laptop -> External monitor?

Archived from groups: alt.computer.drivers.wanted,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.amiga.misc (More info?)

Hi folks,

I was hoping you could help me out with completely transfering display
from my laptop to an external monitor that I've bought.

Windows XP Home Eidtion does not allow me to acheive this from Display
in Control Panel. The details come at the bottom of this email.

Oh, and I will send a follow up to this message if my question gets
answered in another group, so you'd know if it's already answered.

I would like to thank you in advance for your help and taking your
time :p

Amir

P.S.:
Here's more background info about my system:
When I go to the Settings panel in Display Properties, I have from the
drop down menu, two choices:

1. Default Monitor on MOBILITY M6 --> This is definitely not it,
cause it results in the external monitor being ignored

2. Plug and Play Monitor on MOBILITY M6 --> The problem here is: the
first check box which reads "Use this device as the primary monitor"
is totally disabled (and not selected). I only have control over the
second checkbox: "extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor". If I
check this, then my display will be split between the two monitors,
and if I don't, only the laptop works.

Paul

Splendid
Archived from groups: alt.computer.drivers.wanted,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.amiga.misc (More info?)

Set up "extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor".
Click the second monitor, you should now be able to check 'Make this my
primary monitor', then click on monitor 1 and uncheck 'extend...."

This will probably still boot onto your LCD, but should switch to the
external once windows loads up the video drivers/registry settings.

"Amir S." <amirehsans@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi folks,
>
> I was hoping you could help me out with completely transfering display
> from my laptop to an external monitor that I've bought.
>
> Windows XP Home Eidtion does not allow me to acheive this from Display
> in Control Panel. The details come at the bottom of this email.
>
> Oh, and I will send a follow up to this message if my question gets
> answered in another group, so you'd know if it's already answered.
>
> I would like to thank you in advance for your help and taking your
> time :p
>
> Amir
>
> P.S.:
> Here's more background info about my system:
> When I go to the Settings panel in Display Properties, I have from the
> drop down menu, two choices:
>
> 1. Default Monitor on MOBILITY M6 --> This is definitely not it,
> cause it results in the external monitor being ignored
>
> 2. Plug and Play Monitor on MOBILITY M6 --> The problem here is: the
> first check box which reads "Use this device as the primary monitor"
> is totally disabled (and not selected). I only have control over the
> second checkbox: "extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor". If I
> check this, then my display will be split between the two monitors,
> and if I don't, only the laptop works.

Archived from groups: alt.computer.drivers.wanted,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.amiga.misc (More info?)

Well, what you're saying makes sense, the only problem is, no matter
what I do, my "use this device as the primary monitor" is disabled and
cannot be checked. It was disabled origincally... seems like there
could be another place where I have to change the settings?

----------------------------

Dnia 17.05.04, Amir S. wrote:
> Hi folks,

> I was hoping you could help me out with completely transfering
> display from my laptop to an external monitor that I've bought.

RTFM.

--
Lukasz "Valwit" Grupa 687474703A2F2F56616C
http://valwit.net 7796742E6E6574

In article <2c8be71e.0405171428.34f01a50
@posting.google.com>, amirehsans@yahoo.com says...
> Hi folks,
>
> I was hoping you could help me out with completely transfering display
> from my laptop to an external monitor that I've bought.
>
> Windows XP Home Eidtion does not allow me to acheive this from Display
> in Control Panel. The details come at the bottom of this email.
>
> Oh, and I will send a follow up to this message if my question gets
> answered in another group, so you'd know if it's already answered.
>
> I would like to thank you in advance for your help and taking your
> time :p
>
> Amir

Suggestions:

1. Check your BIOS for a setting that controls the
behavior when an external monitor is hooked up during
the boot up. For example, my Toshiba laptop has two
settings "Auto-Selected" and "Simultaneous".

2. Look for a function key along with icons on the F1-
F12 keys. The Toshiba laptops use [Fn-F5] to allow you
to switch between laptop display only, external display
only, or both. Each press of this key-combination will
cycle to the next setting. Compaq laptops used to have
this ability as well.

3. Depending on the quality of the drivers in Windows,
XP may or may not have an easy time of properly
configuring the displays. Do you have the latest video
drivers from the manufacturer's web site?