amd vs intel better or worse

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 07:32:59 GMT,
xboxluvr1991@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (_2k5) wrote:

>i have a pentium 4 3 ghz ht and am looking to upgrade to a AMD Athlon
>64 3400+
>
>will it offer better proformance for gaming or no

I doubt you'll notice much difference; if your P4 system has dual channel
memory you may even notice a slight decrease in performance of bandwidth
sensitive apps. That is defiinitely the wrong Athlon64 to buy IMO: it has
a 800MHz Hypertransport and is socket 754... both obsolescent compared with
later chips for a few $$ more. I have to wonder if you have a socket 754
mbrd just laying around for that 3000+, when for $14. more you can get
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103533 - a s939
3500+ Venice core with 1GHz HT.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald

_2k5 wrote:
> i have a pentium 4 3 ghz ht and am looking to upgrade
> to a AMD Athlon 64 3400+
>
> will it offer better proformance for gaming or no

Is your P4 Northwood or Prescott?
Do you plan to buy an nForce4-based motherboard?
Do you plan to buy a PCI-E video card or use your current AGP card?

Anyway, the Athlon will probably outperform the P4 in gaming.
http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2249&p=9

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 07:32:59 GMT,
xboxluvr1991@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (_2k5) wrote:

>i have a pentium 4 3 ghz ht and am looking to upgrade to a AMD Athlon
>64 3400+
>
>will it offer better proformance for gaming or no
>
>i am getting it from newegg
>
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103484

It should be better but only by the a rather negligible margin. Most
games will probably only see a 5-10% increase with the odd one maybe
seeing up to a 15% increase (and conversely a equal number of games
will see no increase at all). Really not a worthwhile upgrade unless
you've got money to burn, and even than you will almost certainly be a
lot better off with a new video card rather than a new processor.

Also, that chip you're looking at is a kind of obsolete model. It
uses the old Socket 754 which is being phased out by AMD. Unless you
already have a Socket 754 motherboard just sitting around gathering
dust than it makes absolutely no sense at all to buy a new one!

-------------
Tony Hill

Tony Hill wrote:
> Also, that chip you're looking at is a kind of obsolete model. It
> uses the old Socket 754 which is being phased out by AMD. Unless you
> already have a Socket 754 motherboard just sitting around gathering
> dust than it makes absolutely no sense at all to buy a new one!

I'm not sure I agree.

I plan to buy a value system in a few days.

I'm torn between:

Asus K8N4-E (nForce4 4X) S754
Sempron 2800+ (Palermo, 90nm, 64-bit, SSE3, 1.6 GHz, 256KB L2)
79 EUR + 68 EUR = 147

vs

Asus A8N-E (nForce4 Ultra) S939
Athlon64 3000+ (Venice, 90nm, 64-bit, SSE3, 1.8 GHz, 512KB L2)
92 EUR + 139 EUR = 231

The first system is approx. only 15-20% slower than the second. But it's
84 EUR cheaper, which is important since my budget is ~450 EUR so I can
buy a better graphics card. (I have my sight on a GeForce 6600GT.)

Socket A is still around (!) so I hope S754 will be around for another
2-3 years. I imagine dual core is out of the question for S754?

Grumble

Ed

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:42:02 +0200, Grumble <devnull@kma.eu.org> wrote:

>Socket A is still around (!) so I hope S754 will be around for another
>2-3 years. I imagine dual core is out of the question for S754?
>
>Grumble

A S939 board may be better if you plan to upgrade the CPU later on down
the road.

S754 may be around for 2 years but I doubt we'll see many more if any
CPU upgrades or dual cores for it.

Socket-A may still be around but the fastest CPU for the platform, a
Barton XP 3200+, was released back on May 13th 2003. AMD doesn't make
socket-A chips anymore.

Ed

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:42:02 +0200, Grumble <devnull@kma.eu.org> wrote:

>Tony Hill wrote:
>> Also, that chip you're looking at is a kind of obsolete model. It
>> uses the old Socket 754 which is being phased out by AMD. Unless you
>> already have a Socket 754 motherboard just sitting around gathering
>> dust than it makes absolutely no sense at all to buy a new one!
>
>I'm not sure I agree.
>
>I plan to buy a value system in a few days.
>
>I'm torn between:
>
>Asus K8N4-E (nForce4 4X) S754
>Sempron 2800+ (Palermo, 90nm, 64-bit, SSE3, 1.6 GHz, 256KB L2)
>79 EUR + 68 EUR = 147
>
>vs
>
>Asus A8N-E (nForce4 Ultra) S939
>Athlon64 3000+ (Venice, 90nm, 64-bit, SSE3, 1.8 GHz, 512KB L2)
>92 EUR + 139 EUR = 231
>
>The first system is approx. only 15-20% slower than the second. But it's
>84 EUR cheaper, which is important since my budget is ~450 EUR so I can
>buy a better graphics card. (I have my sight on a GeForce 6600GT.)
>
>Socket A is still around (!) so I hope S754 will be around for another
>2-3 years. I imagine dual core is out of the question for S754?

The OP is apparently looking further up market than you though... for an
Athlon64. The s754 makes no sense here and in fact the $14. difference I
mentioned previously between a 3000+ Newcastle s754 800MHz HT and a 3500+
Venice s939 1GHz HT has disappeared. The two CPUs are the same price
($219.) today... indicating that the price of the 3000+ includes some
shortage factor, possibly due to obsolescence already.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald

mygarbage2000

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002

wrote:

>Tony Hill wrote:
>> Also, that chip you're looking at is a kind of obsolete model. It
>> uses the old Socket 754 which is being phased out by AMD. Unless you
>> already have a Socket 754 motherboard just sitting around gathering
>> dust than it makes absolutely no sense at all to buy a new one!
>
>I'm not sure I agree.
>
>I plan to buy a value system in a few days.
>
>I'm torn between:
>
>Asus K8N4-E (nForce4 4X) S754
>Sempron 2800+ (Palermo, 90nm, 64-bit, SSE3, 1.6 GHz, 256KB L2)
>79 EUR + 68 EUR = 147
>
>vs
>
>Asus A8N-E (nForce4 Ultra) S939
>Athlon64 3000+ (Venice, 90nm, 64-bit, SSE3, 1.8 GHz, 512KB L2)
>92 EUR + 139 EUR = 231
>
>The first system is approx. only 15-20% slower than the second. But it's
>84 EUR cheaper, which is important since my budget is ~450 EUR so I can
>buy a better graphics card. (I have my sight on a GeForce 6600GT.)
>
>Socket A is still around (!) so I hope S754 will be around for another
>2-3 years. I imagine dual core is out of the question for S754?
>
>Grumble

754 still has some life in mobile systems. I even remember reading
somewhere that eventually there may be such an animal as dual core
Turion (or A64 Mobile) released, if only to counter Intel's release of
dual core Pentium M. It may or may not work in any given desktop
board, and definitely mobile part will have a price premium over
same-performance desktop part, so don't hold your breath over it.
And, besides, both 754 and 939 will be retired when AMD goes DDR2.
754 may even stay longer because most likely the changeover will start
from desktop and only later move into mobile.

NNN