nvidia cards

We have a select 1300 with 32 MB Nvidia TNT2 card that just died (the
card that is). I seem to recall some bantering on this newsgroup about
this being a common problem amongst these cards during a certain run?
How far into the nvidia line does this effect (gforce1, 2 etc)? Just
curious as I replaced the dead one with a spare Geforce2 I had.
--
A & L

Support your local PJ

nVidia graphics chips have a deserved reputation for running hot. nVidia sells
the chips (along with a reference hardware design) to various board
manufacturers. Some manufacturers build boards with inadequate cooling for the
nVidia chip, either no fan with a lousy heat sink or the cheapest of fans that
burns out after a while. Sometimes, computer owners allow dust and dirt to
build up inside the computer case, and the nVidia board gets inadequate cooling.
The chip overheats, and either the card just plain dies or it begins to display
weird artifacts on screen... Ben Myers

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 16:27:32 -0700, An & Larry <tpsdoc@pol.net> wrote:

>We have a select 1300 with 32 MB Nvidia TNT2 card that just died (the
>card that is). I seem to recall some bantering on this newsgroup about
>this being a common problem amongst these cards during a certain run?
>How far into the nvidia line does this effect (gforce1, 2 etc)? Just
>curious as I replaced the dead one with a spare Geforce2 I had.
>--
>A & L
>
>Support your local PJ

smith

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2003

Never had any trouble with my "eVGA" FX5900 that I replaced my 32mb Geforce2
with out of my P4 1400 model. A good manufacturer in my experience with two
of the cards, one in a Dell and one in a Gateway.