[SOLVED] Can't download needed files while installing lion....

Status
Not open for further replies.

circumventor

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Please read carefully:

I bought my Macbook Pro back in August 2011 and it came with Lion installed. Just last week my install decided to take a giant dump and died on me. Im sure the hard drive still works because im still able to mount stuff onto it.

So booted into "Recovery HD" and wiped the "Macintosh HD" Partition. I didn't care what was on it because everything I needed can be downloaded again. I went to install OSX Lion from the OSX utilities within the Recovery HD drive and it game me an error:

"Couldn't Download Needed files to install Lion"

Kinda annoying so I made a Lion restore disk from "InstallESD.dmg" that I found on a torrent site. Booted onto that one and everything worked like a charm that is, until I went to install again. Instead of downloading all the Lion files from the internet, "InstallESD.dmg" contains all the files needed for Lion. For some reason th e installer is looking to download them still and doesn't complete the process.

I've called Apple Support twice now and they where very helpful. I ended up getting a free Lion USB drive that is coming in the mail sometime next week.

I am wondering if anyone knows how to fix that pesky "Can't download needed files" error when installing Lion.

Solution
I don't know the reason for your problem, but I don't really like this idea of reinstalling from the Internet. It's far easier to buy a cheap external drive and set it up for Time Macine. Then you can restore in much less time and you don't need to be online to do so.
I don't know the reason for your problem, but I don't really like this idea of reinstalling from the Internet. It's far easier to buy a cheap external drive and set it up for Time Macine. Then you can restore in much less time and you don't need to be online to do so.

Solution

circumventor

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Ah yes well I downloaded installESD.dmg which is from the Lion installer from the Mac app store and I still get the same issue. I restored it to a flash drive and booted it with the same error when installing. The Installer log says something about not being able to verify Essentials.pkg.

After searching around I can say that many other people are having issues with verification during the Lion install.

Another thing is that "internet recovery" crap. I tried that and it gave the error code -6002F and told me to contact customer support. When I called they said they had never heard of, or have any record of that error. Silly Apple. Thanks for my $1,500 laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.