Strange problem with performance 600

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
August 26, 2004 3:19:11 AM

I have a Niece who has an older Gateway performance 600 with win 98
installed. All of a sudden it started getting an OE fatal exception error
0167 bff92094 and windows will not boot. I tried safe mode same thing and a
win 98 boot disk no good either. In checking the bios the hard drive is not
being seen. However and this is the strange part, I can access C: from the
win 98 boot menu command prompt only. I tried disconnecting the drive and
reconnecting. No luck the bios still can't detect it yet I can here it
spinning and see it from the command prompt.
The file system seem to be intact. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Brian
August 26, 2004 3:19:12 AM

Can you get to c: prompt?

Then type scanreg /restore

select a restore point

Brian wrote:

>I have a Niece who has an older Gateway performance 600 with win 98
>installed. All of a sudden it started getting an OE fatal exception error
>0167 bff92094 and windows will not boot. I tried safe mode same thing and a
>win 98 boot disk no good either. In checking the bios the hard drive is not
>being seen. However and this is the strange part, I can access C: from the
>win 98 boot menu command prompt only. I tried disconnecting the drive and
>reconnecting. No luck the bios still can't detect it yet I can here it
>spinning and see it from the command prompt.
>The file system seem to be intact. Anyone have any ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Brian

Anonymous
August 26, 2004 7:40:32 AM

Replace the C2032 3v lithium battery with a new one. Battery failures cause
strange symptoms. That's my best guess. Batteries are cheap. It's worth a
try as the first attempt to get the system back in the running... Ben Myers

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 23:19:11 -0400, "Brian" <briancloutier@comcast.net> wrote:

>I have a Niece who has an older Gateway performance 600 with win 98
>installed. All of a sudden it started getting an OE fatal exception error
>0167 bff92094 and windows will not boot. I tried safe mode same thing and a
>win 98 boot disk no good either. In checking the bios the hard drive is not
>being seen. However and this is the strange part, I can access C: from the
>win 98 boot menu command prompt only. I tried disconnecting the drive and
>reconnecting. No luck the bios still can't detect it yet I can here it
>spinning and see it from the command prompt.
>The file system seem to be intact. Anyone have any ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Brian

August 27, 2004 12:34:20 AM

Tried scan reg no good. Will try the battery!

Thanks,

Brian

"FB" <mixxitdj@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Can you get to c: prompt?
>
> Then type scanreg /restore
>
> select a restore point
>
> Brian wrote:
>
> >I have a Niece who has an older Gateway performance 600 with win 98
> >installed. All of a sudden it started getting an OE fatal exception
error
> >0167 bff92094 and windows will not boot. I tried safe mode same thing
and a
> >win 98 boot disk no good either. In checking the bios the hard drive is
not
> >being seen. However and this is the strange part, I can access C: from
the
> >win 98 boot menu command prompt only. I tried disconnecting the drive
and
> >reconnecting. No luck the bios still can't detect it yet I can here it
> >spinning and see it from the command prompt.
> >The file system seem to be intact. Anyone have any ideas?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Brian

Anonymous
August 27, 2004 2:28:12 AM

Download the test utility from the drive manufacturer and do a thorough test
if you can get the drive to be recognized - it sounds like you have a dying
hard drive.

!