DVD Copier Crashing...

Hi,

Hoping I can find some help here...

I recently installed a dvd burning and am running into some problems.
I have a Celeron 2 Gig processor and 1 Gig of RAM plus ample hard
drive space. Whenever I try to copy a DVD using DVD X Copy or
DVD-Cloner the program almost always crashes leaving me with a nice
collection of fairly expensive drink coasters. When I go to task
manager and check the processing stats while copying I see that the
CPU usage is 100% without let-up. I'm guessing the problem may have
something to do with this. Will a better video card alleviate this?
I'm not even sure what kind of video processing capability this unit
has but since it was originally intended for just word processing, I'm
guessing it's not much.

I totally stumped and wary of asking the crew at Best Buy so any
insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
dh
13 answers Last reply
More about copier crashing

    Maybe you should invest in a pentium or an Athlon system that was meant for
    something other than word processing. With a celeron you can write emails
    and perform basic calculator functions. good luck with dvd burning.
    Maybe you should build your own system so you know what your system can
    handle.

    "K. McDermott" <kmcd@cox.net> wrote:

    >Maybe you should invest in a pentium or an Athlon system that was meant for
    >something other than word processing. With a celeron you can write emails
    >and perform basic calculator functions. good luck with dvd burning.
    >Maybe you should build your own system so you know what your system can
    >handle.

    You are joking right ?

    A 2Gig Celeron is fine for anything at all. With the right Video card it
    can play games, do video etc.

    The problem the OP relates is almost certainly down to problems with the
    copying software he uses.

    To the OP I would suggest going to the forums of the DVD copying software
    you are using and looking there. I assume that the discs you are trying to
    copy are home videos or the like with no copy protection on them. Otherwise
    you should be wary of posting to the Internet stating that you are copying
    films.

    Hope this helps

    Andy
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    Hi,

    Thanks so much for the input. I will look at the software. And yes,
    the discs in question are homemade videos.

    Thanks again,
    dh
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    Are you joking? eat my ass what do you know about computers. the kid wants
    to copy dvds and your tellin him to use a celeron lol. good luck he might as
    well use an intel 486
    poop.

    "Andy@nospam.co.uk" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > "K. McDermott" <kmcd@cox.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Maybe you should invest in a pentium or an Athlon system that was meant
    for
    > >something other than word processing. With a celeron you can write emails
    > >and perform basic calculator functions. good luck with dvd burning.
    > >Maybe you should build your own system so you know what your system can
    > >handle.
    > >

    > You are joking right ?
    >
    > A 2Gig Celeron is fine for anything at all. With the right Video card it
    > can play games, do video etc.
    >
    > The problem the OP relates is almost certainly down to problems with the
    > copying software he uses.
    >
    > To the OP I would suggest going to the forums of the DVD copying software
    > you are using and looking there. I assume that the discs you are trying to
    > copy are home videos or the like with no copy protection on them.
    Otherwise
    > you should be wary of posting to the Internet stating that you are copying
    > films.
    >
    > Hope this helps
    >
    > Andy

  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    I would look and see what else you have running norton Antivirus can
    be offensive sometimes as can other programs. See what you have
    running and search for it on line to see if it causes problems with
    your software. Also you might try using a program calles shrinkdvd to
    make the dvd fit to one disk and nero to burn. Many people backup
    their dvds to keep from ruining an overpriced disk. Hope this
    helps...

    On Sun, 09 May 2004 12:12:37 +0200, "Andy@nospam.co.uk"
    <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    >"K. McDermott" <kmcd@cox.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Maybe you should invest in a pentium or an Athlon system that was meant for
    >>something other than word processing. With a celeron you can write emails
    >>and perform basic calculator functions. good luck with dvd burning.
    >>Maybe you should build your own system so you know what your system can
    >>handle.
    >>

    >You are joking right ?
    >
    >A 2Gig Celeron is fine for anything at all. With the right Video card it
    >can play games, do video etc.
    >
    >The problem the OP relates is almost certainly down to problems with the
    >copying software he uses.
    >
    >To the OP I would suggest going to the forums of the DVD copying software
    >you are using and looking there. I assume that the discs you are trying to
    >copy are home videos or the like with no copy protection on them. Otherwise
    >you should be wary of posting to the Internet stating that you are copying
    >films.
    >
    >Hope this helps
    >
    >Andy
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    "K. McDermott" <kmcd@cox.net> wrote:

    >Are you joking? eat my ass what do you know about computers. the kid wants
    >to copy dvds and your tellin him to use a celeron lol. good luck he might as
    >well use an intel 486
    >poop.

    Remind me what uses the CPU cycles in Copying from DVD to DVD ?

    By the way a 486 would also work doing copying, not fast but it would work.

    This is assuming you have enough RAM and HD space but of course the OP did
    say that was not a problem.
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    Andy@nospam.co.uk wrote:

    > "K. McDermott" <kmcd@cox.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Are you joking? eat my ass what do you know about computers. the kid wants
    >>to copy dvds and your tellin him to use a celeron lol. good luck he might
    >>as well use an intel 486
    >>poop.
    >>

    > Remind me what uses the CPU cycles in Copying from DVD to DVD ?

    ReRIPping and decompression/recompression. Or has it escaped your notice
    that it takes a good deal of computation to squeeze the contents of a 9.4
    gig dual-layer commercial DVD into a 4.7 gig single-layer consumer
    recordable?

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    "Andy@nospam.co.uk" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<fo0s90trd9bm8b9pbgj6mml8lcett0plkf@4ax.com>...

    > You are joking right ?
    >
    > A 2Gig Celeron is fine for anything at all. With the right Video card it
    > can play games, do video etc.
    >
    > The problem the OP relates is almost certainly down to problems with the
    > copying software he uses.
    >
    > To the OP I would suggest going to the forums of the DVD copying software
    > you are using and looking there. I assume that the discs you are trying to
    > copy are home videos or the like with no copy protection on them. Otherwise
    > you should be wary of posting to the Internet stating that you are copying
    > films.
    >
    > Hope this helps
    >
    > Andy

    I agree with Andy. I experienced similar problems with DVD X Copy.

    I'm currently trying out a new program, 123 Copy DVD. It's much easier
    to use so far and has successfully copied every DVD I've tried, 10 or
    12 of them, including all the extras. It hasn't crashed once so far,
    knock on wood. It's annoying to have shelled out the bucks for DVD X
    Copy, but at least 123 is only $20.
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

    >Andy@nospam.co.uk wrote:
    >
    >> "K. McDermott" <kmcd@cox.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Are you joking? eat my ass what do you know about computers. the kid wants
    >>>to copy dvds and your tellin him to use a celeron lol. good luck he might
    >>>as well use an intel 486
    >>>poop.
    >>>

    >> Remind me what uses the CPU cycles in Copying from DVD to DVD ?
    >
    >ReRIPping and decompression/recompression. Or has it escaped your notice
    >that it takes a good deal of computation to squeeze the contents of a 9.4
    >gig dual-layer commercial DVD into a 4.7 gig single-layer consumer
    >recordable?

    Given that the OP has already said these are homemade Videos so they will
    be from 4.7 to 4.7 and I have been using DVD Shrink and Veritas Record Now
    for 3 years on a variety of systems from a PII 400 to my present XP1800 all
    of which were slower than a 2Ghz Celeron I do not see your point.

    If you are saying a late model Pentium or Athlon will do it faster than an
    early model/slower CPU you are indeed correct. This is not the point I made
    at the beginning though. A 2Ghz Celeron is fine for any task you could
    throw at it with the only problem areas being Brand new Games (GPU/CPU
    balance needed) or slow Video Rendering.