Questions about bluetooth

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
July 25, 2005 2:26:16 AM

I'm a little confused about how bluetooth works with Verizon (and in
general, actually). I have a Moto V710 and I'm thinking of picking up a bt
headset sometime this week. Will the Moto HS850 work OK with this phone?
I've been reading in this ng how the phone is crippled in some aspects by
Verizon and I wanted to make sure this would be a good match.

I also have a Compaq nc6000 bluetooth enabled laptop. Can I use the phone as
a modem for the laptop via bluetooth? If I can't connect via bluetooth, can
I connect the laptop to the phone via a data cable? In either case, will I
be charged more than regular voice minutes for using the phone as a modem?

Thanks,
Jon

More about : questions bluetooth

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 4:45:48 AM

In article <3kj0p0Fu5jsjU1@individual.net>,
"zeppo" <zeppo_m@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm a little confused about how bluetooth works with Verizon (and in
> general, actually). I have a Moto V710 and I'm thinking of picking up
> a bt headset sometime this week. Will the Moto HS850 work OK with
> this phone?

Yes.

July 25, 2005 9:30:09 AM

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 22:26:16 -0400, "zeppo" <zeppo_m@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I'm a little confused about how bluetooth works with Verizon (and in
>general, actually). I have a Moto V710 and I'm thinking of picking up a bt
>headset sometime this week. Will the Moto HS850 work OK with this phone?
>I've been reading in this ng how the phone is crippled in some aspects by
>Verizon and I wanted to make sure this would be a good match.

Any BT headset will work.

>I also have a Compaq nc6000 bluetooth enabled laptop. Can I use the phone as
>a modem for the laptop via bluetooth? If I can't connect via bluetooth, can
>I connect the laptop to the phone via a data cable? In either case, will I
>be charged more than regular voice minutes for using the phone as a modem?

Verizon has disabled that feature!
- -
July 25, 2005 5:05:10 PM

zeppo wrote:
> I'm a little confused about how bluetooth works with Verizon (and in
> general, actually). I have a Moto V710 and I'm thinking of picking up a bt
> headset sometime this week. Will the Moto HS850 work OK with this phone?

Can't answer your other questions, but I have a V710 and an HS850 and
they are a dynamite team. I have bad areas in my house (where the phone
itself drops calls), so I now leave the phone in a good area near one
corner of the house and am able to use the phone via HS850 from ANYWHERE
else in the house. Haven't tried the outside range (with phone inside)
yet, though.

Even the wife likes hers. And she HATES technology.

July 25, 2005 9:05:56 PM

In article <qom9e1hig2k4j12rkoc1em43d8lifnqje1@4ax.com>,
Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In either case, will I
> >be charged more than regular voice minutes for using the phone as a modem?
>
> Verizon has disabled that feature!
> - -

No it is not disabled and it only costs voice minutes. It is disabled
for the e815, not the v710.

Google v710 bluetooth modem for more info, which is always a better idea
than posting here first.

m-m
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 8:52:27 AM

LrdAnlh wrote:
> Why does Verizon disable these features. Obviously I would imagine that they
> would disable features that they can gain financially from by having you pay
> for the service in another way, shape or form, but I fail to see how they gain
> here from disabling bluetooth features. I is not like they sell their oen
> bluetooth equipment which is not disabled forcing you to buy their equipment at
> a marked up price that is over inflated. Please let me know about this.

They disable BT features that would let you move multimedia files around
without using their GetItNow or Pix messaging.

> I would also be interested to know from any of our attorney friends that
> frequent this site of what could be gained if at all by instigating a class
> action suit to get Verizon to cease and desist from crippling equipment
> manufactured by others. If they want to cripple something manufacture it or
> design it that way from the start. However any other equiment that they choose
> to carry should not be altered from the way it was designed or intended to
> operate by the maker.

There *is* a suit being settled at this point. LOTS of discussion on
howardforums.com VerizonWireless section about this.

One of the "problems" is that the manufacturers such as Motorola make
the phones to the provider's specifications, including disabling
functions per the provider's instructions.
July 27, 2005 6:56:56 AM

The following is an answere I got back
from verizon on all that stuff. Is the
worst excuse I have heard of yet.

"Thank you for contacting Verizon
Wireless through our website.

I would be more than happy to assist you
on limitations of our bluetooth and
MP3's. I apologize for any inconvenience
this may have caused.

It is the intent of Verizon Wireless to
provide the best equipment and services
possible while maintaining reasonable
security measures to protect our
customers and the security of our
wireless network.

Hypothetically, someone walking by with
a PDA in there pocket or a laptop in a
car near you could pass a virus to your
phone, corrupting your phone, from there
you head home and your home network and
PC is corrupted and finally the virus
corrupts the network.

The limited use of mp3 is also due to
the same security measure's as
bluetooth. Layer 3 files or MP3's or
encrypted sound files that people can
download or even create there own using
there own software. The process in
creating or even downloading MP3's can
carry a virus that can cripple your
phones software. Therefore, we limited
or take out these features for the
safety of both our customers and the
network.

Due to an unusual large amount of
e-mails received, we are taking slightly
longer to respond and we apologize for
the delay. We appreciate your patience.

We appreciate your business. Thank you
for using Verizon Wireless products and
services.

Sincerely,

Brad
Verizon Wireless
Customer Service
"
On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 04:52:27 GMT,
CharlesH <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote:

>LrdAnlh wrote:
>> Why does Verizon disable these features. Obviously I would imagine that they
>> would disable features that they can gain financially from by having you pay
>> for the service in another way, shape or form, but I fail to see how they gain
>> here from disabling bluetooth features. I is not like they sell their oen
>> bluetooth equipment which is not disabled forcing you to buy their equipment at
>> a marked up price that is over inflated. Please let me know about this.
>
>They disable BT features that would let you move multimedia files around
>without using their GetItNow or Pix messaging.
>
>> I would also be interested to know from any of our attorney friends that
>> frequent this site of what could be gained if at all by instigating a class
>> action suit to get Verizon to cease and desist from crippling equipment
>> manufactured by others. If they want to cripple something manufacture it or
>> design it that way from the start. However any other equiment that they choose
>> to carry should not be altered from the way it was designed or intended to
>> operate by the maker.
>
>There *is* a suit being settled at this point. LOTS of discussion on
>howardforums.com VerizonWireless section about this.
>
>One of the "problems" is that the manufacturers such as Motorola make
>the phones to the provider's specifications, including disabling
>functions per the provider's instructions.
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 9:43:40 PM

I just bought VZ's Audiovox XV6600WOC (WithOutCamera) PocketPC. I lucked out
though because they had none in-stock at the VZ store so I got it shipped
direct from Audiovox. I somehow managed to get it up and running without
VZ's "help". The OS is a modified version of Windows CE so that there are
some Windows functions that disappeared. However I have had the phone
functioning as a wireless modem for my desktop 'puter (Windows XP Home SP2).
Both thru BT and the USB port. The BT connection is slower (BT bandwidth is
narrower than USB). I had to buy a BT dongle for my desktop because it
wasn't BT enabled. It works very well in either mode.

!