How to find out the brand of the video card?

Hi,

I get a AGP video card from an "old" machine (2-3 years), i caonnt use the
video card because
the CDROM for the video card is lost, and i do not know the brand of the
card. Can someone tell
me how to detect the card brand so that i can download the driver.

thanks in advance.

henri
9 answers Last reply
More about find brand video card

    henri Zhang wrote:

    > I get a AGP video card from an "old" machine (2-3 years), i caonnt use the
    > video card because
    > the CDROM for the video card is lost, and i do not know the brand of the
    > card. Can someone tell
    > me how to detect the card brand so that i can download the driver.

    I would put the card into one of my WinXP_SP1 machines, boot (via F8)
    into VGA mode and start WinXP. Then I would look for the video card in
    the Windows device manager and in a system tool as Sandra or Everest
    (the de facto successor of Aida32) or PC Wizard 2004.
    If Everest detects the card and its manufacturer, it supplies the link
    for a driver download...

    HTH - Roy

    On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 16:03:59 +0200, "henri Zhang"
    <zhang_ruotao@bonbon.net> put finger to keyboard and composed:

    > I get a AGP video card from an "old" machine (2-3 years), i caonnt use the
    >video card because
    >the CDROM for the video card is lost, and i do not know the brand of the
    >card. Can someone tell
    >me how to detect the card brand so that i can download the driver.

    Use DOS Debug to dump the contents of the video BIOS.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=39fb3d77.168176%40news.ozemail.com.au&output=gplain

    - Franc Zabkar
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    Tell us about any writing on the chips or the card.

    "henri Zhang" <zhang_ruotao@bonbon.net> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I get a AGP video card from an "old" machine (2-3 years), i caonnt use
    the
    > video card because
    > the CDROM for the video card is lost, and i do not know the brand of the
    > card. Can someone tell
    > me how to detect the card brand so that i can download the driver.
    >
    > thanks in advance.
    >
    > henri

  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    There's word "A5PT" on the card.

    i've not yet tried proposition of Roy.

    With method of Franc i fond the words "Rage 128 Pro". It's ATI.

    With XP that i just installed, i do not need a driver, the card
    is recognized as "Rage 128 Pro AGP 4x TMDS".

    But still i need a driver in win98 or winme (i have some
    game running in win98). In site of ATI, i find a the driver
    for Rage 128 Pro for win2000, but when installed it says the
    display adapter is imcompatible ! Strange. Same thing when i
    try the Rage 128 Pro win98 version driver in my Win98 system.

    Any idea?

    henri

    "Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Tell us about any writing on the chips or the card.
    >
    > "henri Zhang" <zhang_ruotao@bonbon.net> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I get a AGP video card from an "old" machine (2-3 years), i caonnt use
    > the
    > > video card because
    > > the CDROM for the video card is lost, and i do not know the brand of the
    > > card. Can someone tell
    > > me how to detect the card brand so that i can download the driver.
    > >
    > > thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > henri

  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    i think other people had same pb too:
    http://forums.devhardware.com/showthread.php?s=1f7dacf6c23a848d9544f0c602d994b5&t=14119

    "henri Zhang" <zhang_ruotao@bonbon.net> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I get a AGP video card from an "old" machine (2-3 years), i caonnt use
    the
    > video card because
    > the CDROM for the video card is lost, and i do not know the brand of the
    > card. Can someone tell
    > me how to detect the card brand so that i can download the driver.
    >
    > thanks in advance.
    >
    > henri

  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    Try contacting ATI's tech support.

    > There's word "A5PT" on the card.
    >
    > i've not yet tried proposition of Roy.
    >
    > With method of Franc i fond the words "Rage 128 Pro". It's ATI.
    >
    > With XP that i just installed, i do not need a driver, the card
    > is recognized as "Rage 128 Pro AGP 4x TMDS".
    >
    > But still i need a driver in win98 or winme (i have some
    > game running in win98). In site of ATI, i find a the driver
    > for Rage 128 Pro for win2000, but when installed it says the
    > display adapter is imcompatible ! Strange. Same thing when i
    > try the Rage 128 Pro win98 version driver in my Win98 system.
    >
    > Any idea?
    >
    > henri
    >
    > "Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > Tell us about any writing on the chips or the card.
    > >
    > > "henri Zhang" <zhang_ruotao@bonbon.net> wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I get a AGP video card from an "old" machine (2-3 years), i caonnt
    use
    > > the
    > > > video card because
    > > > the CDROM for the video card is lost, and i do not know the brand of
    the
    > > > card. Can someone tell
    > > > me how to detect the card brand so that i can download the driver.
    > > >
    > > > thanks in advance.
    > > >
    > > > henri

  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    Try this link

    http://www.ati.com/support/products/pc/rage128pro/winme/rage128prowinmedrivers.html?type=98&prodType=graphic&prod=productsME98driver&submit.x=13&submit.y=5

    > i think other people had same pb too:

    http://forums.devhardware.com/showthread.php?s=1f7dacf6c23a848d9544f0c602d994b5&t=14119

    > "henri Zhang" <zhang_ruotao@bonbon.net> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I get a AGP video card from an "old" machine (2-3 years), i caonnt use
    > the
    > > video card because
    > > the CDROM for the video card is lost, and i do not know the brand of the
    > > card. Can someone tell
    > > me how to detect the card brand so that i can download the driver.
    > >
    > > thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > henri

  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    Try this link
    http://www.ati.com/support/products/pc/rage128pro/winme/rage128prowinmedrivers.html?type=98&prodType=graphic&prod=productsME98driver&submit.x=13&submit.y=5

    "henri Zhang" <zhang_ruotao@bonbon.net> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I get a AGP video card from an "old" machine (2-3 years), i caonnt use
    the
    > video card because
    > the CDROM for the video card is lost, and i do not know the brand of the
    > card. Can someone tell
    > me how to detect the card brand so that i can download the driver.
    >
    > thanks in advance.
    >
    > henri

  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    Finally i use winme instead of win98, and it recognizes this card.
    So Winme and WinXP all recognize the card, my pb is resolved.
    Thanks for all folks giving me ideas.

    henri

    "henri Zhang" <zhang_ruotao@bonbon.net> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I get a AGP video card from an "old" machine (2-3 years), i caonnt use
    the
    > video card because
    > the CDROM for the video card is lost, and i do not know the brand of the
    > card. Can someone tell
    > me how to detect the card brand so that i can download the driver.
    >
    > thanks in advance.
    >
    > henri

Graphics Cards Graphics