Gateway notebook reliability

I am thinking of purchasing a Gateway 4520GZ notebook from BestBuy. It
has the weight, specs, and price I want. I am leery, however, of buying
anything from Gateway given the reputation of the company lately. Does
anyone have anything positive or negative to say about Gateway notebook
reliability of later models?
Thanks
Traci

I have a 450X purchased last December which has been flawless.

In news:58%Wc.3356$Y%3.2384@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net,
TBFox <tbfoxrdms@earthlink.net> stated
| I am thinking of purchasing a Gateway 4520GZ notebook from BestBuy. It
| has the weight, specs, and price I want. I am leery, however, of
| buying anything from Gateway given the reputation of the company
| lately. Does anyone have anything positive or negative to say about
| Gateway notebook reliability of later models?
| Thanks
| Traci

Scott

Traci,

My son and I each purchased a GW 400SP notebook a few years
ago, and both have performed flawlessly. I also have a GW 5150XL
notebook bought in Feb 1999, and it still works perfectly. The
backlight went out, requiring shipping it under the warranty to their
Texas repair facility. Also, the hard drive failed on two occasions.
Both times, Gateway replaced the drive to me under the warranty--
no hassle. I would not hesitate to buy another notebook from Gateway.

Scott

TBFox wrote:

> I am thinking of purchasing a Gateway 4520GZ notebook from BestBuy. It
> has the weight, specs, and price I want. I am leery, however, of buying
> anything from Gateway given the reputation of the company lately. Does
> anyone have anything positive or negative to say about Gateway notebook
> reliability of later models?
> Thanks
> Traci

I have a 200X purchased less than a year ago that has been working great
since I got it.

Turner

"TBFox" <tbfoxrdms@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I am thinking of purchasing a Gateway 4520GZ notebook from BestBuy. It
> has the weight, specs, and price I want. I am leery, however, of buying
> anything from Gateway given the reputation of the company lately. Does
> anyone have anything positive or negative to say about Gateway notebook
> reliability of later models?
> Thanks
> Traci

Interesting. One thing I notice is that it only includes a 1-year warranty.
In one minute of searching I couldn't find a way to increase this to 3
years. Lore has it that a 3-year warranty is de rigeur for laptops, so I
would be looking for some (extra cost) option from BestBuy to increase the
default warranty.

I also noticed from the extra snapshots that the touchpad doesn't appear to
have a scroll rocker button. Apparently it relies on the "vertical swipe
area" approach to scrolling.

No "legacy" ports! The world seems determined that I give up my parallel
port printer...

"TBFox" <tbfoxrdms@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I am thinking of purchasing a Gateway 4520GZ notebook from BestBuy. It
> has the weight, specs, and price I want. I am leery, however, of buying
> anything from Gateway given the reputation of the company lately. Does
> anyone have anything positive or negative to say about Gateway notebook
> reliability of later models?
> Thanks
> Traci

Scott

Gordon,

Yes, I would recommend to anyone to call Gateway before the one-year
warranty runs out and extend it for another 3 years. That's what Idid
on my 400SP notebook. Gateway sold me a 3-yr warranty for $139.99.
Notebooks tend to take more abuse, so an extended warranty is a wise
investment.

Scott

"Gordon McLean, Jr." wrote:

> Interesting. One thing I notice is that it only includes a 1-year warranty.
> In one minute of searching I couldn't find a way to increase this to 3
> years. Lore has it that a 3-year warranty is de rigeur for laptops, so I
> would be looking for some (extra cost) option from BestBuy to increase the
> default warranty.
>
> I also noticed from the extra snapshots that the touchpad doesn't appear to
> have a scroll rocker button. Apparently it relies on the "vertical swipe
> area" approach to scrolling.
>
> No "legacy" ports! The world seems determined that I give up my parallel
> port printer...
>
> "TBFox" <tbfoxrdms@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > I am thinking of purchasing a Gateway 4520GZ notebook from BestBuy. It
> > has the weight, specs, and price I want. I am leery, however, of buying
> > anything from Gateway given the reputation of the company lately. Does
> > anyone have anything positive or negative to say about Gateway notebook
> > reliability of later models?
> > Thanks
> > Traci

TRENDING THREADS