Getting files from old computer to new computer??

buzznapper

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
I'm getting ready to put together a new computer and am dreading the reinstall of everything! I'm currently using a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex drive as a backup using its own Memeo software. It supposedly backs up pretty much everything, but it doesn't look like I can use it to "restore" my new computer with the saved data (like iTunes library, and mail settings and mailboxes). Or is everything in the backup useless when I set up new computer???

What is the best method for moving data from old computer? I'm using the video card from old computer, so I can't copy files from computer to computer directly. I know I would have to install software, and I have most of my installers on one or two CDs, but I had a heck of a time with iTunes when my old computer's hdd failed and I had to reinstall everything and copy files FROM the iPod back to computer....it was bad, very, very bad.

1. Get one of these ($23):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153071

2. Take your new puter and install the OS onto say a 128 GB partition depending on next step.

3. Create 0, 1, 2, 3 whatever extra partitions for "programs", "games", "data", backups, or whatever you like.

4. Plug your old HD into the BlacX

5. Copy program folders from old HD to new HD organized as you see fit either in separate folders, separate partitions or whatever works for you.

6. Reinstall programs and games over themselves at their new location. This will keep all your custom files, saved settings, saved games etc.

7. Data need just be copied over.

Firstly, does you new computer have the capability to work with an older version of Windows? You could be lucky and get away with using Acronis True Image to make a clone of your system and put it into the new system but you'll have to quick with your new motherboard installation CD when you start up for the first time. Also, Windows will need to be activated so don't use the old system online once the new one has bene on or you risk having the system declared non-genuine.

Appmen

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
You may use WET (windows easy transfer) and PickMeApp: two free solutions to migrate from XP to Windows 7. WET may transfer your XP program settings to Win 7 while portable PickMeApp tool may transfer programs from XP to Windows 7. PickMeApp claims to support unlimited number of programs.