Confusion With Hardware

Hi I've just recently arrived home from a trip where I took some video
capture.
I'm not sure if it's a hardware problem, but I've posted on a Video
Site as well detailing the problem I'm having which I've enclosed
below..
Please excuse the repeat post...but I don't want to type it out
again..

I have read a number of post's here, however I am beginging to have my
doubts. When I purhased the Panasonic PV-GS120 I was assured by the
salesman that I could download via USB. I have just returned from a
trip overseas and am rather eager to play with the footage...but
alas....all I seem to be able to do is download the still frame from
the memory card. I have installed the driver included in the software
and also put DV Studio on the computer. There was no other software,
however I have previously used Ulead and Adobe for making video
animations.

I am using an Acer Exensa2300 but it does not have Firewire installed.
So my question is....is there anyway to download via USB.

If I have to purchase Firewire...I gather that it will come on a PCI
card..
Is this a card that I can just slot in...or does the machine need to be
upgraded at a service center. Also if my USB's are version 1...will I
even be able to utilize the functions that a USB 2 might supply ??

Is there away to avoid this (service center)...as my computer has quite
a lot of sensitve data on it...and I really prefer not to leave it with
technicians.

PS Currently when I try to capture I am being informed that Video
Capture is unable to access the capture device.

Also...What format is the video saved to on the Video Cam and is it
necessary to work in AVI format, or can I retain the format it is saved
to on the tapes..

Other than that thank you for any advice you can supply.

--
Iceexplosive

pankaj

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2004

Iceexplosive wrote:

> I have read a number of post's here, however I am beginging to have my
> doubts. When I purhased the Panasonic PV-GS120 I was assured by the
> salesman that I could download via USB. I have just returned from a
> trip overseas and am rather eager to play with the footage...but
> alas....all I seem to be able to do is download the still frame from
> the memory card. I have installed the driver included in the software
> and also put DV Studio on the computer. There was no other software,
> however I have previously used Ulead and Adobe for making video
> animations.

I am not sure about Panasonic, but Sony (a little older model) can only
transfer video from the firewire card only, and stills from USB. If
your panasonic has USB 1.1 port, you dont want to transfer through
USB, as one hour of video is about 12GB (AVI).

> I am using an Acer Exensa2300 but it does not have Firewire installed.
> So my question is....is there anyway to download via USB.

I am not very sure, but I think not.

> If I have to purchase Firewire...I gather that it will come on a PCI
> card..
> Is this a card that I can just slot in...or does the machine need to be
> upgraded at a service center. Also if my USB's are version 1...will I
> even be able to utilize the functions that a USB 2 might supply ??

It is a PCI card. I paid $20 about two years ago from Newegg, and it
came with cable and Ulead. Just pop it in an empty PCI slot, load the
drivers and start using it.

> Is there away to avoid this (service center)...as my computer has quite
> a lot of sensitve data on it...and I really prefer not to leave it with
> technicians.

If you are comfortable opening the case, you dont need to take it to
service center.

> Also...What format is the video saved to on the Video Cam and is it
> necessary to work in AVI format, or can I retain the format it is saved
> to on the tapes..

I dont know what format it is saved on Video Cam, but once it is
captured to the PC, it usually is in AVI format. I recently purcahsed
Nero, and it seems to be able to capture it in MPEG-2 directly to DVD.
I havent tried it though.

> Other than that thank you for any advice you can supply.

I hope it was helpful.

Regards,

Pankaj

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:09:34 +0100, Iceexplosive
<Iceexplosive.1umx7n@news.computerbanter.com> wrote:

>Hi I've just recently arrived home from a trip where I took some video
>capture.
>I'm not sure if it's a hardware problem, but I've posted on a Video
>Site as well detailing the problem I'm having which I've enclosed
>below..
>Please excuse the repeat post...but I don't want to type it out
>again..
>

>I have read a number of post's here, however I am beginging to have my
>doubts. When I purhased the Panasonic PV-GS120 I was assured by the
>salesman that I could download via USB. I have just returned from a
>trip overseas and am rather eager to play with the footage...but
>alas....all I seem to be able to do is download the still frame from
>the memory card. I have installed the driver included in the software
>and also put DV Studio on the computer. There was no other software,
>however I have previously used Ulead and Adobe for making video
>animations.

I dunno about your PV-GS210, or its bundled software, but it's my
understanding that some camcorders come with software which works through a
USB port but that most/all(?) 3rd party software works only off a Firewire
port.

>I am using an Acer Exensa2300 but it does not have Firewire installed.
>So my question is....is there anyway to download via USB.
>
>If I have to purchase Firewire...I gather that it will come on a PCI
>card..
>Is this a card that I can just slot in...or does the machine need to be
>upgraded at a service center.

If you don't have a problem going inside the case, you can easly install a
PCI card yourself. Follow installation directions carefully though: if
they say to install drivers/software before putting the card in do it...
otherwise you could get a whole mess of standard OS drivers installed which
can't be removed easily.

> Also if my USB's are version 1...will I
>even be able to utilize the functions that a USB 2 might supply ??

If your USB is V1(.1), it's not worth the bother even trying - even if it
worked, the speed difference is such that it'd be excruciatingly slow.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald