Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

DVD Copier Crashing...

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • DVD
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics Cards
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2004 6:13:53 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

Hi,

Hoping I can find some help here...

I recently installed a dvd burning and am running into some problems.
I have a Celeron 2 Gig processor and 1 Gig of RAM plus ample hard
drive space. Whenever I try to copy a DVD using DVD X Copy or
DVD-Cloner the program almost always crashes leaving me with a nice
collection of fairly expensive drink coasters. When I go to task
manager and check the processing stats while copying I see that the
CPU usage is 100% without let-up. I'm guessing the problem may have
something to do with this. Will a better video card alleviate this?
I'm not even sure what kind of video processing capability this unit
has but since it was originally intended for just word processing, I'm
guessing it's not much.

I totally stumped and wary of asking the crew at Best Buy so any
insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
dh

More about : dvd copier crashing

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2004 3:25:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

Maybe you should invest in a pentium or an Athlon system that was meant for
something other than word processing. With a celeron you can write emails
and perform basic calculator functions. good luck with dvd burning.
Maybe you should build your own system so you know what your system can
handle.


"David Holzmer" <holzmerd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:673b6d76.0405081313.8e625ca@posting.google.com...
> Hi,
>
> Hoping I can find some help here...
>
> I recently installed a dvd burning and am running into some problems.
> I have a Celeron 2 Gig processor and 1 Gig of RAM plus ample hard
> drive space. Whenever I try to copy a DVD using DVD X Copy or
> DVD-Cloner the program almost always crashes leaving me with a nice
> collection of fairly expensive drink coasters. When I go to task
> manager and check the processing stats while copying I see that the
> CPU usage is 100% without let-up. I'm guessing the problem may have
> something to do with this. Will a better video card alleviate this?
> I'm not even sure what kind of video processing capability this unit
> has but since it was originally intended for just word processing, I'm
> guessing it's not much.
>
> I totally stumped and wary of asking the crew at Best Buy so any
> insight would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> dh
May 9, 2004 4:12:37 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

"K. McDermott" <kmcd@cox.net> wrote:

>Maybe you should invest in a pentium or an Athlon system that was meant for
>something other than word processing. With a celeron you can write emails
>and perform basic calculator functions. good luck with dvd burning.
>Maybe you should build your own system so you know what your system can
>handle.
>

You are joking right ?

A 2Gig Celeron is fine for anything at all. With the right Video card it
can play games, do video etc.

The problem the OP relates is almost certainly down to problems with the
copying software he uses.

To the OP I would suggest going to the forums of the DVD copying software
you are using and looking there. I assume that the discs you are trying to
copy are home videos or the like with no copy protection on them. Otherwise
you should be wary of posting to the Internet stating that you are copying
films.

Hope this helps

Andy
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2004 4:12:38 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

Hi,

Thanks so much for the input. I will look at the software. And yes,
the discs in question are homemade videos.

Thanks again,
dh
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2004 4:48:34 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

Are you joking? eat my ass what do you know about computers. the kid wants
to copy dvds and your tellin him to use a celeron lol. good luck he might as
well use an intel 486
poop.

"Andy@nospam.co.uk" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:fo0s90trd9bm8b9pbgj6mml8lcett0plkf@4ax.com...
> "K. McDermott" <kmcd@cox.net> wrote:
>
> >Maybe you should invest in a pentium or an Athlon system that was meant
for
> >something other than word processing. With a celeron you can write emails
> >and perform basic calculator functions. good luck with dvd burning.
> >Maybe you should build your own system so you know what your system can
> >handle.
> >
>
> You are joking right ?
>
> A 2Gig Celeron is fine for anything at all. With the right Video card it
> can play games, do video etc.
>
> The problem the OP relates is almost certainly down to problems with the
> copying software he uses.
>
> To the OP I would suggest going to the forums of the DVD copying software
> you are using and looking there. I assume that the discs you are trying to
> copy are home videos or the like with no copy protection on them.
Otherwise
> you should be wary of posting to the Internet stating that you are copying
> films.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Andy
>
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2004 9:13:53 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

I would look and see what else you have running norton Antivirus can
be offensive sometimes as can other programs. See what you have
running and search for it on line to see if it causes problems with
your software. Also you might try using a program calles shrinkdvd to
make the dvd fit to one disk and nero to burn. Many people backup
their dvds to keep from ruining an overpriced disk. Hope this
helps...


On Sun, 09 May 2004 12:12:37 +0200, "Andy@nospam.co.uk"
<me@privacy.net> wrote:

>"K. McDermott" <kmcd@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>Maybe you should invest in a pentium or an Athlon system that was meant for
>>something other than word processing. With a celeron you can write emails
>>and perform basic calculator functions. good luck with dvd burning.
>>Maybe you should build your own system so you know what your system can
>>handle.
>>
>
>You are joking right ?
>
>A 2Gig Celeron is fine for anything at all. With the right Video card it
>can play games, do video etc.
>
>The problem the OP relates is almost certainly down to problems with the
>copying software he uses.
>
>To the OP I would suggest going to the forums of the DVD copying software
>you are using and looking there. I assume that the discs you are trying to
>copy are home videos or the like with no copy protection on them. Otherwise
>you should be wary of posting to the Internet stating that you are copying
>films.
>
>Hope this helps
>
>Andy
May 10, 2004 12:15:52 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

"K. McDermott" <kmcd@cox.net> wrote:

>Are you joking? eat my ass what do you know about computers. the kid wants
>to copy dvds and your tellin him to use a celeron lol. good luck he might as
>well use an intel 486
>poop.
>

Remind me what uses the CPU cycles in Copying from DVD to DVD ?

By the way a 486 would also work doing copying, not fast but it would work.

This is assuming you have enough RAM and HD space but of course the OP did
say that was not a problem.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2004 12:15:53 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

Andy@nospam.co.uk wrote:

> "K. McDermott" <kmcd@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>Are you joking? eat my ass what do you know about computers. the kid wants
>>to copy dvds and your tellin him to use a celeron lol. good luck he might
>>as well use an intel 486
>>poop.
>>
>
> Remind me what uses the CPU cycles in Copying from DVD to DVD ?

ReRIPping and decompression/recompression. Or has it escaped your notice
that it takes a good deal of computation to squeeze the contents of a 9.4
gig dual-layer commercial DVD into a 4.7 gig single-layer consumer
recordable?

> By the way a 486 would also work doing copying, not fast but it would
> work.
>
> This is assuming you have enough RAM and HD space but of course the OP did
> say that was not a problem.

--
--John
Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2004 4:04:59 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

"Andy@nospam.co.uk" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<fo0s90trd9bm8b9pbgj6mml8lcett0plkf@4ax.com>...
>
> You are joking right ?
>
> A 2Gig Celeron is fine for anything at all. With the right Video card it
> can play games, do video etc.
>
> The problem the OP relates is almost certainly down to problems with the
> copying software he uses.
>
> To the OP I would suggest going to the forums of the DVD copying software
> you are using and looking there. I assume that the discs you are trying to
> copy are home videos or the like with no copy protection on them. Otherwise
> you should be wary of posting to the Internet stating that you are copying
> films.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Andy

I agree with Andy. I experienced similar problems with DVD X Copy.

I'm currently trying out a new program, 123 Copy DVD. It's much easier
to use so far and has successfully copied every DVD I've tried, 10 or
12 of them, including all the extras. It hasn't crashed once so far,
knock on wood. It's annoying to have shelled out the bucks for DVD X
Copy, but at least 123 is only $20.
May 10, 2004 10:03:55 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

"J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>Andy@nospam.co.uk wrote:
>
>> "K. McDermott" <kmcd@cox.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Are you joking? eat my ass what do you know about computers. the kid wants
>>>to copy dvds and your tellin him to use a celeron lol. good luck he might
>>>as well use an intel 486
>>>poop.
>>>
>>
>> Remind me what uses the CPU cycles in Copying from DVD to DVD ?
>
>ReRIPping and decompression/recompression. Or has it escaped your notice
>that it takes a good deal of computation to squeeze the contents of a 9.4
>gig dual-layer commercial DVD into a 4.7 gig single-layer consumer
>recordable?

Given that the OP has already said these are homemade Videos so they will
be from 4.7 to 4.7 and I have been using DVD Shrink and Veritas Record Now
for 3 years on a variety of systems from a PII 400 to my present XP1800 all
of which were slower than a 2Ghz Celeron I do not see your point.

If you are saying a late model Pentium or Athlon will do it faster than an
early model/slower CPU you are indeed correct. This is not the point I made
at the beginning though. A 2Ghz Celeron is fine for any task you could
throw at it with the only problem areas being Brand new Games (GPU/CPU
balance needed) or slow Video Rendering.

End of thread
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2004 7:35:52 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

> ReRIPping and decompression/recompression. Or has it escaped your notice
> that it takes a good deal of computation to squeeze the contents of a 9.4
> gig dual-layer commercial DVD into a 4.7 gig single-layer consumer
> recordable?

decss'ing is cpu light operation. Transcoding is not very cpu intensive
either, Celly 2 will be just fine, we're not talking about hours here.. if
he was re-encoding the mpeg2 video to mpeg4 or similiar activity then more
cpu horsepower would come in handy.

I think you are the one who doesn't seem to know much about computers if you
compare 2 Ghz Celeron to 486..
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2004 7:38:11 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

> I agree with Andy. I experienced similar problems with DVD X Copy.
>
> I'm currently trying out a new program, 123 Copy DVD. It's much easier
> to use so far and has successfully copied every DVD I've tried, 10 or
> 12 of them, including all the extras. It hasn't crashed once so far,
> knock on wood. It's annoying to have shelled out the bucks for DVD X
> Copy, but at least 123 is only $20.

Andy also mentions DVD Shrink, check it out, it is also v. nice piece of
software..
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2004 7:39:27 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

Meant mr. McDermott, not Clarke, who was spot-on. :) 
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 13, 2004 4:01:38 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

"David Holzmer" <holzmerd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:673b6d76.0405081313.8e625ca@posting.google.com...
> Hi,
>
> Hoping I can find some help here...
>
> I recently installed a dvd burning and am running into some problems.
> I have a Celeron 2 Gig processor and 1 Gig of RAM plus ample hard
> drive space. Whenever I try to copy a DVD using DVD X Copy or
> DVD-Cloner the program almost always crashes leaving me with a nice
> collection of fairly expensive drink coasters. When I go to task
> manager and check the processing stats while copying I see that the
> CPU usage is 100% without let-up. I'm guessing the problem may have
> something to do with this. Will a better video card alleviate this?
> I'm not even sure what kind of video processing capability this unit
> has but since it was originally intended for just word processing, I'm
> guessing it's not much.

....

In case you haven't already found a solution...

Have you checked that DMA is enabled for the drive? Often, accessing CPU
usage when creating DVD/CDs can be traced to using PIO rather than DMA
to do the drive accesses.

Good luck.


--
Dan (Woj...) dmaster at lucent dot com
----------------------------------
"I recommend biting off more then you can chew to anyone / I certainly do
I recommend sticking your foot in your mouth at any time / Feel free
Throw it down (the caution blocks you from the wind) / Hold it up (to the
rays)
You wait and see when the smoke clears"