mygarbage2000

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002

I have an old box - k6/2-500 OCd to 600 on FIC VA-503+ board, running
win2k that I used as a test box. When "testing" eMule, the box got
infected with something despite the latest OS patches and virus defs
(Symantec AV corporate), so badly that it would bluescreen every time
a cleanup was attempted. Tried to install a fresh XP from CD boot -
would freeze in the middle of copying files. Same to 2k. 98
installed without a glitch though. Tried to install 2k from under 98
- setup would copy files, reboot, and then complain about corrupt
files, different ones every time. Tried to copy the whole i386 to HD
- would bluescreen in the middle of copying. Thought it's because of
OC - any jumper combination except the OC results in continuous beeps
and no post. Flashed the latest BIOS - to no avail. The only part
that feels hot to touch is the north bridge, and even that is not too
hot to burn the skin. The RAM - generic PC133 - works fine in other
box. Tried different harddisks (from 6 to 20 GB) - same result.

Question: what is fried?

You may want to try your fixing/de-spyware'ing/de-virus'ing by using a
boot CD such as bart pe.

Then you remove all the malware as possible sources of bluescreen.

~Jason

--

mygarbage2000

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 17:44:00 -0400, Jason Gurtz <ask@NOmeSPAM.where>
wrote:

>You may want to try your fixing/de-spyware'ing/de-virus'ing by using a
>boot CD such as bart pe.
>
>Then you remove all the malware as possible sources of bluescreen.
>
>~Jason

I guess fdisk with following format removed any and all malware. Yet
it continues to bluescreen at every attempt to install any NT flavor -
tried all from NT4 to XP
:-(

Thanks anyway
NNN

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005, nobody@nowhere.net typed this :
>On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 17:44:00 -0400, Jason Gurtz <ask@NOmeSPAM.where>
>wrote:
>
>>You may want to try your fixing/de-spyware'ing/de-virus'ing by using a
>>boot CD such as bart pe.
>>
>>Then you remove all the malware as possible sources of bluescreen.

(k6/2-500 OCd to 600 on FIC VA-503+ board)
>I guess fdisk with following format removed any and all malware. Yet
>it continues to bluescreen at every attempt to install any NT flavor -
>tried all from NT4 to XP
>:-(

Shot in the dark -
The BIOS setting, PNP OS, should be set to "no".
Also, I would quadruple-check those jumpers. They read right to left and
it's caught me out more than once when I had a 503+.
--
Roger Hunt

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 03:20:08 GMT, "nobody@nowhere.net"
<mygarbage2000@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 17:44:00 -0400, Jason Gurtz <ask@NOmeSPAM.where>
>wrote:
>
>>You may want to try your fixing/de-spyware'ing/de-virus'ing by using a
>>boot CD such as bart pe.
>>
>>Then you remove all the malware as possible sources of bluescreen.
>>
>>~Jason
>
>I guess fdisk with following format removed any and all malware. Yet
>it continues to bluescreen at every attempt to install any NT flavor -
>tried all from NT4 to XP

Well chances are slim I guess but it's always possible that a boot
sector(s) virus could be lurking. The only way to really "clean" a disk is
with the mfr's diags, using the "write all zeros".

--
Rgds, George Macdonald

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 23:40:56 GMT, "nobody@nowhere.net"
<mygarbage2000@hotmail.com> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>I have an old box - k6/2-500 OCd to 600 on FIC VA-503+ board, running
>win2k that I used as a test box.

<snip>

> - any jumper combination except the OC results in continuous beeps
>and no post.

What combination are you running at present? Core voltage? FSB? DIMM
frequency? Multiplier(s)?

I'd try a conservative combination and work upwards from there, eg FSB
= 66MHz, multiplier = 6, Vcore = 2.2V, DIMM freq = PC-66.

If and when you do finally get it running, use CpuIdle or a similar
app to keep the CPU temperature down, and to take the load off the VR.

- Franc Zabkar