Inexpensive video card Fx5200 vs. 9200SE?

Another post that I placed previously described a computer/monitor
problem that I'm having and the possibility of needing a new video
card. I don't need a high end card at the moment and two choices that
I were looking at were a GeForce FX 5200 128 AGP at $90.00 and Radeon
9200SE 128 for $50.00. I read one review (CNET or PCWorld, I can't
remember) where the GeForce outperformed the Radeon but I was wanting
some real world opinions. I currently run a Dell P3 1.0GHz with 512MB
RAM. I don't do any 3D gaming at the moment, but with a 12 and 10
y.o. that could change at any moment.

Appreciate any input.

"deaconblues" <codetalker@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Another post that I placed previously described a computer/monitor
> problem that I'm having and the possibility of needing a new video
> card. I don't need a high end card at the moment and two choices that
> I were looking at were a GeForce FX 5200 128 AGP at $90.00 and Radeon
> 9200SE 128 for $50.00. I read one review (CNET or PCWorld, I can't
> remember) where the GeForce outperformed the Radeon but I was wanting
> some real world opinions. I currently run a Dell P3 1.0GHz with 512MB
> RAM. I don't do any 3D gaming at the moment, but with a 12 and 10
> y.o. that could change at any moment.
>
> Appreciate any input.

The GF FX5200 is roughly equivalent to the Radeon 9200 (regular), and both
should be priced about the same: in the $90 range. The "SE" versions of
the current ATI products have severely degraded performance compared to the
normal versions. Typically, the SE version is about the speed of the next
lower card.

For your needs, either the FX5200 or the 9200 should do nicely.

--
Dan (Woj...) dmaster at lucent dot com
----------------------------------

The FX5200 is down to $60 on www.pricewatch.com

"deaconblues" <codetalker@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Another post that I placed previously described a computer/monitor
> problem that I'm having and the possibility of needing a new video
> card. I don't need a high end card at the moment and two choices that
> I were looking at were a GeForce FX 5200 128 AGP at $90.00 and Radeon
> 9200SE 128 for $50.00. I read one review (CNET or PCWorld, I can't
> remember) where the GeForce outperformed the Radeon but I was wanting
> some real world opinions. I currently run a Dell P3 1.0GHz with 512MB
> RAM. I don't do any 3D gaming at the moment, but with a 12 and 10
> y.o. that could change at any moment.
>
> Appreciate any input.

TRENDING THREADS