LCD monitors - prices coming down?

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
Archived from groups: misc.consumers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

LCD monitor prices have been holding pretty steady for a while, but
I've seen a few news articles indicating that they may start coming
down sometime around mid-summer. Any indications on whether it's
worth waiting a couple months or so?

"Steve" <ati@bgt.inv> wrote in message
> LCD monitor prices have been holding pretty steady for a while, but
> I've seen a few news articles indicating that they may start coming
> down sometime around mid-summer. Any indications on whether it's
> worth waiting a couple months or so?

Murphy's Law: No matter how long you wait for the price to come down, it
will still be cheaper the day after you buy it.

"JerryL" <jlevine@adelphia.net> wrote:
>> LCD monitor prices have been holding pretty steady for a while, but
>> I've seen a few news articles indicating that they may start coming
>> down sometime around mid-summer. Any indications on whether it's
>> worth waiting a couple months or so?
>>
>Murphy's Law: No matter how long you wait for the price to come down, it
>will still be cheaper the day after you buy it.

Yeah, I know. But the day after would be ok, it's generally 31 days
after that gets annoying. :)

The 17" LCD monitors have been around $400-500 for quite a while now,
I'm sure the law will require them to drop to $200 the day after....

Archived from groups: misc.consumers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

In article <ika7b09e75a1683rb8j9ir8ge7p7nh1t7s@4ax.com>,
Steve <ati@bgt.inv> wrote:

> LCD monitor prices have been holding pretty steady for a while, but
> I've seen a few news articles indicating that they may start coming
> down sometime around mid-summer. Any indications on whether it's
> worth waiting a couple months or so?

Electronic equipment usually comes down in price for relatively new
technology. As with any piece of computer equipment, if you need the
monitor now, buy it now. If you can wait, then wait.

Howard

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Archived from groups: misc.consumers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

"JerryL" <jlevine@adelphia.net> wrote in news:cI6dnelJGesLMi7dRVn-
jw@adelphia.com:

> Murphy's Law: No matter how long you wait for the price to come down, it
> will still be cheaper the day after you buy it.

Except gas.

Slug

On Tue, 25 May 2004 13:23:50 -0700, Steve <ati@bgt.inv> wrote:

>LCD monitor prices have been holding pretty steady for a while, but
>I've seen a few news articles indicating that they may start coming
>down sometime around mid-summer. Any indications on whether it's
>worth waiting a couple months or so?

Someone posted in another group that 12ms response time LCD's are
about to hit the market so when those are introduced I would expect
the current crop with slower response times to drop in price.

Steve <ati@bgt.inv> wrote:
>LCD monitor prices have been holding pretty steady for a while, but
>I've seen a few news articles indicating that they may start coming
>down sometime around mid-summer. Any indications on whether it's
>worth waiting a couple months or so?

With IT spending up in general, and LCD TVs ramping up quickly, I doubt you'll
see any big reductions in the near term. Manufacturers didn't make much money
in the 15" space, so I'm sure nobody's in a hurry to get into a price war in the
17" and up space.

"Slug" <no@email.here> wrote in message
> On Tue, 25 May 2004 13:23:50 -0700, Steve <ati@bgt.inv> wrote:
>
> >LCD monitor prices have been holding pretty steady for a while, but
> >I've seen a few news articles indicating that they may start coming
> >down sometime around mid-summer. Any indications on whether it's
> >worth waiting a couple months or so?
> >

> Someone posted in another group that 12ms response time LCD's are
> about to hit the market so when those are introduced I would expect
> the current crop with slower response times to drop in price.

History says that isn't very likely. What you MAY find is closeout
specials on "older technology"
units, but the production lines will generally shift wholesale to the faster
material (unless it's done
by "overdrive" technology, which will result in higher prices due to added
parts).

Can't beat 'em, and can't join 'em - just have to live with what's
available, IMHO.

NGA

Archived from groups: misc.consumers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

very likely. the best indicator is that i just bought one!:-(
--
getting out of bed in the morning is an act of false confidence
- jules feifer

Archived from groups: misc.consumers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

You can get some already - look out for reviews on the Samsung Syncmaster
172 X - response times of 12ms and very highly rated - though for a price -
£400 in www.komplett.co.uk and I am sure similar prices in the states...

"Slug" <no@email.here> wrote in message
> On Tue, 25 May 2004 13:23:50 -0700, Steve <ati@bgt.inv> wrote:
>
> >LCD monitor prices have been holding pretty steady for a while, but
> >I've seen a few news articles indicating that they may start coming
> >down sometime around mid-summer. Any indications on whether it's
> >worth waiting a couple months or so?
> >

> Someone posted in another group that 12ms response time LCD's are
> about to hit the market so when those are introduced I would expect
> the current crop with slower response times to drop in price.

Nonymous

Distinguished
May 27, 2004
Archived from groups: misc.consumers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

> > Someone posted in another group that 12ms response time LCD's are
> > about to hit the market so when those are introduced I would expect
> > the current crop with slower response times to drop in price.

I was just reading a thread in another group about this, too. fyi, many
were claiming that the 12ms time comes at the expense of color palette;
i.e., they're only going to have 16bit color at best.

Archived from groups: misc.consumers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

I don't mind that - I also remember reading that it was 16.2 million colours
as opposed to true 16 bit which is 16.7 million colours.

Can many people distinguish between 16, 24 or 32 bit colour ranges??

"Nonymous" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message

> > > Someone posted in another group that 12ms response time LCD's are
> > > about to hit the market so when those are introduced I would expect
> > > the current crop with slower response times to drop in price.
>
> I was just reading a thread in another group about this, too. fyi, many
> were claiming that the 12ms time comes at the expense of color palette;
> i.e., they're only going to have 16bit color at best.

Archived from groups: misc.consumers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

I've been watching the prices for about 2 years and it seems like prices
are fropping about 10% a quarter. The well known brands aren't deopping as
fast as the unkowns. I'm waiting till the nmae brand 19" is well under
$500.00 with at least a 3 yr renewable warranty before I buy .

Hank WD5JFR

b0yce wrote:

> Can many people distinguish between 16, 24 or 32 bit colour ranges??

Yes!!!

I probably couldn't tell 24- from 32-bit, but AFAIK no LCD is remotely
capable of 32-bit colour.

16-bit is easily spotted though, when doing photo work.

--
"Cues 16 thru 82... GO."
Simon Waldman, UK email: swaldman@firecloud.org.uk

Archived from groups: misc.consumers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

"Nonymous" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> I was just reading a thread in another group about this, too. fyi, many
> were claiming that the 12ms time comes at the expense of color palette;
> i.e., they're only going to have 16bit color at best.

I can't speak for all monitors that migh be claiming such a response
time, but there are several techniques available which will permit
12 ms or even faster while still maintaining 8 bits per color or
better.

Bob M.

"Simon Waldman" <swaldman@firecloud.org.uk> wrote in message
> I probably couldn't tell 24- from 32-bit, but AFAIK no LCD is remotely
> capable of 32-bit colour.

Well, technically, there's not going to be anything capable of
"32-bit" color; assuming you want equal dynamic range on
all three channels, your choices would be either 30 bit
(10 bits/primary) or 33 (11 bits/primary). 10-bit drivers
are starting to become available now, although certainly
this level of performance is not yet common in mainstream
products. Even 24 bits (8 per primary) would be more than
adequate, though, IF something more sensible than simple
linear encoding is used.

Bob M.

Bob Myers wrote:

> Well, technically, there's not going to be anything capable of
> "32-bit" color; assuming you want equal dynamic range on
> all three channels, your choices would be either 30 bit
> (10 bits/primary) or 33 (11 bits/primary).

A good point and one which, to my shame, I'd never noticed. So any idea
what Windows display drivers mean when they refer to 32-bit colour?

--
Sometimes a majority only means that all the fools are on the
same side.

Simon Waldman <swaldman@firecloud.org.uk> wrote in message news:<8tmko1-ks8.ln1@blue.firecloud.org.uk>...
> Bob Myers wrote:
>
> > Well, technically, there's not going to be anything capable of
> > "32-bit" color; assuming you want equal dynamic range on
> > all three channels, your choices would be either 30 bit
> > (10 bits/primary) or 33 (11 bits/primary).
>
> A good point and one which, to my shame, I'd never noticed. So any idea
> what Windows display drivers mean when they refer to 32-bit colour?

I believe it's usually 3 8-bit channels stored in 4 bytes; the fourth
byte is sacrificed to maintain 32-bit alignment. Some graphics engines
and drivers may be more efficient in this mode, because it causes all
data accesses to be 32-bit aligned. Some software won't work properly
in 24-bit mode and requires 32-bit mode.

(Because you can sacrifice a bit or so of resolution in the blue
channel, you could conceivably have an 11/11/10-bit RGB in 32 bits,
but I don't know of anybody who does this.)

--
Chris Green

joe smith wrote:
>>A good point and one which, to my shame, I'd never noticed. So any idea
>>what Windows display drivers mean when they refer to 32-bit colour?
>

> 24 bit color and 8 bit used for either padding or alpha, there are various
> hardware related reasons why it is faster to read and write to/from memory
> with chunks which have size multiples of the memory bus width.

Ah, of course. Probably alpha in my case.
Thanks.

--
"People don't ask for facts in making up their minds. They would rather
have one good, soul-satisfying emotion than a dozen facts."
Simon Waldman, UK email: swaldman@firecloud.org.uk

Archived from groups: misc.consumers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

On Thu, 27 May 2004 13:11:40 +0000 (UTC), "b0yce"
<b0yce@.NOSPAM.btinternet.com> wrote:

>You can get some already - look out for reviews on the Samsung Syncmaster
>172 X - response times of 12ms and very highly rated - though for a price -
>£400 in www.komplett.co.uk and I am sure similar prices in the states...

Are these 12ms LCD's 24bit or just 16bit.

Simon Waldman wrote:
> b0yce wrote:
>
>> Can many people distinguish between 16, 24 or 32 bit colour ranges??
>

> Yes!!!
>
> I probably couldn't tell 24- from 32-bit, but AFAIK no LCD is remotely
> capable of 32-bit colour.

??? Explain please. My notebook is running at 1024 x 768 @ 32 bits
My main desktop runs at 1280 x 1024 @ 32
My office desktop runs at 32 bit also (I think 1280 but I'm not sure)

dick

Archived from groups: misc.consumers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

> ??? Explain please. My notebook is running at 1024 x 768 @ 32 bits
> My main desktop runs at 1280 x 1024 @ 32
> My office desktop runs at 32 bit also (I think 1280 but I'm not sure)

The question wasn't can it display the signal but can it display it with all
significant color bits. How many gray levels does your notebook running 1024
x 768 @ 32 bits can display? How many gray levels your desktop running at
1280 x 1024 @ 32 can display? How many gray levels does your office desktop
running at 32 bit also can display?

1024? 256? If less, how many?

Archived from groups: misc.consumers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

I wonder too . I excpected lower laptops/notebooks to be much less
than they are now . I think the cost to make them has been drastically
reduced but the demand is high .

"joe smith" <rapu@ra73727uashduashfh.org> wrote in message
> Alright. 24 bit color has 8 bits per component which means 256 different
> levels of intensity. This is adequate (not enough, IMHO; but adequate.. in
> near future we'll be using floating-point color everywhere but not just
> yet..).

Ummmm...you know of a display technology that
inherently speaks floating-point notation? :)

Bob M.

<nospam4me@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I wonder too . I excpected lower laptops/notebooks to be much less
> than they are now . I think the cost to make them has been drastically
> reduced but the demand is high .

It's a question of supply and demand, with the "supply" side of
the equation controlled by the rate at which new, larger LCD
fabs can come on line. A good number of Gen. 5-7 plants are
in the planning, construction, or start-up phases at present, and
will be brought to full capacity over the next couple of years.
At the moment, though, the industry is still coming out of an
undersupply situation.

Bob M.