books about video

does anyone know of a good book about video, computers, tv-signals, ... It
should be practical and after reading it, i should know what to buy to
watch television and to use as a computer monitor from within my living
room. It's very important for me to understand what factors influence
quality (colors, resolution, signals, ...). i'm using linux, so if a book
has pieces on that topic, that's a plus.

tx
1 answer Last reply
More about books video

    "slurper" <slurper1234@skynet.be> wrote in message
    > does anyone know of a good book about video, computers, tv-signals, ... It
    > should be practical and after reading it, i should know what to buy to
    > watch television and to use as a computer monitor from within my living
    > room. It's very important for me to understand what factors influence
    > quality (colors, resolution, signals, ...). i'm using linux, so if a book
    > has pieces on that topic, that's a plus.

    Well, at the risk of being self-serving here, I would recommend
    my own book, which covers just these topics. It's called
    "Display Interfaces: Fundamentals & Standards," and was
    published a couple of years ago as part of a series put together
    by John Wiley & Sons (the publishers) and the Society for
    Information Display. While it IS part of that series put out by a
    professional society, don't let that scare you - I intentionally kept
    it light on math and strong on basic explanations. I know you
    can find it on Amazon (just search for "Display Interfaces"). I'll
    warn you up front, it may be a little pricey (low-volume technical
    works generally are), but you might also be able to find it at the
    local engineering library if you've got a college with a school of
    engineering nearby.

    Bob M.

Graphics Cards Video Graphics Books