Help wanted with Zone Alarm Pro 3.0.081 - vsmon.exe taking..

Hello,

I am running Windows XP/Intel Pentium 4/Norton AntiVirus 2002. I have
Zone Alarm Pro 3.0.081. I noticed some months ago that vsmon.exe
suddenly took 99% of the cpu, effectively locking up the pc and
necessitating a reboot.

I found a fix for this on the Microsoft site:

"Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 321434
On a computer that is running Microsoft Windows NT or later, use
Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe). To do so, click Start, click Run, and
then type regedt32.
Locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vsmon.

NOTE: Vsmon is a service that is installed by ZoneAlarm Pro.
In the right pane, double-click DependOnService.
In the Edit Multi-String dialog box, you will see a list of items that
might include Afd, RpcSs, and Vsdatant. Add W3SVC to the end of this
list, and then click OK."

I did this and it worked for some months. However, since downloading
the Microsoft XP fixes in the last few weeks, my pc is back to square
one: within one hour of booting up, vsmon.exe takes 99% of the cpu.

Can anyone help me with this? Is another fix lurking out there? Or
do I need to simply buy the latest ZA version and hope it doesn't have
any bugs.

Notes:
1) The W3SVC change is still there.
2) I've tried setting the priority of vsmon.exe to 'low' - no change.
3) I've tried a System Recovery to a point before the problem started
up again - no change.
4) I haven't backed out the Microsoft fixes.
5) I have looked at the ZA forum for a fix but their tone seems to be
'kindly buy the next ZA version."

Thanks in advance to all who post replies in this group.
EB
4 answers Last reply
More about help wanted zone alarm vsmon taking

    zoneprobs NOSPAM @yahoo.co.uk wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I am running Windows XP/Intel Pentium 4/Norton AntiVirus 2002. I have
    >Zone Alarm Pro 3.0.081. I noticed some months ago that vsmon.exe
    >suddenly took 99% of the cpu, effectively locking up the pc and
    >necessitating a reboot.
    >
    >I found a fix for this on the Microsoft site:
    >
    >"Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 321434
    >On a computer that is running Microsoft Windows NT or later, use
    >Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe). To do so, click Start, click Run, and
    >then type regedt32.
    >Locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vsmon.
    >
    >NOTE: Vsmon is a service that is installed by ZoneAlarm Pro.
    >In the right pane, double-click DependOnService.
    >In the Edit Multi-String dialog box, you will see a list of items that
    >might include Afd, RpcSs, and Vsdatant. Add W3SVC to the end of this
    >list, and then click OK."
    >
    >I did this and it worked for some months. However, since downloading
    >the Microsoft XP fixes in the last few weeks, my pc is back to square
    >one: within one hour of booting up, vsmon.exe takes 99% of the cpu.
    >
    >Can anyone help me with this? Is another fix lurking out there? Or
    >do I need to simply buy the latest ZA version and hope it doesn't have
    >any bugs.
    >
    >Notes:
    >1) The W3SVC change is still there.
    >2) I've tried setting the priority of vsmon.exe to 'low' - no change.
    >3) I've tried a System Recovery to a point before the problem started
    >up again - no change.
    >4) I haven't backed out the Microsoft fixes.
    >5) I have looked at the ZA forum for a fix but their tone seems to be
    >'kindly buy the next ZA version."
    >
    >Thanks in advance to all who post replies in this group.
    >EB

    Those who are suggesting a later version of ZA could be giving you the
    best advise. I am running Win XP Pro on a pentium PC, with ZA 5 Pro
    Suite, this version also has vsmon.exe, but my CPU usage is "00" while
    writing this reply.

    Michael

    In article <8sjvf0hic9l9ir3cb3k465h94tv3rrvq64@4ax.com>, zoneprobs
    NOSPAM @yahoo.co.uk says...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am running Windows XP/Intel Pentium 4/Norton AntiVirus 2002. I have
    > Zone Alarm Pro 3.0.081. I noticed some months ago that vsmon.exe
    > suddenly took 99% of the cpu, effectively locking up the pc and
    > necessitating a reboot.
    >
    > Can anyone help me with this? Is another fix lurking out there? Or
    > do I need to simply buy the latest ZA version and hope it doesn't have
    > any bugs.

    Your version is VERY old and could have problems. I'd suggest upgrading
    to the latest version. I'm running it here and my cpu usage is only
    about 1% overall. They're fixing things all the time, so a later
    version will most likely solve your problem..

    --
    Kerodo

    Kerodo <kerodonospamkenny@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.1b69c122bd3c4c4f9896b3@news.central.cox.net>...
    > In article <8sjvf0hic9l9ir3cb3k465h94tv3rrvq64@4ax.com>, zoneprobs
    > NOSPAM @yahoo.co.uk says...
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I am running Windows XP/Intel Pentium 4/Norton AntiVirus 2002. I have
    > > Zone Alarm Pro 3.0.081. I noticed some months ago that vsmon.exe
    > > suddenly took 99% of the cpu, effectively locking up the pc and
    > > necessitating a reboot.
    > >
    > > Can anyone help me with this? Is another fix lurking out there? Or
    > > do I need to simply buy the latest ZA version and hope it doesn't have
    > > any bugs.
    >
    > Your version is VERY old and could have problems. I'd suggest upgrading
    > to the latest version. I'm running it here and my cpu usage is only
    > about 1% overall. They're fixing things all the time, so a later
    > version will most likely solve your problem..

    I am not sure it is because of an OLD version.
    I had just upgraded to the latest version 5.0.590.043 and this 100%
    CPU problem start to happen and I don't have this problem before?

    Hello,

    Firstly my thanks to Michael, Kerodo and Ming for kindly replying.

    I gave in and found a later version of ZA Pro (v 4.5) - it seems to be
    working fine.

    Ming: I heard that v5 has many bugs. Plus you may not have done a
    clean uninstall of your old version of ZA. I suggest you follow the
    ZA instructions for completely removing your old version (using both
    the 'Uninstall' option and then doing a manual search/delete for any
    stray ZA files) before installing the new version. Also if you can
    avoid v5 for the moment it would be a good idea.

    Regards
    EB

    On 25 Jul 2004 22:31:41 -0700, minglam@lam-family.org (ming) wrote:

    >Kerodo <kerodonospamkenny@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.1b69c122bd3c4c4f9896b3@news.central.cox.net>...
    >> In article <8sjvf0hic9l9ir3cb3k465h94tv3rrvq64@4ax.com>, zoneprobs
    >> NOSPAM @yahoo.co.uk says...
    >> > Hello,
    >> >
    >> > I am running Windows XP/Intel Pentium 4/Norton AntiVirus 2002. I have
    >> > Zone Alarm Pro 3.0.081. I noticed some months ago that vsmon.exe
    >> > suddenly took 99% of the cpu, effectively locking up the pc and
    >> > necessitating a reboot.
    >> >
    >> > Can anyone help me with this? Is another fix lurking out there? Or
    >> > do I need to simply buy the latest ZA version and hope it doesn't have
    >> > any bugs.
    >>
    >> Your version is VERY old and could have problems. I'd suggest upgrading
    >> to the latest version. I'm running it here and my cpu usage is only
    >> about 1% overall. They're fixing things all the time, so a later
    >> version will most likely solve your problem..
    >
    >I am not sure it is because of an OLD version.
    >I had just upgraded to the latest version 5.0.590.043 and this 100%
    >CPU problem start to happen and I don't have this problem before?

Firewalls Microsoft Windows XP Networking