that those chipset fans are real cheap jobs and
    > > seem to run
    > > at speeds much higher than CPU fans, with the expected noise -
    > > in another
    > > K8N(nForce4) system it runs at ~7500rpm!! In today's market,
    > > where noise
    > > is the "enemy", I can't understand why they use those things.
    > > I'm thinking
    > > of buying a decent quality "chipset fan" and replacing it.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Rgds, George Macdonald
    >
    >Yea I have Asus PC Probe that monitors the fans. Right now i have the
    >chip set fan monitor turned off because is just beeps if its on. The
    >fan is running at 50% if u had to give it a number but PC Probe thinks
    >its just at 0..Which may be true because the fan mite not be spinning
    >fast enough to do anything.

    This is quite common: fans running below some software defined threshold
    showing as zero. It's a while since I used PCProbe but IIRC, it does have
    a setting for that threshold, which you might try lowering.

    >.I figure that because I am not
    >overclocking it or anything like that the fan isnt very very
    >neccesary. My CPU temp is 30 degrees C and chipset is at 40. I dont
    >think thats at a dangerous level but i dont know forsure. Either way
    >ASUS said they sent a new fan so ill install it...probly take me
    >awhile cuz its so annoying to do -_-

    It depends on your ambient of course but assuming that's a "comfortable"
    living space, the 40C seems a bit high for the chipset, especially if the
    CPU is reading so low. With Cool 'n' Quiet, the CPU generally runs just
    slightly above my chipset, say 34C vs. 32C but this is with MSI mbrds and
    every mfr may have different calibrations, err bugs.:-)

    --
    Rgds, George Macdonald

CPUs Chip Fan