How to find out the brand of the video card?

Hi,

I get a AGP video card from an "old" machine (2-3 years), i caonnt use the
video card because
the CDROM for the video card is lost, and i do not know the brand of the
card. Can someone tell
me how to detect the card brand so that i can download the driver.

thanks in advance.

henri

henri Zhang wrote:

> I get a AGP video card from an "old" machine (2-3 years), i caonnt use the
> video card because
> the CDROM for the video card is lost, and i do not know the brand of the
> card. Can someone tell
> me how to detect the card brand so that i can download the driver.

I would put the card into one of my WinXP_SP1 machines, boot (via F8)
into VGA mode and start WinXP. Then I would look for the video card in
the Windows device manager and in a system tool as Sandra or Everest
(the de facto successor of Aida32) or PC Wizard 2004.
If Everest detects the card and its manufacturer, it supplies the link
for a driver download...

HTH - Roy

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 16:03:59 +0200, "henri Zhang"
<zhang_ruotao@bonbon.net> put finger to keyboard and composed:

> I get a AGP video card from an "old" machine (2-3 years), i caonnt use the
>video card because
>the CDROM for the video card is lost, and i do not know the brand of the
>card. Can someone tell
>me how to detect the card brand so that i can download the driver.

Use DOS Debug to dump the contents of the video BIOS.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=39fb3d77.168176%40news.ozemail.com.au&output=gplain

- Franc Zabkar

Tell us about any writing on the chips or the card.

"henri Zhang" <zhang_ruotao@bonbon.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I get a AGP video card from an "old" machine (2-3 years), i caonnt use
the
> video card because
> the CDROM for the video card is lost, and i do not know the brand of the
> card. Can someone tell
> me how to detect the card brand so that i can download the driver.
>
> thanks in advance.
>
> henri

There's word "A5PT" on the card.

i've not yet tried proposition of Roy.

With method of Franc i fond the words "Rage 128 Pro". It's ATI.

With XP that i just installed, i do not need a driver, the card
is recognized as "Rage 128 Pro AGP 4x TMDS".

But still i need a driver in win98 or winme (i have some
game running in win98). In site of ATI, i find a the driver
for Rage 128 Pro for win2000, but when installed it says the
display adapter is imcompatible ! Strange. Same thing when i
try the Rage 128 Pro win98 version driver in my Win98 system.

Any idea?

henri

"Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Tell us about any writing on the chips or the card.
>
> "henri Zhang" <zhang_ruotao@bonbon.net> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I get a AGP video card from an "old" machine (2-3 years), i caonnt use
> the
> > video card because
> > the CDROM for the video card is lost, and i do not know the brand of the
> > card. Can someone tell
> > me how to detect the card brand so that i can download the driver.
> >
> > thanks in advance.
> >
> > henri

i think other people had same pb too:
http://forums.devhardware.com/showthread.php?s=1f7dacf6c23a848d9544f0c602d994b5&t=14119

"henri Zhang" <zhang_ruotao@bonbon.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I get a AGP video card from an "old" machine (2-3 years), i caonnt use
the
> video card because
> the CDROM for the video card is lost, and i do not know the brand of the
> card. Can someone tell
> me how to detect the card brand so that i can download the driver.
>
> thanks in advance.
>
> henri

Try contacting ATI's tech support.

> There's word "A5PT" on the card.
>
> i've not yet tried proposition of Roy.
>
> With method of Franc i fond the words "Rage 128 Pro". It's ATI.
>
> With XP that i just installed, i do not need a driver, the card
> is recognized as "Rage 128 Pro AGP 4x TMDS".
>
> But still i need a driver in win98 or winme (i have some
> game running in win98). In site of ATI, i find a the driver
> for Rage 128 Pro for win2000, but when installed it says the
> display adapter is imcompatible ! Strange. Same thing when i
> try the Rage 128 Pro win98 version driver in my Win98 system.
>
> Any idea?
>
> henri
>
> "Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Tell us about any writing on the chips or the card.
> >
> > "henri Zhang" <zhang_ruotao@bonbon.net> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I get a AGP video card from an "old" machine (2-3 years), i caonnt
use
> > the
> > > video card because
> > > the CDROM for the video card is lost, and i do not know the brand of
the
> > > card. Can someone tell
> > > me how to detect the card brand so that i can download the driver.
> > >
> > > thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > henri

Try this link

http://www.ati.com/support/products/pc/rage128pro/winme/rage128prowinmedrivers.html?type=98&prodType=graphic&prod=productsME98driver&submit.x=13&submit.y=5

> i think other people had same pb too:

http://forums.devhardware.com/showthread.php?s=1f7dacf6c23a848d9544f0c602d994b5&t=14119

> "henri Zhang" <zhang_ruotao@bonbon.net> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I get a AGP video card from an "old" machine (2-3 years), i caonnt use
> the
> > video card because
> > the CDROM for the video card is lost, and i do not know the brand of the
> > card. Can someone tell
> > me how to detect the card brand so that i can download the driver.
> >
> > thanks in advance.
> >
> > henri

Try this link
http://www.ati.com/support/products/pc/rage128pro/winme/rage128prowinmedrivers.html?type=98&prodType=graphic&prod=productsME98driver&submit.x=13&submit.y=5

"henri Zhang" <zhang_ruotao@bonbon.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I get a AGP video card from an "old" machine (2-3 years), i caonnt use
the
> video card because
> the CDROM for the video card is lost, and i do not know the brand of the
> card. Can someone tell
> me how to detect the card brand so that i can download the driver.
>
> thanks in advance.
>
> henri

Finally i use winme instead of win98, and it recognizes this card.
So Winme and WinXP all recognize the card, my pb is resolved.
Thanks for all folks giving me ideas.

henri