Sapphire Radeon 9550 128MB DDR -- Not as fast as the model..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2004 12:49:33 AM

Disappointing. This card gives a standard 3Dmark2001SE score of only 6215
compared to the Radeon 9200 (a repackaged Radeon 8500) score of 5789. So
for the £20 ($36) extra you get a slightly higher performance, double the
amount of memory, DirectX 9 support, and a small fan with a blue LED light.

Even when overclocked to the Radeon 9600 stock speed of 325MHz core and
400MHz memory and a 10% increased FSB you only get a 3Dmark2001SE score of
7563 with this card. The board does remain stable (at least for one day) at
this speed however.

You do not get a manual with this package and there is no 9550 manual on the
enclosed CD-ROM.

I continue on my quest to find a good quality, higher performance, mid-range
3D graphics card. Neither nVidia nor ATI offer a card at the £50-£60
($90-110) price point that improves dramatically on my present choice of
Sapphire Radeon 9200 with 64Mb DDR for only £36 inc VAT ($65).

This card/chip has been created by marketing not by design. Avoid.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 27, 2004 9:46:50 PM

"Jonathan Eales" <Jon.Eales@Virgin.net> wrote in

> Disappointing. This card gives a standard 3Dmark2001SE score of only
> 6215 compared to the Radeon 9200 (a repackaged Radeon 8500) score of
> 5789. So for the £20 ($36) extra you get a slightly higher
> performance, double the amount of memory, DirectX 9 support, and a
> small fan with a blue LED light.
>

> Even when overclocked to the Radeon 9600 stock speed of 325MHz core
> and 400MHz memory and a 10% increased FSB you only get a 3Dmark2001SE
> score of 7563 with this card. The board does remain stable (at least
> for one day) at this speed however.
>

> You do not get a manual with this package and there is no 9550 manual
> on the enclosed CD-ROM.
>

> I continue on my quest to find a good quality, higher performance,
> mid-range 3D graphics card. Neither nVidia nor ATI offer a card at
> the £50-£60 ($90-110) price point that improves dramatically on my
> present choice of Sapphire Radeon 9200 with 64Mb DDR for only £36 inc
> VAT ($65).
>

> This card/chip has been created by marketing not by design. Avoid.

This card is a bargain imo, I got an oem Sapphire 9550 the heatsink without
fan, I flashed the Sapphire 9600 Samsung memory bios into it and it works
fine for over a week now. The Samsung TC-50 DDR can be overclock to slighly
over 250 and the core I can get to above 400 but since I don't have a fan
on it, I slowed down to 360/240 while playing 3D games and leave it at
stock 9600 speed (325/200) in 2D. BTW this is one hell of a overclocker
for the price ( I paid $120 Canadian tax included) and if you are going to
do it, flash it to a 9600 bios, I found you can overclock more with a 9600
bios than a 9550 bios (my core could go higher than 400 with 9550 bios but
now still going at 410), Please make sure the bios you are going to flash
has the same memory (and manufacture if possible but that is not necessary)
I tried a few myself and settle with the Sappire 9600 Samsung bios and it
has been working fine for 7 days now, at least 4 hours per day of
Battlefield 1942 at 360/240

You can find bios at http://softmod.ocfaq.com/bios.php
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 27, 2004 9:50:46 PM

Follow up to above post, I meant I couldn't go above 400 on the core with
9550 bios and fwiw the 9550 uses the same core as the 9600 and 9600pro
!