new phone, new service, old number, possible?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
July 23, 2005 2:34:50 PM

Hi,

My contract with Verizon is up. I wish to purchase a new verizon phone
from Amazon.com (because of the low price), but to avail of all the
rebates, I will have to purchase a new service plan (which means a new
number?). Now I was wondering if it would be possible to purchase a new
phone and service from amazon, transfer my existing number to that new
service plan (and discontinue the current plan?). Has anyone tried
something like this or is there a workaround that I can use? I will
appreciate any help.

thanks.

More about : phone service number

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 10:51:57 PM

"aguy" <abhi_nav@hotmail.nospam.com> wrote in message
news:p stEe.67403$R21.2443@lakeread06...
> Hi,
>
> My contract with Verizon is up. I wish to purchase a new verizon phone
> from Amazon.com (because of the low price), but to avail of all the
> rebates, I will have to purchase a new service plan (which means a new
> number?). Now I was wondering if it would be possible to purchase a new
> phone and service from amazon, transfer my existing number to that new
> service plan (and discontinue the current plan?). Has anyone tried
> something like this or is there a workaround that I can use? I will
> appreciate any help.
>
> thanks.

You can activate a new phone (i.e., transfer your existing phone number) on
the Verizon Wireless website-- though if you haven't set up an account for
yourself there, you'll need to do that first. Also, after you activate,
you'll need to do an over the air programming of your phone. Do *228, send,
option 1. Reboot your phone when it's done.
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 3:25:03 AM

Expert Witness wrote:
> "aguy" <abhi_nav@hotmail.nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:p stEe.67403$R21.2443@lakeread06...
>> Hi,
>>
>> My contract with Verizon is up. I wish to purchase a new
>> verizon phone from Amazon.com (because of the low
>> price), but to avail of all the rebates, I will have to
>> purchase a new service plan (which means a new number?).
>> Now I was wondering if it would be possible to purchase
>> a new phone and service from amazon, transfer my
>> existing number to that new service plan (and
>> discontinue the current plan?). Has anyone tried
>> something like this or is there a workaround that I can
>> use? I will appreciate any help.
>>
>> thanks.
>
> You can activate a new phone (i.e., transfer your
> existing phone number) on the Verizon Wireless website--
> though if you haven't set up an account for yourself
> there, you'll need to do that first. Also, after you
> activate, you'll need to do an over the air programming
> of your phone. Do *228, send, option 1. Reboot your phone
> when it's done.

That wasn't the question. The Amazon deal is with *new*
service. He already has service, wants the deal, and wants
to keep his current number.

-Quick
Related resources
July 24, 2005 2:13:47 PM

Also, from what I found out, is that, if you get the phone from Amazon or any other online seller, if something goes
wrong with the phone, you cannot bring it into a Verizon store and get it taken care of, you will have to deal with the
original seller. I was going the same route, but will probably go through Verizon and pay the up-front $99 to have peace
of mind in case something is bad with the phone.

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 23:25:03 GMT, "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>Expert Witness wrote:
>> "aguy" <abhi_nav@hotmail.nospam.com> wrote in message
>> news:p stEe.67403$R21.2443@lakeread06...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> My contract with Verizon is up. I wish to purchase a new
>>> verizon phone from Amazon.com (because of the low
>>> price), but to avail of all the rebates, I will have to
>>> purchase a new service plan (which means a new number?).
>>> Now I was wondering if it would be possible to purchase
>>> a new phone and service from amazon, transfer my
>>> existing number to that new service plan (and
>>> discontinue the current plan?). Has anyone tried
>>> something like this or is there a workaround that I can
>>> use? I will appreciate any help.
>>>
>>> thanks.
>>
>> You can activate a new phone (i.e., transfer your
>> existing phone number) on the Verizon Wireless website--
>> though if you haven't set up an account for yourself
>> there, you'll need to do that first. Also, after you
>> activate, you'll need to do an over the air programming
>> of your phone. Do *228, send, option 1. Reboot your phone
>> when it's done.
>
>That wasn't the question. The Amazon deal is with *new*
>service. He already has service, wants the deal, and wants
>to keep his current number.
>
>-Quick

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 7:23:07 PM

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 10:13:47 -0500, HowdyDoody wrote:

> Also, from what I found out, is that, if you get the phone from Amazon or any other online seller, if something goes
> wrong with the phone, you cannot bring it into a Verizon store and get it taken care of, you will have to deal with the
> original seller. I was going the same route, but will probably go through Verizon and pay the up-front $99 to have peace
> of mind in case something is bad with the phone.

It depends on what you tell the CD rep. I returned my RS phone to VZW and
they replaced it no questions asked.
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 6:31:59 PM

OOops. I think the answer is No. What is described below is an esn change.
But you have a new line of service, and want to PORT your existing VZW
number to your NEW VZW account, letting the old line terminate/expire. This
will most likely take help from CS, and I don't think the automated web will
help you at all. I have found it impossible to port within VZW. The Law
requires you to be able to port from carrier to another. So, that doesn't
apply. Let us know what works. dr
--
dr.news Better Price? (not better than you deserve, just more than you are
used to)

!