Sun gets a special overclocked dual-core Opteron

Looks like AMD is producing a special Opteron for Sun's Galaxy launch.

Quote:
Bechtolsheim: We worked with AMD to bring a higher performance
version of the dual-core chip to market. So, this is actually a
higher-power version, a 120-watt chip that they especially made for us.
I guess they announced that they are going to also sell it to other
people, but we're the only company that's going to actually ship this
chip for a while into the market. This gives us one speed grade higher
than what's available from anybody else.

http://news.com.com/Bechtolsheims+machine+dreams+-+page+2/2008-1010_3-5857470-2.html?tag=st.next

Yousuf Khan
4 answers Last reply
More about special overclocked dual core opteron

    Well, the Socket 939 Semprons are desktop parts, completely different
    market than what Sun is getting special treatment on (Opterons). Sun
    won't be selling Semprons anytime soon. In fact, HP's special
    relationship in desktops might only be affected by a possible entry by
    Lenovo, or very distantly possible, Dell.

    BTW, The 120W parts are 2.4Ghz dual-core and 2.8Ghz single-core.

    http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050912.gtsunsep12/BNStory/Technology/

    Yousuf Khan

    On 12 Sep 2005 05:11:45 -0700, "YKhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Looks like AMD is producing a special Opteron for Sun's Galaxy launch.

    Quote:
    Bechtolsheim: We worked with AMD to bring a higher performance
    >version of the dual-core chip to market. So, this is actually a
    >higher-power version, a 120-watt chip that they especially made for us.
    >I guess they announced that they are going to also sell it to other
    >people, but we're the only company that's going to actually ship this
    >chip for a while into the market. This gives us one speed grade higher
    >than what's available from anybody else.

    >http://news.com.com/Bechtolsheims+machine+dreams+-+page+2/2008-1010_3-5857470-2.html?tag=st.next

    Hmm.. interesting. AMD has found a new best friend. Previously it
    was HP that got first dibs on new versions of processors. Even as
    recently as 3 or 4 months ago HP was getting some AMD chips before
    others, such as the Socket 939 Sempron processors that still aren't
    really available outside of HP systems. Kind of makes you wonder if
    HP will frown on this slight favoritism towards Sun on the new Opteron
    systems, especially since Sun is benchmarketting their new boxes in
    comparison to HP Opteron boxes (in addition to Dell Xeon systems).

    -------------
    Tony Hill

    On 12 Sep 2005 05:11:45 -0700, "YKhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Looks like AMD is producing a special Opteron for Sun's Galaxy launch.

    Quote:
    Bechtolsheim: We worked with AMD to bring a higher performance
    >version of the dual-core chip to market. So, this is actually a
    >higher-power version, a 120-watt chip that they especially made for us.
    >I guess they announced that they are going to also sell it to other
    >people, but we're the only company that's going to actually ship this
    >chip for a while into the market. This gives us one speed grade higher
    >than what's available from anybody else.

    >http://news.com.com/Bechtolsheims+machine+dreams+-+page+2/2008-1010_3-5857470-2.html?tag=st.next
    >
    > Yousuf Khan

    So if they are 120W Opterons, they would be running at around __.__ GHz

    The 120W parts are 2.4Ghz dual-core and 2.8Ghz single-core.

CPUs Chip Dual Core Opteron