Monitor/ computer freeze problem

Hi:

My 4 year old Compaq monitor died, so i got an AOC 17 inch
replacement. Now I have 2 recurring problems, one major, one minor.

Major problem.
Once in a while, the monitor will go blank, the green light will turn
to yellow, and the computer will freeze. This happens when I acccess a
webpage, program, video file, etc. Nothing specific. I have all power
saving settings set to never. I Never had this happen with my previous
monitor. Is it my monitor that is causing the problem, or is it my
power supply or graphics card? If it was my graphics card, wouldn't I
NOT be getting any video at all? The video is fine when the computer
isn't doing the above. Nothing gets the computer to unfreeze or the
monitor to not stay blank, so I have to reboot.

I changed my old APC UPS with another, more poweful one, so the
problem is not with brownouts or spikes. Since my origianl purchase of
my system 4 years ago, I added another HD, a CDRW, a USB cable modem
and Klipsch thx speakers. Wondering if my system is underpowered and
this is causing the freeze problems. The last thing I added was the
CDRW which was over a year ago. According to the Compaq specs from
their webpage, the power supply is 250 W. However, when I opened the
computer , I THINK I read that the max power is 145W. There is a grill
blocking some of the writing, and I see some unknown writing followed
by 145W. For the past 4 years, whenver I used to click on the MY
COMPUTER icon, I used to hear a whirring sound from my DVD player. Now
after the new monitor I don't hear anything. Both the DVD and CDRW
still work. Everything works except for the above problem.

I wonder if not enough power could have caused my other monitor to
die?

I hope it isn't a hard drive problem. THe main hard drive is a new one
I got about 1 1/2 years ago. I don't notice any clicking or strange
noises. I once herd that, but that was months ago. Nothing since.

Minor problem.
I have to constantly readjust the vertical and rotation settings after
bootup. The settings will not stick. I reinstalled the latest Nvidia
drivers and installed the AOC drivers from their webpages. Clock runs
fine so I am not sure if this is battery related. The computer was
purchased 4 years ago. Does this indicate a graphics card problem?

I did a dejanews search for the freezing problem, and the few threads
said the power was the problem. No hits on the monitor settings
problem.

I am thinking of buying a more powerful power supply, an Antec True
Power 430. Unless someone can think of another solution? Iam wondering
if a power supply problem caused the other monitor to fail.

Thanks

Your power supply is way too small to drive that hardware. Yes, get the
Antec 430 Watt, before you fry more components.

--
DaveW

On Wed, 19 May 2004 22:59:18 GMT, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:

>Your power supply is way too small to drive that hardware. Yes, get the
>Antec 430 Watt, before you fry more components.

Thanks for the response. Now the followup question: is 430W enough
power? Antec also sells a True550W model for 30 bucks more.But I
wonder how much hotter the inside of the case will be. Now I only have
the fan coming out of the back of the computer, and the fan sticking
atop the Athlon 1Ghz chip.