  • Modem
  • Computers
Last response: in Computer Brands
September 16, 2004 6:50:13 PM

Last night I was working and my dialup modem connection dropped off so I
put the machine in standby and quit my web work.
This morning I get the machine up and try to make a connection to my ISP
and get a 680 error..no dial tone. I unplug and replug my phone line
into the port..same error. I restart machine and same error. I try my
phone to see if I have dial tone...no dial tone on any of my phones. I
unplug phone line from laptop...all my phones REGAIN dial tones. AHA...a
clue!

Run modem troubleshooting wizard...all ok. Query modem...all ok
Changed phone line wire...same error
View modem log...all ok but a no dial tone message logged.
I hear no modem sounds at all...even with modem sound on high

I think telephone line-in port has shorted out or something like that.
Any ideas?

Nothing has happened or been changed on the laptop in many months. The
machine has been running flawlessly for a year..
No viruses etc found either.

More about : 450x port problem

Anonymous
September 18, 2004 7:19:19 PM

Sounds like it could be the modem on the laptop, but I'd try some other
things first.
Uninstall and reinstall the drivers for the modem. I'd also check the
dialing properties for your internet connection - see if there is anything
additional that is being dialed (*70 to disable call waiting, etc.) and
maybe take that out to test.
Take the system to another location - neighbors house, friends house... -
and see what it does there.
Just some things to check before sending it in for service...
Good luck.
Jeff S.

!