SP2 firewall in xp pro

I am using SP2 in windowsxp pro with the firewall enabled.is it a decent
firewall?.or do i need a better one?..thanks
11 answers Last reply
More about firewall

    RH710 wrote:
    > I am using SP2 in windowsxp pro with the firewall enabled.is it a decent
    > firewall?.or do i need a better one?..thanks

    It depends. Ask yourself the following questions:

    1. Are you the sole user of that computer?
    2. Can you rigorously enforce safe computing practices on that computer?
    3. Do you run P2P file sharing services?
    4. Do you use IE as your primary web browser and/or OE for mail and news?

    If you can answer yes to questions 1 & 2, and no to the last 2, then the
    XP SP2 firewall is probably all you need.

    The computer I'm using now is solely used by me, so I don't worry about
    bi-directional firewalling. Computers I have that are used by other
    family members all have good personal firewalls installed, along with
    reliable AV software, running on access.

    "optikl" <optikl@invalid.net> wrote in message
    > RH710 wrote:
    > > I am using SP2 in windowsxp pro with the firewall enabled.is it a decent
    > > firewall?.or do i need a better one?..thanks
    > >

    > It depends. Ask yourself the following questions:
    >
    > 1. Are you the sole user of that computer?
    > 2. Can you rigorously enforce safe computing practices on that computer?
    > 3. Do you run P2P file sharing services?
    > 4. Do you use IE as your primary web browser and/or OE for mail and news?
    >
    > If you can answer yes to questions 1 & 2, and no to the last 2, then the
    > XP SP2 firewall is probably all you need.
    >
    > The computer I'm using now is solely used by me, so I don't worry about
    > bi-directional firewalling. Computers I have that are used by other
    > family members all have good personal firewalls installed, along with
    > reliable AV software, running on access.

    yes, optiki what fw do you suggest fro xp?

    Something light to hdd space and memeory :)

    beatnik wrote:
    > "optikl" <optikl@invalid.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>RH710 wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am using SP2 in windowsxp pro with the firewall enabled.is it a decent
    >>>firewall?.or do i need a better one?..thanks
    >>>

    >>It depends. Ask yourself the following questions:
    >>
    >>1. Are you the sole user of that computer?
    >>2. Can you rigorously enforce safe computing practices on that computer?
    >>3. Do you run P2P file sharing services?
    >>4. Do you use IE as your primary web browser and/or OE for mail and news?
    >>
    >>If you can answer yes to questions 1 & 2, and no to the last 2, then the
    >>XP SP2 firewall is probably all you need.
    >>
    >>The computer I'm using now is solely used by me, so I don't worry about
    >>bi-directional firewalling. Computers I have that are used by other
    >>family members all have good personal firewalls installed, along with
    >>reliable AV software, running on access.
    >

    > yes, optiki what fw do you suggest fro xp?
    >
    > Something light to hdd space and memeory :)

    I don't like recommending "products", per se. My preferences are not
    yours; neither are my opinions. I'll tell you what I use:

    I use Trendmicro Internet Security on the laptop which is in my sole
    control. It has all the security I want, or need, and has the
    flexibility to set up different Intrusion Control options, depending on
    where I'm connecting from. It doesn't have application based
    firewalling. So, from that standpoint, it is much different from the XP
    firewall. The system I use it on, however, isn't running XP. It runs
    2000 Pro.

    For systems that are used by others, I use both Outpost Pro 2.1 and
    Kerio 2.1.5 (not both on the same systems, at the same time). Kerio is
    very easy on resources and if you don't mind learning how to properly
    setup rules, it's very easy to customize. If you want something that's
    more set and forget, then Outpost would be my choice. It also has a free
    version.

    "beatnik" <konpad@auth.gr> wrote:

    > yes, optiki what fw do you suggest fro xp?
    >
    > Something light to hdd space and memeory :)

    An external box. Can't go lighter on hdd space and memory :-)

    Much safer, too, as it can't be disabled by any trojan you run on your
    machine.

    Juergen Nieveler
    --
    Don't give blondes coffee breaks, it takes too long to retrain them

    "beatnik" <konpad@auth.gr> wrote:

    > Harware firewalling rocks but that just costs money!

    Then use a software firewall backed up by common wetware: Brain 1.0 :-)

    > I ll think i lls tick to soft ones but something makes my kerio v2.1.5
    > to close 5-10 secs after it started! :(

    Sounds BAD - something on your machine stops your firewall, either it's
    a bug or something much worse.

    You should boot from a safe boot disc (PEBuilder rocks...) and check
    your machine for viruses and trojans ASAP.

    Juergen Nieveler
    --
    I *did* read the docs; that's why I'm confused!

    Juergen Nieveler wrote:

    > "beatnik" <konpad@auth.gr> wrote:
    >
    >> yes, optiki what fw do you suggest fro xp?
    >>
    >> Something light to hdd space and memeory :)
    >
    > An external box. Can't go lighter on hdd space and memory :-)
    >
    > Much safer, too, as it can't be disabled by any trojan you run on your
    > machine.
    >
    > Juergen Nieveler

    How is "an external box" going to help with application-based outbound
    control? It won't; it can't, not the way something running locally can.

    > beatnik wrote:
    > > "optikl" <optikl@invalid.net> wrote in message

    > >>It depends. Ask yourself the following questions:
    > >>
    > >>1. Are you the sole user of that computer?
    > >>2. Can you rigorously enforce safe computing practices on that computer?
    > >>3. Do you run P2P file sharing services?
    > >>4. Do you use IE as your primary web browser and/or OE for mail and
    news?

    > >>If you can answer yes to questions 1 & 2, and no to the last 2, then the
    > >>XP SP2 firewall is probably all you need.
    > >>
    > >>The computer I'm using now is solely used by me, so I don't worry about
    > >>bi-directional firewalling. Computers I have that are used by other
    > >>family members all have good personal firewalls installed, along with
    > >>reliable AV software, running on access.
    > >

    > > yes, optiki what fw do you suggest fro xp?
    > >
    > > Something light to hdd space and memeory :)
    > >

    > I don't like recommending "products", per se. My preferences are not
    > yours; neither are my opinions. I'll tell you what I use:
    >
    > I use Trendmicro Internet Security on the laptop which is in my sole
    > control. It has all the security I want, or need, and has the
    > flexibility to set up different Intrusion Control options, depending on
    > where I'm connecting from. It doesn't have application based
    > firewalling. So, from that standpoint, it is much different from the XP
    > firewall. The system I use it on, however, isn't running XP. It runs
    > 2000 Pro.
    >
    > For systems that are used by others, I use both Outpost Pro 2.1 and
    > Kerio 2.1.5 (not both on the same systems, at the same time). Kerio is
    > very easy on resources and if you don't mind learning how to properly
    > setup rules, it's very easy to customize. If you want something that's
    > more set and forget, then Outpost would be my choice. It also has a free
    > version.

    i use kerio v21.5. myself but it closes 5-10 secs evry tiem i want to sue
    it? Any ideas why?

    "Juergen Nieveler" <juergen.nieveler.nospam@arcor.de> wrote in message
    > "beatnik" <konpad@auth.gr> wrote:
    >
    > > yes, optiki what fw do you suggest fro xp?
    > >
    > > Something light to hdd space and memeory :)
    >
    > An external box. Can't go lighter on hdd space and memory :-)
    >
    > Much safer, too, as it can't be disabled by any trojan you run on your
    > machine.
    >
    > Juergen Nieveler
    > --
    > Don't give blondes coffee breaks, it takes too long to retrain them

    Harware firewalling rocks but that just costs money! I ll think i lls tick
    to soft ones but something makes my kerio v2.1.5 to close 5-10 secs after it
    started! :(
  9. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    "Scott" <noreply@here.org> wrote:

    > How is "an external box" going to help with application-based outbound
    > control? It won't; it can't, not the way something running locally can.

    Nor can something running locally control outbound traffic. The
    "personal firewall" runs with the same rights as the application, the
    application can disable or circumvent the "personal firewall" at will.

    Juergen Nieveler
    --
    If Bush should hate Kiwis and then Alica will be wearing his last coat.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    In article <21eMc.56968$yd5.52672@twister.nyroc.rr.com>,
    noreply@here.org says...
    > How is "an external box" going to help with application-based outbound
    > control? It won't; it can't, not the way something running locally can.

    There are a LOT more risks inbound than outbound.

    One thing to consider is the user running the firewall. I use Tiny on my
    laptops and would be hard pressed to install it (or kerio) on a normal
    users system. There are a ton of requests that have to be
    approved/disapproved or permitted always when you set it up. I can see a
    normal user installing it, allowing some inbound service, and getting
    hacked easily.

    A border device, one that the user doesn't have to do anything with or
    control on their OS, is a great solution to complement a personal
    firewall.

    spamfree999@rrohio.com
    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
  11. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    beatnik wrote:

    > i use kerio v21.5. myself but it closes 5-10 secs evry tiem i want to sue
    > it? Any ideas why?

    No. Have you tried the Kerio Forum for help?
    http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/kerio

Firewalls Security Windows XP Networking