Black screen after first restart on fresh install of win 7 ulti x64

thedoodle

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
Hello,

A few weeks ago my harddrive broke down and i had buy a new one and to reinstall Windows 7. Problem is that right after the reinstall and the first reboot i get BSOD. Windows just wont start, just getting a black screen and if you wait long enough the cursor pops up but cant move it. I am right now running win xp and everything works fine but getting annoyed with not being able to use all my RAM and so on. I have been running every single test i can think of to find the cause of this problem.

What i have done so far to exclude possible hardware issues:
memtest without any errors.
checked the harddrive for errors, bad sectors etc.
stresstested the cpu for possible errors. (using Prime95).

System specs:
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 (3.00GHz)
4 gb DDR3 PC3-8500 @ 1066MHz
Asus Nvidia 9800GT
Asus P5Q3 Motherboard
WesternDigital 640Gb hdd

I'm out of ideas on how to solve this and would much appriciate any help.

thedoodle

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
I didnt mention this in the original post but i have tried to install multiple times and the issue persists. I dont see how this could be the problem since it happens many times in succession and with different versions of windows 7 (tried both ultimate and enterprice)but i will have a look in too this nevertheless.

Johan

haseebehsan

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015
What worked for me is that
I deleted the partition in which previous windows was installed and also deleted the partition which was auto generated by previous windows (The Partiotion with 100 MB data).created the new partition using unallocated space and installed windows in it.