'ICE' Number Could Help In an Emergency

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
July 26, 2005 3:44:48 PM

Update to main story…

There is a hoax spreading about how ‘ICE’ allows virus etc. This
is FALSE. See below, information from SNOPES.COM Urban Legends

July 25, 2005

'ICE' Number Could Help In an Emergency

By John Capell and KATU Web Staff
http://www.katu.com/consumernews/story.asp?ID=78608

PORTLAND, Ore. - Did you know there is a simple thing you can do
on your cell phone to help emergency personnel if you are injured
or have some other kind of medical emergency?

It's called 'ICE' and it could help save your life.
____________

Emergencies happen all of the time across the Portland
metropolitan area. This time, the call is for an unconscious
woman on a bike path in southwest Portland.

The woman cannot speak or give the responding medical team
critical details about why she might have fallen, what medications
she might be on or who to contact in an emergency.

"The more information you have about someone and their needs,
obviously you are able to treat that person more effectively,"
says Gary Gray, a paramedic with the Portland Fire Bureau.

Fortunately, in this case, the woman's husband was there to fill
in paramedics on what they needed to know, but what if she had
been alone, or traveling out of town?

'ICE,' which stands for 'In Case of Emergency' may be one answer.

In recent weeks, a growing e-mail movement is encouraging people
to program at least one emergency contact name and number
following the code word 'ICE' in their cell phone. The number
would be one that emergency responders could call of something
happened to you.

"(It's a) good concept," says cell phone user Matilda Rosenberg.
"Sounds like a safe way to alert people."

Parents say 'ICE' is especially good for kids, who might not be
carrying any other form of identification.

Portland EMTs had not heard of the idea until KATU News told them
about it, but say they will be looking for 'ICE' numbers from now
on.

"I think it's a terrific idea," says Lt. Sid Palmer with the
Portland Fire Bureau. "I hope more people get in the movement and
start doing this. I think it will help us provide better care and
to notify family members faster."

Paramedics say programming an 'ICE' number into your cell phone
might turn out to be an important addition to things like medical
alert bracelets and medical ID cards.

There is a hoax spreading about how ICE spreads virus, gives
information to hackers, etc. This is FALSE.

From SNOPES.COM Urban Legends - Home --> Crime --> Crime
Prevention Tips --> In Case of Emergency “ICE’

In Case of Emergency (ICE)

Claim: Paramedic advocates cell phone users store emergency
contact information in their address books, but such entries leave
phones vulnerable to attack.

Paramedic advocates cell phone users store emergency contact
information in their address books: True.

"ICE" entries in stored in cell phones allow viruses to access
those units and drain them of their credits: False.

More at http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/icephone.asp

More about : ice number emergency

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 9:29:28 PM

Oh PLEEZ!
Look, the last thing a EMT or Police Officer needs to do is dig around in
your cell phone (if its still working) playing detective looking for a
contact number.Some of them can be a mess to figure out when time is a major
factor.
The SIMPLE/OLD/ALWAYS WORKS way is to CARRY ID on you. Simply put, have a
LAMINATED card in your wallet,purse,backpack where you carry belongings with
the following information.....
1. FULL Name
2. Address
3. Contact person(s) (Wife,Kid,Uncle,Aunt,Dog...your choice to handle
things)
4. Allergies to medication, pain killer,foods (Important for hospital
stays/treatment on scene)
5. Your personal doctor and contact number
6. Your Health Benefit Provider /Membership number (THIS IS IMPORTANT)
7. ANYTHING that will aid Fire/Police/Sheriff in positively ID'ing you is a
plus.

Print this up on your computer in small print, LAMINATE IT, put it in your
wallet or purse.
When heat sealed in plastic it will withstand water,heat,cold,a moderate
blast,even fire for a while depending on where it is. It will stand up to
things your cellphone doesn't stand a chance at.
Don't bet that your cellphone is going to bail you out. They fail when......
1. Smashed
2. Display broken
3. Battery is dead
4. Password Protected
5. Wet (by water or other liquids)
6. Burned, left out in the sun

This whole "ICE" thing I am sure was the brain child of someone that meant
good, but it's flawed at best.
July 26, 2005 9:29:29 PM

I agree, unfortunatly not all carry a wallet, purse or have a
MedicAlert. This is simple and if it saves a life its worth it.
Though there are much better ways... Btw, I use MedicAlert and once
the EMT's and ER didn't read my braclet when I was unconsious and
treated me wrong. Guess nothing works 100%.

> Oh PLEEZ!
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 11:25:00 PM

"Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik" <DRFafoofnik@rumpledanus.com> wrote in message
> Oh PLEEZ!
> Look, the last thing a EMT or Police Officer needs to do is dig around in
> your cell phone (if its still working) playing detective looking for a
> contact number.Some of them can be a mess to figure out when time is a
> major
> factor.
> The SIMPLE/OLD/ALWAYS WORKS way is to CARRY ID on you. Simply put, have a
> LAMINATED card in your wallet,purse,backpack where you carry belongings
> with
> the following information.....
> 1. FULL Name
> 2. Address
> 3. Contact person(s) (Wife,Kid,Uncle,Aunt,Dog...your choice to handle
> things)
> 4. Allergies to medication, pain killer,foods (Important for hospital
> stays/treatment on scene)
> 5. Your personal doctor and contact number
> 6. Your Health Benefit Provider /Membership number (THIS IS IMPORTANT)
> 7. ANYTHING that will aid Fire/Police/Sheriff in positively ID'ing you is
> plus.
>
> Print this up on your computer in small print, LAMINATE IT, put it in your
> wallet or purse.
> When heat sealed in plastic it will withstand water,heat,cold,a moderate
> blast,even fire for a while depending on where it is. It will stand up to
> things your cellphone doesn't stand a chance at.
> Don't bet that your cellphone is going to bail you out. They fail
> when......
> 1. Smashed
> 2. Display broken
> 3. Battery is dead
> 4. Password Protected
> 5. Wet (by water or other liquids)
> 6. Burned, left out in the sun
>
> This whole "ICE" thing I am sure was the brain child of someone that meant
> good, but it's flawed at best.

I've been a lurker here for a while and I have to jump in on this one. The
ICE plan was started in England and is gaining ground here in the US. It is
being suggested by EMT, fire and police departments. I'm not saying that
having it in your wallet is bad, but ICE is just another way, and for some a
better one.

The following links are submitted for your consideration.
Lane

An article in the Washington Post:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/20...

CBS news