SP2 firewall in xp pro

Last response: in Networking
a b 8 Security
July 23, 2004 4:34:40 AM

I am using SP2 in windowsxp pro with the firewall enabled.is it a decent
firewall?.or do i need a better one?..thanks

More about : sp2 firewall pro

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 23, 2004 6:25:46 AM

RH710 wrote:
> I am using SP2 in windowsxp pro with the firewall enabled.is it a decent
> firewall?.or do i need a better one?..thanks

It depends. Ask yourself the following questions:

1. Are you the sole user of that computer?
2. Can you rigorously enforce safe computing practices on that computer?
3. Do you run P2P file sharing services?
4. Do you use IE as your primary web browser and/or OE for mail and news?

If you can answer yes to questions 1 & 2, and no to the last 2, then the
XP SP2 firewall is probably all you need.

The computer I'm using now is solely used by me, so I don't worry about
bi-directional firewalling. Computers I have that are used by other
family members all have good personal firewalls installed, along with
reliable AV software, running on access.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 23, 2004 5:48:47 PM

"optikl" <optikl@invalid.net> wrote in message
> RH710 wrote:
> > I am using SP2 in windowsxp pro with the firewall enabled.is it a decent
> > firewall?.or do i need a better one?..thanks
> >

> It depends. Ask yourself the following questions:
>
> 1. Are you the sole user of that computer?
> 2. Can you rigorously enforce safe computing practices on that computer?
> 3. Do you run P2P file sharing services?
> 4. Do you use IE as your primary web browser and/or OE for mail and news?
>
> If you can answer yes to questions 1 & 2, and no to the last 2, then the
> XP SP2 firewall is probably all you need.
>
> The computer I'm using now is solely used by me, so I don't worry about
> bi-directional firewalling. Computers I have that are used by other
> family members all have good personal firewalls installed, along with
> reliable AV software, running on access.

yes, optiki what fw do you suggest fro xp?

Something light to hdd space and memeory :)
a b 8 Security
July 23, 2004 5:48:48 PM

beatnik wrote:
> "optikl" <optikl@invalid.net> wrote in message
>
>>RH710 wrote:
>>
>>>I am using SP2 in windowsxp pro with the firewall enabled.is it a decent
>>>firewall?.or do i need a better one?..thanks
>>>

>>It depends. Ask yourself the following questions:
>>
>>1. Are you the sole user of that computer?
>>2. Can you rigorously enforce safe computing practices on that computer?
>>3. Do you run P2P file sharing services?
>>4. Do you use IE as your primary web browser and/or OE for mail and news?
>>
>>If you can answer yes to questions 1 & 2, and no to the last 2, then the
>>XP SP2 firewall is probably all you need.
>>
>>The computer I'm using now is solely used by me, so I don't worry about
>>bi-directional firewalling. Computers I have that are used by other
>>family members all have good personal firewalls installed, along with
>>reliable AV software, running on access.
>

> yes, optiki what fw do you suggest fro xp?
>
> Something light to hdd space and memeory :)

I don't like recommending "products", per se. My preferences are not
yours; neither are my opinions. I'll tell you what I use:

I use Trendmicro Internet Security on the laptop which is in my sole
control. It has all the security I want, or need, and has the
flexibility to set up different Intrusion Control options, depending on
where I'm connecting from. It doesn't have application based
firewalling. So, from that standpoint, it is much different from the XP
firewall. The system I use it on, however, isn't running XP. It runs
2000 Pro.

For systems that are used by others, I use both Outpost Pro 2.1 and
Kerio 2.1.5 (not both on the same systems, at the same time). Kerio is
very easy on resources and if you don't mind learning how to properly
setup rules, it's very easy to customize. If you want something that's
more set and forget, then Outpost would be my choice. It also has a free
version.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 23, 2004 8:32:35 PM

"beatnik" <konpad@auth.gr> wrote:

> yes, optiki what fw do you suggest fro xp?
>
> Something light to hdd space and memeory :)

An external box. Can't go lighter on hdd space and memory :-)

Much safer, too, as it can't be disabled by any trojan you run on your
machine.

Juergen Nieveler
--
Don't give blondes coffee breaks, it takes too long to retrain them
Anonymous

"beatnik" <konpad@auth.gr> wrote:

> Harware firewalling rocks but that just costs money!

Then use a software firewall backed up by common wetware: Brain 1.0 :-)

> I ll think i lls tick to soft ones but something makes my kerio v2.1.5
> to close 5-10 secs after it started! :(

Sounds BAD - something on your machine stops your firewall, either it's
a bug or something much worse.

You should boot from a safe boot disc (PEBuilder rocks...) and check
your machine for viruses and trojans ASAP.

Juergen Nieveler
--
I *did* read the docs; that's why I'm confused!
July 23, 2004 11:53:34 PM

Juergen Nieveler wrote:

> "beatnik" <konpad@auth.gr> wrote:
>
>> yes, optiki what fw do you suggest fro xp?
>>
>> Something light to hdd space and memeory :)
>
> An external box. Can't go lighter on hdd space and memory :-)
>
> Much safer, too, as it can't be disabled by any trojan you run on your
> machine.
>
> Juergen Nieveler

How is "an external box" going to help with application-based outbound
control? It won't; it can't, not the way something running locally can.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 24, 2004 12:12:41 AM

> beatnik wrote:
> > "optikl" <optikl@invalid.net> wrote in message

> >>It depends. Ask yourself the following questions:
> >>
> >>1. Are you the sole user of that computer?
> >>2. Can you rigorously enforce safe computing practices on that computer?
> >>3. Do you run P2P file sharing services?
> >>4. Do you use IE as your primary web browser and/or OE for mail and
news?

> >>If you can answer yes to questions 1 & 2, and no to the last 2, then the
> >>XP SP2 firewall is probably all you need.
> >>
> >>The computer I'm using now is solely used by me, so I don't worry about
> >>bi-directional firewalling. Computers I have that are used by other
> >>family members all have good personal firewalls installed, along with
> >>reliable AV software, running on access.
> >

> > yes, optiki what fw do you suggest fro xp?
> >
> > Something light to hdd space and memeory :)
> >

> I don't like recommending "products", per se. My preferences are not
> yours; neither are my opinions. I'll tell you what I use:
>
> I use Trendmicro Internet Security on the laptop which is in my sole
> control. It has all the security I want, or need, and has the
> flexibility to set up different Intrusion Control options, depending on
> where I'm connecting from. It doesn't have application based
> firewalling. So, from that standpoint, it is much different from the XP
> firewall. The system I use it on, however, isn't running XP. It runs
> 2000 Pro.
>
> For systems that are used by others, I use both Outpost Pro 2.1 and
> Kerio 2.1.5 (not both on the same systems, at the same time). Kerio is
> very easy on resources and if you don't mind learning how to properly
> setup rules, it's very easy to customize. If you want something that's
> more set and forget, then Outpost would be my choice. It also has a free
> version.

i use kerio v21.5. myself but it closes 5-10 secs evry tiem i want to sue
it? Any ideas why?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 24, 2004 12:14:22 AM

"Juergen Nieveler" <juergen.nieveler.nospam@arcor.de> wrote in message
> "beatnik" <konpad@auth.gr> wrote:
>
> > yes, optiki what fw do you suggest fro xp?
> >
> > Something light to hdd space and memeory :)
>
> An external box. Can't go lighter on hdd space and memory :-)
>
> Much safer, too, as it can't be disabled by any trojan you run on your
> machine.
>
> Juergen Nieveler
> --
> Don't give blondes coffee breaks, it takes too long to retrain them

Harware firewalling rocks but that just costs money! I ll think i lls tick
to soft ones but something makes my kerio v2.1.5 to close 5-10 secs after it
started! :(
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 24, 2004 2:05:49 AM

"Scott" <noreply@here.org> wrote:

> How is "an external box" going to help with application-based outbound
> control? It won't; it can't, not the way something running locally can.

Nor can something running locally control outbound traffic. The
"personal firewall" runs with the same rights as the application, the
application can disable or circumvent the "personal firewall" at will.

Juergen Nieveler
--
If Bush should hate Kiwis and then Alica will be wearing his last coat.
Anonymous

In article <21eMc.56968$yd5.52672@twister.nyroc.rr.com>,
noreply@here.org says...
> How is "an external box" going to help with application-based outbound
> control? It won't; it can't, not the way something running locally can.

There are a LOT more risks inbound than outbound.

One thing to consider is the user running the firewall. I use Tiny on my
laptops and would be hard pressed to install it (or kerio) on a normal
users system. There are a ton of requests that have to be
approved/disapproved or permitted always when you set it up. I can see a
normal user installing it, allowing some inbound service, and getting
hacked easily.

A border device, one that the user doesn't have to do anything with or
control on their OS, is a great solution to complement a personal
firewall.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 24, 2004 4:10:27 AM

beatnik wrote:

> i use kerio v21.5. myself but it closes 5-10 secs evry tiem i want to sue
> it? Any ideas why?

No. Have you tried the Kerio Forum for help?
http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/kerio
!