Which Gateway notebook?(long)

I you have a few minutes to spare here, I would like your advise.
Which Gateway notebook is the most reliable out of their current offerings
and the ones on their remanufactured page? And, should I definitely get the
3 year warranty?

Are their any I should steer clear from?

I'd like to stick with a Centrino or Pentium 4-M processor. The straight
Pentium 4's just draw to much current, things get to hot and battery life
suffers.

I've decided that built-in/integrated graphic cards will be fine, I'll use
my desktop for gaming. Hopefully the majority of these built-in/integrated
graphic cards will be sufficient for watching DVD's if I choose to go with
one of their many different CD/DVD combo players/writers?

Looking to fork out maybe a few dollars more than $1500. They all for the
most part seem to have the options I would like in all of their base
systems. ie.. usb, cdrom, parallel port, Li-Ion Battery, 10/100 Eth., PC
Card/ PCMCIA. I suppose I don't need a floppy drive anymore. Bootable CD's
seem to do pretty much the same thing and hold a hell of a lot more info
these days : ) Can't write to it(CD) from a C:\ prompt though, don't really
see why I would need to though really.

Screen size is not nearly as important inasmuch quality and reliability are.
Is one LCD design/size better than another?

20-40 gig HD is more than ample.
512mb of memory is probably, no definitely a good idea.
WinXP Pro would be nice but not critical in case I decide to run Dreamweaver
MX to work on my site which I probably will.
CD or DVD writing will again take place on the available XP Home desktop.

Weight I'm not concerned with, I mean, it should weigh less than say, 10
pounds.

MS Works will go in the trash, I've got Office 2K SBE.

Uhm.. lets see, what else?

I guess that's pretty much it, at least everything that's of most
importance.

What do you think? Tell me.

Thank you for your time,
Ty
2 answers Last reply
More about which gateway notebook long

    I bought the 450X last December and have been very happy with it. Don't know
    about how the others compare. I got the 3 year warranty, I think with a
    laptop you really need it since you can't fix laptops yourself as easily as
    you can a desktop. I also opted for the single module 512 MB RAM as that
    would leave a slot free if I ever want to add more memory.

    In news:sry%c.13008$QJ3.12702@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com,
    Tyrone Jackson <tycobb@earth.net> stated

    "Tyrone Jackson" <tycobb@earth.net> wrote in message
    > I you have a few minutes to spare here, I would like your advise.
    > Which Gateway notebook is the most reliable out of their current offerings
    > and the ones on their remanufactured page? And, should I definitely get
    the
    > 3 year warranty?
    >
    > Are their any I should steer clear from?
    >
    > I'd like to stick with a Centrino or Pentium 4-M processor. The straight
    > Pentium 4's just draw to much current, things get to hot and battery life
    > suffers.

    Note that Pentium 4-M is not the same as Pentium M. The former is the
    "mobile" version of the desktop chip. It still consumes lots of power and
    makes the fan run a lot in laptops, in my experience. Pentium M (in
    Centrino for example) is the truly mobile CPU. But laptops using it are
    several hundreds of dollars more expensinve (not just because of the CPU, of
    course).

    ....snip...

    > Looking to fork out maybe a few dollars more than $1500. They all for the
    > most part seem to have the options I would like in all of their base
    > systems. ie.. usb, cdrom, parallel port, Li-Ion Battery, 10/100 Eth., PC
    > Card/ PCMCIA. I suppose I don't need a floppy drive anymore. Bootable CD's
    > seem to do pretty much the same thing and hold a hell of a lot more info
    > these days : ) Can't write to it(CD) from a C:\ prompt though, don't
    really
    > see why I would need to though really.

    For storage and data exchange, don't forget about "flash drives"! They look
    like a pack of chewing gum, plug directly into any USB port, and provide
    64-256Mb of data storage. They act just like a drive (a la floppies), as
    far as using them goes. I wouldn't be without one.

Gateway Notebooks Computers