Help sought making a monitor decision

Greetings,
I have a quandary. I am looking for a 21-22" CRT monitor under $700.
The work I do is programming for 3-D facial animation software. So I
have need for both good text quality (for the long hours of
programming) and good graphics quality (for the animation output). I
just bought a Viewsonic p220f and while the graphics are bright and
vivid, the text is so fuzzy, it's unacceptable. I feel like I'm
reading through a thin layer of gauze. Anyway, I'm sending the p220f
back, and now I need to find a monitor to satisfy my conflicting
needs. Help!

My graphics card is an Nvidia Quadro FX 1100. I'm considering the
following AG monitors:
-Viewsonic p225f
-NEC-Mitsubishi 2070sb
-refurbished NEC-Mitsubishi 2060u (just because I heard the
replacement 2070sb isn't as good)
-HP 1130
-Cornerstone p1750

I am also considering a high quality shadow mask monitor, if only for
the text quality; however, I'm concerned about sacrificing graphics
quality. (Note: I would not choose a shadow mask over AG because of
the two lines on the AG -- they don't bother me.)

Some advice would be greatly appreciated, especially from people using
their monitor for a similar dual function. The most frustrating thing
for me has been the fact that I can't actually look at any of these
monitors in person. I live in Yorktown Heights, NY, and I can't find
any store in my area that has CRT monitors bigger than 19" in stock.
So I have to go by the intangible and often conflicting descriptions
and opinions I find online.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Michael

"M Berger" <berger@speech-graphics.com> wrote in message
> Greetings,
> I have a quandary. I am looking for a 21-22" CRT monitor under $700.
> The work I do is programming for 3-D facial animation software. So I
> have need for both good text quality (for the long hours of
> programming) and good graphics quality (for the animation output). I
> just bought a Viewsonic p220f and while the graphics are bright and
> vivid, the text is so fuzzy, it's unacceptable. I feel like I'm
> reading through a thin layer of gauze. Anyway, I'm sending the p220f
> back, and now I need to find a monitor to satisfy my conflicting
> needs. Help!
>
> My graphics card is an Nvidia Quadro FX 1100. I'm considering the
> following AG monitors:
> -Viewsonic p225f
> -NEC-Mitsubishi 2070sb
> -refurbished NEC-Mitsubishi 2060u (just because I heard the
> replacement 2070sb isn't as good)
> -HP 1130
> -Cornerstone p1750

I would add the HP P1230 to that list. It has the exact same tube and specs
as the P1750 and the DP2070SB but it costs a whole lot less (check
Pricegrabber.com). I don't think it has the USB hub, but that's a non-issue
IMO. I have an NEC FP2141SB (same tube as the 2070) and it is an excellent
monitor.