LCD = Low resolution!

Hi,

I was thinking about purchasing a new LCD monitor to replace my old
faithful Sony 400PS which has been running like a dream for over 4
years. So far my research has led me to believe that all LCD monitors
are manufactured for blind people.

Currently I'm running my 19" Sony @ 1600x1200. If I buy the equivalent
sized LCD screen I'm limited to 1280x1024. I'd have to buy a 20" LCD
to run @ 1600x1200 which would make the contents of the screen too
large in my opinion.

Are the any manufacturers that make high resulution LCD displays?

Thanks in advance!

John Park
12 answers Last reply
More about resolution

    John Park wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I was thinking about purchasing a new LCD monitor to replace my old
    > faithful Sony 400PS which has been running like a dream for over 4
    > years. So far my research has led me to believe that all LCD monitors
    > are manufactured for blind people.
    >
    > Currently I'm running my 19" Sony @ 1600x1200. If I buy the equivalent
    > sized LCD screen I'm limited to 1280x1024. I'd have to buy a 20" LCD
    > to run @ 1600x1200 which would make the contents of the screen too
    > large in my opinion.
    >
    > Are the any manufacturers that make high resulution LCD displays?

    Yes, but refresh rates are low and prices are high. Check IBM and
    Viewsonic.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    John Park wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was thinking about purchasing a new LCD monitor to replace my old
    > faithful Sony 400PS which has been running like a dream for over 4
    > years. So far my research has led me to believe that all LCD monitors
    > are manufactured for blind people.
    >
    > Currently I'm running my 19" Sony @ 1600x1200. If I buy the equivalent
    > sized LCD screen I'm limited to 1280x1024. I'd have to buy a 20" LCD
    > to run @ 1600x1200 which would make the contents of the screen too
    > large in my opinion.
    >
    > Are the any manufacturers that make high resulution LCD displays?

    If you want 1600x1200 native resolution, the top eight listed models may fit
    your requirements.

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?DEPA=1&submit=list&catalog=20&description=&Order=priceD

    Your best bet is to go to a brick and mortar store and have a look at
    several models. Specs don't tell the whole story about monitors, especially
    the TFT variety.

    OTOH, a 22" aperture grille monitor can be had for less than $650US.
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?DEPA=1&submit=list&catalog=19&description=&Order=priceD
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    So far my research has led me to believe that all LCD monitors
    > are manufactured for blind people.

    So far my research has led to believe that all people using 1600x1200 on a small 19" CRT are brain dead.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    On 2 Apr 2004 03:03:38 -0800, gyrex@hotmail.com (John Park) wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I was thinking about purchasing a new LCD monitor to replace my old
    >faithful Sony 400PS which has been running like a dream for over 4
    >years. So far my research has led me to believe that all LCD monitors
    >are manufactured for blind people.
    >
    >Currently I'm running my 19" Sony @ 1600x1200. If I buy the equivalent
    >sized LCD screen I'm limited to 1280x1024. I'd have to buy a 20" LCD
    >to run @ 1600x1200 which would make the contents of the screen too
    >large in my opinion.
    >
    >Are the any manufacturers that make high resulution LCD displays?
    >
    >Thanks in advance!
    >
    >John Park

    You can read text fine at 1600x1200? I can't, and run my 19" crt at
    1024x768, and that's with reading glasses. I have an LCD too but don't
    like the native res of 1280x1024 for the above reason.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 00:55:11 -0500, "Dude" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    > So far my research has led to believe that all people using 1600x1200 on a small 19" CRT are brain dead.

    Or they have bionic vision implants.
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    gyrex@hotmail.com (John Park) wrote in news:836925ca.0404020303.54d38ec8
    @posting.google.com:

    > Currently I'm running my 19" Sony @ 1600x1200. If I buy the equivalent
    > sized LCD screen I'm limited to 1280x1024. I'd have to buy a 20" LCD
    > to run @ 1600x1200 which would make the contents of the screen too
    > large in my opinion.
    >
    > Are the any manufacturers that make high resulution LCD displays?

    Check out 19" offerings from Princeton and Sharp. Princeton offers 19"
    monitors that have 1600x1200 resolution and so may Sharp.
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    > So far my research has led to believe that all people using
    1600x1200 on a small 19" CRT are brain dead.

    As opposed to a LARGE 19" CRT? :-)

    Actually, 1600 x 1200 can be quite readable on a CRT of this
    size; I've tested any number of monitors that worked very well,
    and had the spot size and dot pitch to work with this format.
    1600 x 1200 could also be done on a 17-18" LCD as well,
    of course, but to date the demand for 1600 x 1200 has been
    all in the 20" and above sizes (except for the 15-17" notebook
    panels, of course).

    LCD resolution, in the proper sense of the word, is right
    around 100-110 ppi for mainstream amorphous-silicon
    AMLCD monitor panels. It could go higher (actually, a LOT
    higher - over 200 ppi has been available for some time in
    LTPS LCDs), but outside of the portable computing market
    there's been little demand for it.

    Bob M.
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 00:06:46 GMT, --@nowhere.invalid wrote:

    > gyrex@hotmail.com (John Park) wrote in news:836925ca.0404020303.54d38ec8
    > @posting.google.com:
    >
    > > Are the any manufacturers that make high resulution LCD displays?
    >
    > Check out 19" offerings from Princeton and Sharp. Princeton offers 19"
    > monitors that have 1600x1200 resolution and so may Sharp.

    CRTs maybe, but not LCDs.
    No one makes 19" LCD monitors with 1600x1200 native resolution.
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video on Sat, 03 Apr 2004 13:01:58 -0800
    Fausto Fauntleroy <no@email.here> posted:

    >On 2 Apr 2004 03:03:38 -0800, gyrex@hotmail.com (John Park) wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I was thinking about purchasing a new LCD monitor to replace my old
    >>faithful Sony 400PS which has been running like a dream for over 4
    >>years. So far my research has led me to believe that all LCD monitors
    >>are manufactured for blind people.
    >>
    >>Currently I'm running my 19" Sony @ 1600x1200. If I buy the equivalent
    >>sized LCD screen I'm limited to 1280x1024. I'd have to buy a 20" LCD
    >>to run @ 1600x1200 which would make the contents of the screen too
    >>large in my opinion.
    >>
    >>Are the any manufacturers that make high resulution LCD displays?
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance!
    >>
    >>John Park
    >
    >You can read text fine at 1600x1200? I can't, and run my 19" crt at
    >1024x768, and that's with reading glasses. I have an LCD too but don't
    >like the native res of 1280x1024 for the above reason.

    Please, what does native resolution mean?

    Meirman

    If emailing, please let me know whether
    or not you are posting the same letter.

  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    "meirman" <meirman@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > Please, what does native resolution mean?

    "Native resolution" is a slight misuse of terminology, but
    what it really means is the physical pixel format of the LCD
    panel - for example, 15" LCD monitors generally have a
    fixed pixel format of 1024 x 768 pixels.

    Bob M.
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    > CRTs maybe, but not LCDs.
    > No one makes 19" LCD monitors with 1600x1200 native resolution.

    So the Iiyama AU4831D (Hitachi panel) is only a dream? ;-)

    Surely this resolution is better for 20''/21'' monitor.
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    "Bob Myers" <nospamplease@address.invalid> wrote in message news:<Tfgdc.2605$tY3.1707@news.cpqcorp.net>...
    > "meirman" <meirman@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > > Please, what does native resolution mean?
    >
    > "Native resolution" is a slight misuse of terminology, but
    > what it really means is the physical pixel format of the LCD
    > panel - for example, 15" LCD monitors generally have a
    > fixed pixel format of 1024 x 768 pixels.
    >
    > Bob M.

    Bob, I apologize if this is a bit O.T. & I'm not a regular here, but
    I'm desperate (no exaggeration) because I can't find anyone else to
    advise me with regard to which brands of computer monitors are bright
    vs. dim. Believe me, I've tried, having back & forth correspondencce
    with countless techies, including a NEC techie, Irlen expert & more.

    I'm desperate due to my photosensitivity, and I've already lost money
    investing in both LCD as well as CRT, only to find they're too bright
    for me (unlike older CRTs). And btw, both color-changing & dimming via
    the video card fails to help. Nor does raising frequency rate or
    changing resolution. Nor room-lighting. All the classic so-called
    solutions are bunk where photosensitivity is concerned.

    I know that some photosensitives' problems are resolved via laptops
    but those are expensive & I just bought a new Dell system, so don't
    need a complete system - just a monitor.

    I'd appreciate if you could possibly get back to me privately, as
    there's more I'd like to discuss and it's presently painful for me to
    be at my screen too long due to painful symptoms triggered (& body
    degeneration) via my optic nerves. I promise I won't take up much
    time, I just need some informed answers for a change. Thanks.

Graphics Cards LCD Resolution Graphics Product