PCI Express

David

Thinking of buying a new PC and want near real time performance with video.
Using Vegas quite happily and don't want to change to premiere pro although
it has much better hardware support. I believe the new PCI Express setup
coming soon is going to be a major step and allow video editors a choice of
running preferred software without compromise.

Is it advisable to wait? Are systems available soon? Thanks for any
knowledge on this development.

David wrote:

> Thinking of buying a new PC and want near real time performance with
> video. Using Vegas quite happily and don't want to change to premiere pro
> although
> it has much better hardware support. I believe the new PCI Express setup
> coming soon is going to be a major step and allow video editors a choice
> of running preferred software without compromise.
>
> Is it advisable to wait? Are systems available soon? Thanks for any
> knowledge on this development.

If you want to buy _now_ then go with a workstation-class machine with
PCI-X--that hardware is readily available and has at least 4 times the
performance of regular PCI with multiple slots available. The first
generation PCI Express machines aren't going to be much of an improvement
over PCI--they look like most of them will have one available PCI Express
1X and one available 16x slot. Further, it's going to be the first
generation of a new technology, which means that it's going to be bug city
no matter what the advocates tell you.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

PCI Express based motherboards should be out this Fall.

--
DaveW