Strange problem with performance 600

I have a Niece who has an older Gateway performance 600 with win 98
installed. All of a sudden it started getting an OE fatal exception error
0167 bff92094 and windows will not boot. I tried safe mode same thing and a
win 98 boot disk no good either. In checking the bios the hard drive is not
being seen. However and this is the strange part, I can access C: from the
win 98 boot menu command prompt only. I tried disconnecting the drive and
reconnecting. No luck the bios still can't detect it yet I can here it
spinning and see it from the command prompt.
The file system seem to be intact. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Brian
4 answers Last reply
More about strange problem performance

    Can you get to c: prompt?

    Then type scanreg /restore

    select a restore point

    Brian wrote:

    >I have a Niece who has an older Gateway performance 600 with win 98
    >installed. All of a sudden it started getting an OE fatal exception error
    >0167 bff92094 and windows will not boot. I tried safe mode same thing and a
    >win 98 boot disk no good either. In checking the bios the hard drive is not
    >being seen. However and this is the strange part, I can access C: from the
    >win 98 boot menu command prompt only. I tried disconnecting the drive and
    >reconnecting. No luck the bios still can't detect it yet I can here it
    >spinning and see it from the command prompt.
    >The file system seem to be intact. Anyone have any ideas?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Brian

    Replace the C2032 3v lithium battery with a new one. Battery failures cause
    strange symptoms. That's my best guess. Batteries are cheap. It's worth a
    try as the first attempt to get the system back in the running... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 23:19:11 -0400, "Brian" <briancloutier@comcast.net> wrote:

    >I have a Niece who has an older Gateway performance 600 with win 98
    >installed. All of a sudden it started getting an OE fatal exception error
    >0167 bff92094 and windows will not boot. I tried safe mode same thing and a
    >win 98 boot disk no good either. In checking the bios the hard drive is not
    >being seen. However and this is the strange part, I can access C: from the
    >win 98 boot menu command prompt only. I tried disconnecting the drive and
    >reconnecting. No luck the bios still can't detect it yet I can here it
    >spinning and see it from the command prompt.
    >The file system seem to be intact. Anyone have any ideas?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Brian

    Tried scan reg no good. Will try the battery!

    Thanks,

    Brian

    "FB" <mixxitdj@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > Can you get to c: prompt?
    >
    > Then type scanreg /restore
    >
    > select a restore point
    >
    > Brian wrote:
    >
    > >I have a Niece who has an older Gateway performance 600 with win 98
    > >installed. All of a sudden it started getting an OE fatal exception
    error
    > >0167 bff92094 and windows will not boot. I tried safe mode same thing
    and a
    > >win 98 boot disk no good either. In checking the bios the hard drive is
    not
    > >being seen. However and this is the strange part, I can access C: from
    the
    > >win 98 boot menu command prompt only. I tried disconnecting the drive
    and
    > >reconnecting. No luck the bios still can't detect it yet I can here it
    > >spinning and see it from the command prompt.
    > >The file system seem to be intact. Anyone have any ideas?
    > >
    > >Thanks,
    > >
    > >Brian

    Download the test utility from the drive manufacturer and do a thorough test
    if you can get the drive to be recognized - it sounds like you have a dying
    hard drive.

    "Brian" <briancloutier@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I have a Niece who has an older Gateway performance 600 with win 98
    > installed. All of a sudden it started getting an OE fatal exception
    error
    > 0167 bff92094 and windows will not boot. I tried safe mode same thing and
    > win 98 boot disk no good either. In checking the bios the hard drive is
    not
    > being seen. However and this is the strange part, I can access C: from
    the
    > win 98 boot menu command prompt only. I tried disconnecting the drive and
    > reconnecting. No luck the bios still can't detect it yet I can here it
    > spinning and see it from the command prompt.
    > The file system seem to be intact. Anyone have any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Brian

Gateway Performance Boot Computers