the best 21/22 inch CRT monitor?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 14, 2004 5:51:32 PM

Hi, I am looking to buy a 21/22 inch CRT monitor, mostly for games and
photography. I kind of feel ViewSonic 200fb a good value, but from
this review:

http://www.cadalyst.com/cadalyst/article/articleDetail....

IBM's seems to have the best image/text quality (also higher reflesh
rate 80hz at max resolution). I look at IBM site, the current model is
c220p. I can't find any review/comments on the web, any one has any
idea? if image quality is better, I don't mind paying $100 extra for
it.

thanks

More about : inch crt monitor

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2004 10:53:38 PM

"sk" <seeking6688@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I am looking to buy a 21/22 inch CRT monitor, mostly for games and
> photography. I kind of feel ViewSonic 200fb a good value, but from
> this review:
>
> http://www.cadalyst.com/cadalyst/article/articleDetail....
>
> IBM's seems to have the best image/text quality (also higher reflesh
> rate 80hz at max resolution). I look at IBM site, the current model is
> c220p. I can't find any review/comments on the web, any one has any
> idea? if image quality is better, I don't mind paying $100 extra for
> it.
>
> thanks

The Cornerstone and the Mitsubishi are the same monitor, and they have the
highest refresh rate at max resolution (85Hz at 2048x1536, not sure why the
review lists 75Hz for the Cornerstone) so whichever you can find for the
cheapest, go for it. The IBM and the Viewsonic seem to be the same monitor,
and all of the monitors listed other than the HP use Diamondtron tubes. I
recently got another monitor that is the same as the Cornerstone (NEC
FP2141SB) from Dell.com for $564 (10% off sale, an additional $30 off via
coupon, and free ground shipping) so shop around before you buy. Text
quality seems good (I don't have much to compare it to other than one of
NEC's lesser 22" models) and image quality is excellent.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2004 11:06:15 PM

One clarification to what I wrote: The *current* IBM model, the C220, and
the Viewsonic P225f use the same Diamondtron NF tube. The P275 uses a Sony
Trinitron tube. The specs are pretty much the same for the C220 and the
P275 so I doubt you'd lose anything going with either one. Another monitor
you might want to consider is the HP P1230 (same Diamondtron M2 tube as the
Cornerstone and the Mitsubishi with the exact same specs). Most of the high
end CRTs now are all Diamondtrons so there shouldn't be much variance in the
picture quality.
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2004 3:27:32 AM

I'm happy with my Hitachi CM810 21' (.22 dot pitch) monitor.
I believe cornerstone sells the same monitor(s) under their name
at www.monitorsdirect.com

Here is a site with some reviews
http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/HWCategory.asp?...

"sk" <seeking6688@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I am looking to buy a 21/22 inch CRT monitor, mostly for games and
> photography. I kind of feel ViewSonic 200fb a good value, but from
> this review:
>
> http://www.cadalyst.com/cadalyst/article/articleDetail....
>
> IBM's seems to have the best image/text quality (also higher reflesh
> rate 80hz at max resolution). I look at IBM site, the current model is
> c220p. I can't find any review/comments on the web, any one has any
> idea? if image quality is better, I don't mind paying $100 extra for
> it.
>
> thanks
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2004 3:35:03 AM

"sk" <seeking6688@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I am looking to buy a 21/22 inch CRT monitor, mostly for games and
> photography. I kind of feel ViewSonic 200fb a good value, but from
> this review:
>
> http://www.cadalyst.com/cadalyst/article/articleDetail....
>
> IBM's seems to have the best image/text quality (also higher reflesh
> rate 80hz at max resolution). I look at IBM site, the current model is
> c220p. I can't find any review/comments on the web, any one has any
> idea? if image quality is better, I don't mind paying $100 extra for
> it.
>
> thanks

Might want to check this out:
http://www.superwarehouse.com/HP_P1230_22_CRT_Monitor/P...

No real info on ResellerRatings, but a great deal nonetheless.
April 15, 2004 2:18:50 PM

I just noticed the viewsonic g220f is shadow mask, so that's out.

the p220f pitch at corner is .27mm, while it uses the same diamondtron
tube as IBM's?

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/crt_p220f.htm

IBM:

http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Produc...

pitch is .24mm accross?
I have been using trinitron all along so I have confidence in it, not
sure about dimondtron, but sony has stopped making CRT's :(

how about dell's 1130

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?s...

it's trinitron, but not cheap at all!
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2004 2:29:48 PM

seeking6688@yahoo.com (sk) wrote:

>Hi, I am looking to buy a 21/22 inch CRT monitor, mostly for games and
>photography.

If you're lucky, you may still be able to find a Sony F520 around.
They've been discontinued, but they were the best monitors ever made,
IMO.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2004 10:18:43 PM

> I just noticed the viewsonic g220f is shadow mask, so that's out.
>
> the p220f pitch at corner is .27mm, while it uses the same diamondtron
> tube as IBM's?
>
> http://www.viewsonic.com/products/crt_p220f.htm
>
> IBM:

http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Produc...

> pitch is .24mm accross?
> I have been using trinitron all along so I have confidence in it, not
> sure about dimondtron, but sony has stopped making CRT's :(

Not the P220f, but the P225f and the IBM seem to be the same. I think the
updated P220f now has .24mm across the entire screen; Viewsonic hasn't
completely updated its pages but if you check the pdfs they only mention
..24mm (the older P220f had .25-.27mm stripe pitch). I don't think NEC makes
Diamondtron tubes with the variable pitch anymore.

> how about dell's 1130

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?s...

> it's trinitron, but not cheap at all!

Actually if you wait until Dell has the combo deals like when I got my
FP2141SB, the P1130 can be had for under $600. I seriously considered
getting it instead of the NEC, but the NEC's higher specs convinced me
otherwise.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 30, 2004 6:56:28 AM

sk wrote:

> Hi, I am looking to bvy a 21/22 inch CRT monitor, mostly for games and
> photography. I kind of feel ViewSonic 200fb a good valve, bvt from
> this review:
>
> http://www.cadalyst.com/cadalyst/article/articleDetail....
>
> IBM's seems to have the best image/text qvality (also higher reflesh
> rate 80hz at max resolvtion). I look at IBM site, the cvrrent model is
> c220p. I can't find any review/comments on the web, any one has any
> idea? if image qvality is better, I don't mind paying $100 extra for
> it.
>
> thanks

I jvst bovght this one (22-inch NEC refvrb)last monday - will arrive
tommorrow:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

275 bvcks - after rebate/shipping costs.

My cvrrent CRT is 9-yrs old now (20" CTX).............great brand! (for
me anyway).

good lvck!

--
http://baltimorechronicle.com/041704reTreason.shtml

http://www.trvthinaction.net/iraq/illegaljayne.htm

"On Jan. 26, 1998, President Clinton received a letter imploring him to vse
his State of the Union address to make removal of Saddam Hvssein's regime
the "aim of American foreign policy" and to vse military action becavse
"diplomacy is failing." Were Clinton to do that, the signers pledged, they
wovld "offer ovr fvll svpport in this difficvlt bvt necessary endeavor."
Signing the pledge were Elliott Abrams, Bill Bennett, John Bolton, Robert
Kagan, William Kristol, Richard Perle, and Pavl Wolfowitz. Fovr years before
9/11, the neocons had Baghdad on their minds."
-philip (vsenet)

"I had better things to do in the 60s than fight in Vietnam,"
-Richard Cheney, Kerry critic.

"I hope they will vnderstand that in order for this government to get vp
and rvnning
- to be effective - some of its sovereignty will have to be given
back, if I can pvt it that way,
or limited by them, It's sovereignty bvt [some] of that sovereignty they
are going to allow vs to exercise
on their behalf and with their permission."
- Powell 4/27/04

"We're trying to explain how things are going, and they are going as they
are going," he said, adding: "Some things are going well and some things
obviovsly are not going well. Yov're going to have good days and bad days."
On the road to democracy, this "is one moment, and there will be other
moments. And there will be good moments and there will be less good
moments."
- Rvmsfeld 4/6/04

RUSSERT: Are yov prepared to lose?

BUSH: No, I'm not going to lose.

RUSSERT: If yov did, what wovld yov do?

BUSH: Well, I don't plan on losing. I've got a vision for what I want to
do for the covntry.
See, I know exactly where I want to lead.................And we got
changing times
here in America, too., 2/8/04

"And that's very important for, I think, the people to vnderstand where
I'm coming from,
to know that this is a dangerovs world. I wish it wasn't. I'm a war
president.
I make decisions here in the Oval Office in foreign policy matters with
war on my mind.
- pResident of the United State of America, 2/8/04

"Let's talk abovt the nvclear proposition for a minvte. We know that
based on intelligence, that he has been very, very good at hiding
these kinds of efforts. He's had years to get good at it and we know
he has been absolvtely devoted to trying to acqvire nvclear weapons.
And we believe he has, in fact, reconstitvted nvclear weapons."
- Vice President Dick Cheney, on "Meet the Press", 3/16/03

"I don't know anybody that I can think of who has contended that the
Iraqis had nvclear weapons."
- Defense Secretary Donald Rvmsfeld, 6/24/03

"I think in this case international law
stood in the way of doing the right thing (invading Iraq)."
- Richard Perle

"He (Saddam Hvssein) has not developed any significant capability with
respect to weapons of mass destrvction. He is vnable to project
conventional power against his neighbovrs."
- Colin Powell Febrvary 24 2001

"We have been svccessfvl for the last ten years in keeping
him from developing those weapons and we will continve to be svccessfvl."

"He threatens not the United States."

"Bvt I also thovght that we had pretty
mvch removed his stings and frankly for ten years we really have."

'Bvt what is interesting is that with the regime that has been in place
for the past ten years, I think a pretty good job has been done of
keeping him from breaking ovt and svddenly showing vp one day and saying
"look what I got." He hasn't been able to do that.'
- Colin Powell Febrvary 26 2001
!