DVD-R/RW Disks Not Recognized

I am having a problem trying to write to various DVD disks and wonder if it
is common or if there is some "fix". Listed below are the specifics:

Memorex DVD-RW disks are not recognized by Nero's InCD software - I cannot
format the disks nor can I copy disk to disk from another DVD ( I was able
to do this yesterday when I copied to a Fuji DVD-RW disk.)

Philips DVD-R disks are apparantly not being recognized either as Nero's
copy software gives the following errors "Illegal Disk" and "Could not
perform start of disk-at-once."

The source I am trying to copy from is a locally created 8mm film that has
been converted to DVD.

My burner (NEC DVD_RW ND-1300A) has no problem creating and updating CD's
using the same software and did copy the desired file to a DVD+R disk which,
unfortunately, will not work in my TV/DVD combo. I also was able to format
(via InCD) a DVD+RW for data.

Am I missing something or is this a common situation that might be
attributed to the specific manufacturer's of the DVD's?

TIA
Tom
2 answers Last reply
More about disks recognized

    Some discs just don't work well with some drives - do you have the
    dual-format 1300A, or the single-format (+R/+RW) version of that drive?

    "Tom Clydesdale" <t.clydesdale.nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I am having a problem trying to write to various DVD disks and wonder if it
    > is common or if there is some "fix". Listed below are the specifics:
    >
    > Memorex DVD-RW disks are not recognized by Nero's InCD software - I cannot
    > format the disks nor can I copy disk to disk from another DVD ( I was able
    > to do this yesterday when I copied to a Fuji DVD-RW disk.)
    >
    > Philips DVD-R disks are apparantly not being recognized either as Nero's
    > copy software gives the following errors "Illegal Disk" and "Could not
    > perform start of disk-at-once."
    >
    > The source I am trying to copy from is a locally created 8mm film that has
    > been converted to DVD.
    >
    > My burner (NEC DVD_RW ND-1300A) has no problem creating and updating CD's
    > using the same software and did copy the desired file to a DVD+R disk
    > which,
    > unfortunately, will not work in my TV/DVD combo. I also was able to
    > format
    > (via InCD) a DVD+RW for data.
    >
    > Am I missing something or is this a common situation that might be
    > attributed to the specific manufacturer's of the DVD's?
    >
    > TIA
    > Tom

    Ed,

    I do have the dual format 1300A version of the drive and it does work on the
    DVD-R/RW disks but, as you mentioned, it is fussy about the manufacturer's
    product. After much investigation and going to the NEC website I finally
    determined that of all the "recommended" brands I only have access to two
    (Verbatum & Fuji) and they work as advertised. Thank you for the clues.

    "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > Some discs just don't work well with some drives - do you have the
    > dual-format 1300A, or the single-format (+R/+RW) version of that drive?
    >

    > "Tom Clydesdale" <t.clydesdale.nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > >I am having a problem trying to write to various DVD disks and wonder if
    it
    > > is common or if there is some "fix". Listed below are the specifics:
    > >
    > > Memorex DVD-RW disks are not recognized by Nero's InCD software - I
    cannot
    > > format the disks nor can I copy disk to disk from another DVD ( I was
    able
    > > to do this yesterday when I copied to a Fuji DVD-RW disk.)
    > >
    > > Philips DVD-R disks are apparantly not being recognized either as Nero's
    > > copy software gives the following errors "Illegal Disk" and "Could not
    > > perform start of disk-at-once."
    > >
    > > The source I am trying to copy from is a locally created 8mm film that
    has
    > > been converted to DVD.
    > >
    > > My burner (NEC DVD_RW ND-1300A) has no problem creating and updating
    CD's
    > > using the same software and did copy the desired file to a DVD+R disk
    > > which,
    > > unfortunately, will not work in my TV/DVD combo. I also was able to
    > > format
    > > (via InCD) a DVD+RW for data.
    > >
    > > Am I missing something or is this a common situation that might be
    > > attributed to the specific manufacturer's of the DVD's?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > > Tom

Gateway DVD DVD Writers Computers