Please Help! (Grey Horizontal Lines on Monitor)

Hi, there
I am using IIyama A902 MT monitor. It was working ok until yesterday,
it started showing grey Horizontal lines which occur as shadow of
text or shadow of any display (like pop up window, dialogue box).
These lines become prominent on light (white) background.

Any idea about this problem and how to fix it?

Thanks,

Fayyaz

==============

Fayyaz:
Ghosting is often caused by bad or weak electrolytic capacitors on
the CRT neck board, especially those near the video amp IC. They
are usually small capacitors in the 1 micro-farad size and in 50
to 160 volts. An ESR meter is useful in helping to find the bad ones.
If these caps check OK, I would check the ones in the horizontal and
vertical sweep sections of the main circuit board.
Hope this helps....
John

"John Gill" <jdgill@juno.com> wrote in message
> Fayyaz:
> Ghosting is often caused by bad or weak electrolytic capacitors on
> the CRT neck board, especially those near the video amp IC. They
> are usually small capacitors in the 1 micro-farad size and in 50
> to 160 volts. An ESR meter is useful in helping to find the bad ones.
> If these caps check OK, I would check the ones in the horizontal and
> vertical sweep sections of the main circuit board.

Before anyone goes tearing into their monitors (not something
I'd recommend unless you're already pretty comfortable
servicing high-voltage equipment), there's a simple way to
distinguish the above problem (which has to do with response
problems and "peaking" in the video amp) from classic "ghosting"
(caused by reflections on the video cable). Just insert an additional
length of video cable into the system (an extension), and see if the
"ghosts" move farther away from the edge that they're ghosting
(which, if the "ghost" IS a reflection, they should - as there will
be a longer path the reflection has to cover before it shows up
on the screen). This can get a little tricky in that the extension may
add ghosts of its own, and the original ghost may now appear
fainter due to the added cable loss - but once you're familiar
with what you're looking for, being able to move the "ghost" in
and out with cable length is an unmistakable sign.

Bob M.

Fayyaz wrote:

> Hi, there
> I am using IIyama A902 MT monitor. It was working ok until
> yesterday, it started showing grey Horizontal lines which occur as
> shadow of text or shadow of any display (like pop up window,
> dialogue box). These lines become prominent on light (white)
> background.
I have developed, suddenly, the same symptoms (with a compaq 1725
monitor). I swapped out the monitor for an older one (a compaq v70),
and the display looks the same. Could it be the video card in the
computer causing the problem, and not the monitor?? [the display was
normal, then the screen flickered, and the grey horizontal bands
showed up - obviously something blew out...]

Bill from Tampa wrote:

> Fayyaz wrote:
>
>> Hi, there
>> I am using IIyama A902 MT monitor. It was working ok until
>> yesterday, it started showing grey Horizontal lines which occur as
>> shadow of text or shadow of any display (like pop up window,
>> dialogue box). These lines become prominent on light (white)
>> background.
> I have developed, suddenly, the same symptoms (with a compaq 1725
> monitor).
Problem solved. The grey horizontal lines or shadows were caused by a
bad video card. I attached the "bad" monitor to an old computer, and
the display was again perfect, with no shadows or grey bars - so I
swapped out the video card in my current computer for a cheap but
upgraded version, and both monitors now work perfectly. So it wasn't
a problem with the monitor(s) at all, but with the video card. YMMV.