Help wanted with Zone Alarm Pro 3.0.081 - vsmon.exe taking..

Tags:
  • Firewalls
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
July 22, 2004 6:46:40 PM

Hello,

I am running Windows XP/Intel Pentium 4/Norton AntiVirus 2002. I have
Zone Alarm Pro 3.0.081. I noticed some months ago that vsmon.exe
suddenly took 99% of the cpu, effectively locking up the pc and
necessitating a reboot.

I found a fix for this on the Microsoft site:

"Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 321434
On a computer that is running Microsoft Windows NT or later, use
Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe). To do so, click Start, click Run, and
then type regedt32.
Locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vsmon.

NOTE: Vsmon is a service that is installed by ZoneAlarm Pro.
In the right pane, double-click DependOnService.
In the Edit Multi-String dialog box, you will see a list of items that
might include Afd, RpcSs, and Vsdatant. Add W3SVC to the end of this
list, and then click OK."

I did this and it worked for some months. However, since downloading
the Microsoft XP fixes in the last few weeks, my pc is back to square
one: within one hour of booting up, vsmon.exe takes 99% of the cpu.

Can anyone help me with this? Is another fix lurking out there? Or
do I need to simply buy the latest ZA version and hope it doesn't have
any bugs.

Notes:
1) The W3SVC change is still there.
2) I've tried setting the priority of vsmon.exe to 'low' - no change.
3) I've tried a System Recovery to a point before the problem started
up again - no change.
4) I haven't backed out the Microsoft fixes.
5) I have looked at the ZA forum for a fix but their tone seems to be
'kindly buy the next ZA version."

Thanks in advance to all who post replies in this group.
EB

More about : wanted zone alarm pro 081 vsmon exe taking

July 22, 2004 6:46:41 PM

zoneprobs NOSPAM @yahoo.co.uk wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am running Windows XP/Intel Pentium 4/Norton AntiVirus 2002. I have
>Zone Alarm Pro 3.0.081. I noticed some months ago that vsmon.exe
>suddenly took 99% of the cpu, effectively locking up the pc and
>necessitating a reboot.
>
>I found a fix for this on the Microsoft site:
>
>"Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 321434
>On a computer that is running Microsoft Windows NT or later, use
>Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe). To do so, click Start, click Run, and
>then type regedt32.
>Locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vsmon.
>
>NOTE: Vsmon is a service that is installed by ZoneAlarm Pro.
>In the right pane, double-click DependOnService.
>In the Edit Multi-String dialog box, you will see a list of items that
>might include Afd, RpcSs, and Vsdatant. Add W3SVC to the end of this
>list, and then click OK."
>
>I did this and it worked for some months. However, since downloading
>the Microsoft XP fixes in the last few weeks, my pc is back to square
>one: within one hour of booting up, vsmon.exe takes 99% of the cpu.
>
>Can anyone help me with this? Is another fix lurking out there? Or
>do I need to simply buy the latest ZA version and hope it doesn't have
>any bugs.
>
>Notes:
>1) The W3SVC change is still there.
>2) I've tried setting the priority of vsmon.exe to 'low' - no change.
>3) I've tried a System Recovery to a point before the problem started
>up again - no change.
>4) I haven't backed out the Microsoft fixes.
>5) I have looked at the ZA forum for a fix but their tone seems to be
>'kindly buy the next ZA version."
>
>Thanks in advance to all who post replies in this group.
>EB

Those who are suggesting a later version of ZA could be giving you the
best advise. I am running Win XP Pro on a pentium PC, with ZA 5 Pro
Suite, this version also has vsmon.exe, but my CPU usage is "00" while
writing this reply.

Michael
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 6:46:41 PM

In article <8sjvf0hic9l9ir3cb3k465h94tv3rrvq64@4ax.com>, zoneprobs
NOSPAM @yahoo.co.uk says...
> Hello,
>
> I am running Windows XP/Intel Pentium 4/Norton AntiVirus 2002. I have
> Zone Alarm Pro 3.0.081. I noticed some months ago that vsmon.exe
> suddenly took 99% of the cpu, effectively locking up the pc and
> necessitating a reboot.
>
> Can anyone help me with this? Is another fix lurking out there? Or
> do I need to simply buy the latest ZA version and hope it doesn't have
> any bugs.

Your version is VERY old and could have problems. I'd suggest upgrading
to the latest version. I'm running it here and my cpu usage is only
about 1% overall. They're fixing things all the time, so a later
version will most likely solve your problem..

--
Kerodo
July 26, 2004 2:31:41 AM

Kerodo <kerodonospamkenny@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.1b69c122bd3c4c4f9896b3@news.central.cox.net>...
> In article <8sjvf0hic9l9ir3cb3k465h94tv3rrvq64@4ax.com>, zoneprobs
> NOSPAM @yahoo.co.uk says...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am running Windows XP/Intel Pentium 4/Norton AntiVirus 2002. I have
> > Zone Alarm Pro 3.0.081. I noticed some months ago that vsmon.exe
> > suddenly took 99% of the cpu, effectively locking up the pc and
> > necessitating a reboot.
> >
> > Can anyone help me with this? Is another fix lurking out there? Or
> > do I need to simply buy the latest ZA version and hope it doesn't have
> > any bugs.
>
> Your version is VERY old and could have problems. I'd suggest upgrading
> to the latest version. I'm running it here and my cpu usage is only
> about 1% overall. They're fixing things all the time, so a later
> version will most likely solve your problem..

I am not sure it is because of an OLD version.
I had just upgraded to the latest version 5.0.590.043 and this 100%
CPU problem start to happen and I don't have this problem before?
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 1:05:13 PM

Hello,

Firstly my thanks to Michael, Kerodo and Ming for kindly replying.

I gave in and found a later version of ZA Pro (v 4.5) - it seems to be
working fine.

Ming: I heard that v5 has many bugs. Plus you may not have done a
clean uninstall of your old version of ZA. I suggest you follow the
ZA instructions for completely removing your old version (using both
the 'Uninstall' option and then doing a manual search/delete for any
stray ZA files) before installing the new version. Also if you can
avoid v5 for the moment it would be a good idea.

Regards
EB

!