Yahoo, MSN, AOL etc instant messenger bloacking via firewall

Hi all.

Can anyone tell me the port numbers these apps use so that I can enter
them into our hardware firewall to prevent users from using these
tools?

Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about yahoo instant messenger bloacking firewall

    On 21 Jul 2004 09:26:23 -0700, Karl Rhodes spoketh

    >Hi all.
    >
    >Can anyone tell me the port numbers these apps use so that I can enter
    >them into our hardware firewall to prevent users from using these
    >tools?
    >
    >Thanks.

    They use whatever ports are available, usually port 80. That makes them
    very difficult to block with a firewall and a lot easier to block with
    policy...

    You could attempt to block access to any passport.net address, that'll
    take care of MSN, MSN Messenger, Hotmail and pretty much everything else
    you need to sign in for that relates to anything Microsoft...

    In the same fashion, you could attempt to block access to anything in
    the oscar.aol.com domain, that'll prevent logins to AOL as well as
    Netscape webmail.

    And, for yahoo, you can block access to *.msg.yahoo.com (IIRC), and
    that'll keep people from getting to YIM and Yahoo webmail and anything
    else that requires authentication in the land of Yahoo.

    So, it's easier to prevent people from install this junk on their
    computers in the first place than it is to prevent them from accessing
    it...

    Lars M. Hansen
    www.hansenonline.net

    Lars M. Hansen <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote in

    > They use whatever ports are available, usually port 80. That makes them
    > very difficult to block with a firewall and a lot easier to block with
    > policy...
    >
    > You could attempt to block access to any passport.net address, that'll
    > take care of MSN, MSN Messenger, Hotmail and pretty much everything else
    > you need to sign in for that relates to anything Microsoft...

    You can also block the sites where the software is downloaded from.

    Bob

    --
    Delete the inverse SPAM to reply

    In article <Xns953CCAB68470bobatcarolnet@207.69.154.205>, usenetMAPS@
    2fiddles.com says...
    > Lars M. Hansen <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote in
    >
    > > They use whatever ports are available, usually port 80. That makes them
    > > very difficult to block with a firewall and a lot easier to block with
    > > policy...
    > >
    > > You could attempt to block access to any passport.net address, that'll
    > > take care of MSN, MSN Messenger, Hotmail and pretty much everything else
    > > you need to sign in for that relates to anything Microsoft...
    > >

    > You can also block the sites where the software is downloaded from.

    The only means I've found is to ferret out the IP's of the servers. If
    you watch the firewall long enough you can get them.

    spamfree999@rrohio.com
    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos <void@nowhere.com> wrote in

    >> You can also block the sites where the software is downloaded from.
    >
    > The only means I've found is to ferret out the IP's of the servers. If
    > you watch the firewall long enough you can get them.

    Hosts file is good for this. I follow the URLs to download the apps and
    block the server there.

    Along with shareware.com, downloads.cnet.com and the like.

    --
    Delete the inverse SPAM to reply

Firewalls Messenger Networking