Sign in with
Your question

Compaq #1

Last response: in Opinions and Experiences
March 9, 2001 2:22:59 AM

To all ya'll hatas out there! Don't sing just bring it!!!!

<b><font color=blue>Perception is Reality!!!</b></font color=blue>

More about : compaq

March 9, 2001 5:55:14 PM

Do work for compaq or something or are you just defneding the fact that you spent $3000 on a POS computer you could have built for $1000.
mbaha

"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
March 9, 2001 5:59:28 PM

Here is a hallenge for you, find a compaq that has better specs than this for less $$$$ and it can't be some ugly ass color only white boxes. (I hate ugly mac knock off cases)

AMD ATHLON 200MHZ SYSTEMS
ENLIGHT EN-7237/3 W/300WCase Specs
1.44MB FDD
(ASUS A7V133-Specs; AMD T-BIRD 1000(OEM); 32X64 256MB PC133) $491.00
HP SURESTORE 9340I 32X-READ/10X-RECORD/4X-REWRITE EIDE INT REWRITABLE W/SW Detail Specs $139.00
IBM 30.0GB ULTRA-ATA/100 DTLA307030/PN#07N3929 7200RPM 8.5MS 2MB BUFFER $132.00
LEADTEK GEFORCE2 DUAL PRO MX 32MB 4XAGP POWERED BY NVIDIA SDRAM W/TV OUT $125.00
CREATIVE LABS SOUNDBLASTER LIVE! VALUE PCI 256VOICE ENVIRONMENTAL AUDIO $47.90
LOGITECH CORDLESS FREEDOM NAVIGATOR RF W/ITOUCH INTERNET USB/PS2 $74.00
ALTEC LANSING ACS54 POWERPLAY PLUS 5PCS SPEAKER SYSTEM FOR GAMERS $55.00
SMARTLINK 10BT/100BTX 1205RC PCI 1-PK (Realtek chipset) *Microsoft/Novell Certified $9.90
Sub Total $1,073.80
S&H (Ground) APPROXIMATELY 3-4 Business days for delivery $52.23
Grand Total $1,126.03
plus a 17” F77 monitor @ $170
and a FOP 32 @ $25
total system price = $1321.03

"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Related resources
March 10, 2001 12:48:39 AM

Hey I can't argue with that price! I agree building your own is the way to go but I do like the new Compaqs!

Anonymous
March 10, 2001 4:17:43 PM

Do you like I-macs too?
March 11, 2001 12:39:12 AM

LOL.

- I don't write Tom's Hardware Guide, I just preach it"
March 11, 2001 9:45:47 PM

compaq is currently winning the crapest computer poll
mbaha

“Build your own you will love it more”
March 12, 2001 12:08:20 AM

Well every compaq i have seen for sale is basically sell you a really fast cpu, big hard drive, latest striped down versions of software and craptastic video and sound cards. Your basically paying for a chip, hard drive, and software. and getting a castrated box because of the cheap a$$ cards they put in them. And to be a true Imac knock off they need to have a handle on top so that I can throw them in the dumpster easier!

A mime is a great thing to waste! :lol: 
March 12, 2001 12:37:21 PM

Don't really know anything about it? How about the IPaqs

March 12, 2001 12:39:18 PM

Kal, I disagree with you. Compaq like most manufacturers sell different types of computers. High end, low end, pre-built, and config to order (this is where you pick the components).

Anonymous
March 26, 2001 1:00:51 AM

ZaNtHeR = Compaq employee 8)

Never be afraid to try new things. Remember, amateurs built the Ark - professional built the Titanic
March 29, 2001 9:00:31 PM

Maybe, maybe not...

March 29, 2001 9:21:17 PM

If you like Compaq you are high. Sorry but Compaq is one of the worst manufacturers of all time. They blow.

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s
April 14, 2001 4:01:50 AM

your opinion... but they are also one of the biggest....and didn't get that way by selling crap...

April 15, 2001 9:09:14 PM

yes they did. they got their selling crap to stupid people who know jack about computers. it's my opinion along with the opinions of a zillion other people that are all the same.

--------
Time is never time at all. You can never ever leave, without leaving a piece of you.
April 17, 2001 12:29:31 AM

Well I guess Compuke er... Compaq is better than Packard Bell. :) 

=
<font color=green>1Ghz on 56K access? I like my 400Mhz with cable access. ;) </font color=green>
July 17, 2001 8:01:32 AM

The marketing dep made Scrappaq one of the biggest.
Not their products.
A pretty box full of [-peep-].
July 23, 2001 9:22:17 PM

That is their job....

Anonymous
August 9, 2001 3:55:30 AM

Yup, Compaq's Marketing is like putting perfume on a pig. After a while the stink will come back to haunt ya!

Compaq<font color=red>(n)</font color=red><font color=purple>Com/pac:</font color=purple> A lemon in a flash case
Anonymous
August 9, 2001 2:02:09 PM

HeHe :) )))))

Comprack Deskjunk :p 

They say they develop MC Laren F1 cars with it. That's why they have lots of problems with their cars this year hehe ;) 

------------------
Signatures suck :p 
Anonymous
August 9, 2001 3:20:54 PM

I have to agree, compaq's are awful... I know firsthand. My experiences with the compaq are the main reasons why I built my own computer:

AMD 1200Mhz 266FSB
ASUS A7M266
256mb DDR SDRAM
IMT4000 Case
IBM 60GXP Desktar 40 gig
Geforce2 MX400 64mb
Soud Blaster Live! Platinum (Although my Live!Drive DID catch on fire)
Altec Lansing ATP5 Thin Profile Speakers, 4 satellites, 1 sub
Creative Labs 52x CD-ROM drive (my CD-RW is stuck in the Compaq, and family has taken it over)
Viewsonic 17 incher
Windows 2000 Professional
yadda yadda yadda

1200 bucks....At least I think it's a good deal...All I know is it's better than the 2500 we spent on the compaq, with an onboard sound card you can't turn off, 2 PCI slots, and tons of packaged buggy software that won't leave me alone....
August 15, 2001 9:41:41 PM

Yeah kind of like your mouth... it is full of it...

August 15, 2001 10:02:04 PM

It took you a week to think that one up?

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>
August 16, 2001 5:43:16 PM

No Fat Boy unlike you I have a life... I do other things outside of being on a computer... You know, actually interact with individuals face to face... Not like you telling women on the iternet you are king stud when you are really King Dud...Probably never touched a woman.... and no your blow up doll doesn't count...neither does your mom...

August 16, 2001 6:09:38 PM

ROFLMAO
Don't even get started with me, Compaq boy. The only time I spend on here is at work, where I get paid to do this, just like you. There are just two differences

1. I do other stuff at work besides wander around forums, and they don't know they're paying me for this.

2. I'm more liked that you, although that's not hard.

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>
Anonymous
August 17, 2001 9:53:33 AM

I can't believe that we have three threads going on this subject. Shall we start another? That way we can say the same thing 4 times. Hmm let me muse a little bit. 6 months ago I decided it was time to get a new computer. Followed all of the major companies to see what I wanted. Thank god my brother told me to check out thg for tech news on whats hot and whats not. I decided it was certainly better to build my own(will make some final decisions after nforce is released). I happened to look at a flyer with some compaqs in it today. Now that I know what to look for (thanx to the help of people like Fatburger, crashman, etal (so stop bad mouthing the folks who actually help people around here)) I see line
1) Hmm nice processor
2) ok memory
3-> who the hell would pay that much money for all that crap?

Not saying that other companies are a whole lot better. But Compaq seems to thrive on selling fluff. Great marketing team? You bet. But it all catches up in the end. Look at intel, they are a market leader. At one point they had the best product (might still have depending on your point of view and needs). Now they have a major competitor in AMD that keeps moving forward on quality and inovation. If AMD could match intels marketing dollars and if intel wouldn't bully the market, intel would be eating some serious dust.

Oh well. Enough mindless babble. Time to take a dump and wipe my ass with a compaq brochure. It's the only thing they will send me that I can afford and have a use for.

This parachute is guaranteed for the life of the user...
Anonymous
September 1, 2001 1:38:33 PM

FATBOY!!!! LOL
Ha ha - ooo you make me chuckle.
<wipes tear>

Zanth may I call you Zanth. get a life.

If it ain't broke don't fix it
Hardware Central Rules
<A HREF="mailto: techie2000@supanet.com "> techie2000@supanet.com </A>
September 11, 2001 5:44:21 AM

LOL
it must really cut to the bone bieng called fatboy by a little zealot (compac this time, not intel/amd/nvidia/ati)

Need MUCH more chlorine in the gene pool i believe.
September 11, 2001 8:51:17 PM

Quote:
Now that I know what to look for (thanx to the help of people like Fatburger, crashman, etal (so stop bad mouthing the folks who actually help people around here))

First time I've seen that. Maybe I should bookmark this thread for future use :) 

<font color=green>In memory of those who died, simply because they lived in America.
Rest in peace.</font color=green>
September 19, 2001 12:25:04 AM

so if they r the biggest, then why r they getting bought out by HP?

Never Trust Intel to do AMD's job!
September 20, 2001 10:19:19 AM

They´re the biggest alright!

The biggest piece of crap!!

<b>I ate so much Cookies , i think i´m gonna puke!</b> <font color=red>CHANGE THAT DAMN SIG OF THE WEEK!</font color=red>
Anonymous
September 20, 2001 12:42:44 PM

compaq = crap
hp = crap

make sense now?

<font color=blue> GOURANGA </font color=blue>
<font color=red> Techie2001 </font color=red>
Anonymous
October 3, 2001 11:02:31 AM

mm ok - exception

upit vp,[iyrt od pm;u sd d,sty sd oyd idrt
<A HREF="mailto:techie2001@supanet.com">techie2001@supanet.com</A>
October 3, 2001 10:32:40 PM

Although their monitors (some) kick ass, I must agree that the computers they offer do suck.

U got a problem?! Then dial 1800-328-7448!
December 15, 2001 4:42:39 AM

They never give you the full disks. Building your own is the only way to go!

Life is too short, don't mess it up!!
Anonymous
December 17, 2001 10:37:54 AM

Basically they suck - But they are black so they look stylish.

<font color=purple><b>Techie2001</font color=purple></b>
<i>(Forum Techie)</i>
If it aint broke,Dont fix it. :wink:
December 26, 2001 1:04:08 PM

OK. Sorry to resurrect this post but I've got to say this.

The place I work at uses a fair few Compaq machines (well, ALL of them, and before that we were a Digital site) and before I worked here I really hated Compaq's. But the only experience I had had with then was with Presario's, which are crap. Here, we exclusively use the Deskpro EN's, we buy them in enough quantity that the price of them isn't too bad, and their reliability is OK. Their servers are actually quite good. And their service is great, provided you pay for it. That's probably why we go for them, they're dependable, not cheap.

Still wouldn't buy one for myself though. Pay way too much for a mediocre machine, which I'd probably end up fixing myself anyway.

BTW Zanther, What did you expect by writing this post? Of course you're going to get fried! Accept it, expect it, and please don't start flaming people because of it. That's just rude.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Novakain on 12/26/01 10:12 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
December 26, 2001 1:38:43 PM

Ok, this is pissing me off...purchased an LCD, and it was supposed to be at my house by 19th of December. Well, it's been delayed till fvcking January 14 at earliest!!!

What if your life moved.....2 inches to the left?
Anonymous
December 26, 2001 2:19:19 PM

Quote:
To all ya'll hatas out there! Don't sing just bring it!!!!

All together now.

We wish you a shitty christmas
We wish you a shitty christmas
We wish you a shitty christmas and a crappy new year.

Dead compaqs we bring, bad tidings we sing.
We wish you a shitty christmas and a crappy PC

<font color=purple><b>Techie2001</font color=purple></b>
<i>(Crazy Alien)</i>
If it ain't broke, Don't fix it. :wink:
December 26, 2001 3:30:11 PM

Too bad...
I've got my 'junk' LCD right in front of me and didn't have to pay shipping either.

Santa must be a trucker.

Dorr, MI
December 26, 2001 11:10:31 PM

NM, after screaming to them for about 10 mins, I'll have my LCD any day now. hehe. I got free shipping, and it's 17" top of teh line, at only $645.

What if your life moved.....2 inches to the left?
January 2, 2002 5:28:50 PM

I don't really like LCD's. The only advantage is it saves real estate.

<b>If you make a sytem that even an idiot can use, only an idiot will use it!!</b>
January 2, 2002 8:52:36 PM

It saves real estate and it doesn't emit radiation.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.
January 2, 2002 9:43:22 PM

Umm... Radiation is good for you.. It helps you to grow... maybe grow weird things.. but it helps you to grow.

<b>If you make a sytem that even an idiot can use, only an idiot will use it!!</b>
January 2, 2002 10:53:16 PM

Lol. Well, my 6th finger is good for typing:) , but aside from saving space, LCD's are better for the eyes. Plus, they look cool. What do u have against then anyway?

My rice car will leave your R8500 in the dust!
January 3, 2002 1:42:48 PM

The image isn't as sharp.

January 4, 2002 1:11:15 AM

Yeah, LCD's images aren't as sharp as CRT's...LCD is SHARPER! This is b/c every pixel is controlled separatly. Read something on a good LCD, u'll see it's much sharper.

My rice car will leave your R8500 in the dust!
January 4, 2002 12:45:12 PM

Maybe Sharper wasn't they way I wanted to describe it. I really don't like the way they look. I would much rather have a CRT. But hey, to each his own.

!