books about video

does anyone know of a good book about video, computers, tv-signals, ... It
should be practical and after reading it, i should know what to buy to
watch television and to use as a computer monitor from within my living
room. It's very important for me to understand what factors influence
quality (colors, resolution, signals, ...). i'm using linux, so if a book
has pieces on that topic, that's a plus.

tx

"slurper" <slurper1234@skynet.be> wrote in message
> does anyone know of a good book about video, computers, tv-signals, ... It
> should be practical and after reading it, i should know what to buy to
> watch television and to use as a computer monitor from within my living
> room. It's very important for me to understand what factors influence
> quality (colors, resolution, signals, ...). i'm using linux, so if a book
> has pieces on that topic, that's a plus.

Well, at the risk of being self-serving here, I would recommend
my own book, which covers just these topics. It's called
"Display Interfaces: Fundamentals & Standards," and was
published a couple of years ago as part of a series put together
by John Wiley & Sons (the publishers) and the Society for
Information Display. While it IS part of that series put out by a
professional society, don't let that scare you - I intentionally kept
it light on math and strong on basic explanations. I know you
can find it on Amazon (just search for "Display Interfaces"). I'll
warn you up front, it may be a little pricey (low-volume technical
works generally are), but you might also be able to find it at the
local engineering library if you've got a college with a school of
engineering nearby.

Bob M.