NVIDIA - Next 10 Years Roadmap

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

http://www.digit-life.com/news.html?104156#104156

according to this roadmap, Nvidia is aiming for GPUs on 20 nm with 5.5
billion transistors, 270 GP fillrate, 127 billion verts/sec, 10 TFLOPs
graphics FP performance, 3 TB of graphics bandwidth and 32 GB
framebuffer, by 2014.

I assume ATI has a similar roadmap.

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Maybe Half Life 2 and Doom 3 might be out by then. Maybe not.

DaveL

"DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Maybe Half Life 2 and Doom 3 might be out by then. Maybe not.
>
> DaveL

We can only hope. I assume the games will be re-worked over time during
their respective development cycles to take advantage of the new tech as
it evolves over those 10 years.

NightSky 421 wrote:
> "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Maybe Half Life 2 and Doom 3 might be out by then. Maybe not.
>>
>> DaveL
>>

> We can only hope. I assume the games will be re-worked over time
> during their respective development cycles to take advantage of the
> new tech as it evolves over those 10 years.

I wonder if it will still run on a GeForce3 like they originally stated.

"neopolaris" <.> wrote in message

> I wonder if it will still run on a GeForce3 like they originally
stated.

I too also recall the original claims that Doom 3 would be great on a
GeForce3 card since it supports DirectX 8. I remember people buying the
card "in preparation" for the game. Three years later, buying habits
for video cards for such reasons haven't changed a whole lot!

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

That's so sad. I'm sure that the people that bought GF3s for Doom3 also
bought GF4s for the same reason. They then bought FX cards for it and now
they will likely be talked into buying GF6s for it that who knows, may come
with a bogus voucher ala ATI and HL2. Very sad indeed.

DaveL

> That's so sad. I'm sure that the people that bought GF3s for Doom3
also
> bought GF4s for the same reason. They then bought FX cards for it and
now
> they will likely be talked into buying GF6s for it that who knows, may
come
> with a bogus voucher ala ATI and HL2. Very sad indeed.
>
> DaveL

Yeah no doubt. Personally, I don't upgrade my computer for the sake of
upcoming games since it's a bad strategy. Promised release dates are
often moved back. I also don't like to upgrade because a game or two
doesn't run optimally. In my experience, it's much more satisfying to
hang onto a card for a fixed amount of time and then upgrade when you'd
normally need to. This way, you appreciate the boost in speed much more
than if you're upgrading for the benefit of a game or two.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"NightSky 421" <nightsky421@no-mail-please.com> wrote:

>"neopolaris" <.> wrote in message
>>
>> I wonder if it will still run on a GeForce3 like they originally stated.
>
>I too also recall the original claims that Doom 3 would be great on a
>GeForce3 card since it supports DirectX 8. I remember people buying the
>card "in preparation" for the game. Three years later, buying habits
>for video cards for such reasons haven't changed a whole lot!

Of course, Doom3 will be OpenGL, not Directx, but I suppose they tend
to evolve in similar ways... I think Id must have, at some point,
changed their minds about the hardware level they needed to obtain
their goals.

It's kind of a vicious circle, really - game gets delayed (as almost
all big projects take longer than planned), therefore new hardware
(that you want to take advantage of) will be available, therefore game
engine gets re-engineered for newer hardware, which causes more
delays...

"chrisv" <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

> Of course, Doom3 will be OpenGL, not Directx,
<snip>

I wondered about that myself, but I do recall something of an evolution
in OpenGL at the same time as well.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

> It's kind of a vicious circle, really - game gets delayed (as almost
> all big projects take longer than planned), therefore new hardware
> (that you want to take advantage of) will be available, therefore game
> engine gets re-engineered for newer hardware, which causes more
> delays...

I feel sorry for anyone who keeps upgrading their video cards waiting for
the new Duke Nukem. They must have went through 10 cards by now, hahaha.

(seriously, has DN officially been axed yet?)

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

What about Duke Nukem Forever? I'm going to get a Voodoo 5 for that
one!!!!

Brad