Question about Gateway OEM WinME software

Due to choosing the wrong repair shop, I have just been delivered a
non-working Performance 1500 system and a $175 data recovery disk. Due
to this company keeping my computer for 2 1/2 weeks, and putting their
phones on voice mail, I was forced to go out and buy a new machine[with
XP of course], before I heard from them again.

When it left it had a software problem; when they finally called me
back, after 3 promised failed deliveries... it had developed a hard
drive failure. Enough of that, I'm miserable that I don't have a
partitioned WinMe and Linux computer, but I'll get over it, I guess.

I want to put one of my MSPLUS programs on my new eMachine, and this is
my question [for now]. Can I put my Plus disk for Win95 on XP, or the
Plus program that is *somewhere* in my disks from Gateway for WinME?

If I can use the the one for WinME[and not 95], can anyone tell me which
of those installation disks it is on? And IS IT simple to install from
that type of disk?

Another question, does the 3 beeps my system acquired while gone, mean
failed hard drive? Thanks for helping this ole woman through the fog...
anyone who has the time.

Barbara

Three beeps usually does not mean a failed hard drive. If the system fails to
display anything on the monitor screen, three beeps indicates something else
wrong, usually in the area of the motherboard or the memory.

For the typical Intel-made Pentium 4 motherboard used by Gateway, three
consecutive beeps indicates a failure in the first 64KB of memory. In other
words, something is not right with the memory in your system. At this point,
contact the "wrong" repair shop, ask them why your computer is beeping with
three beeps rather than booting up, and ask them what they will do AT NO CHARGE
to fix the problem, which (I am assuming) your computer did not have when it
went to their shop. Then ask them if they ran memory diagnostics, what the
results were, and whether or not they opened up the chassis and did anything
with the memory.

A "software" problem CAN often be the result of a hardware problem, which is why
I routinely run hardware diagnostics when I take computers in for repair or do
on-site work for clients.

If the "wrong" repair shop is unwilling to get your computer in bootable
condition free of charge, tell them you will contact the local BBB and your
state attorney general's office, and possibly file a claim for a full refund in
small claims court.

Form what you described, this does sound like the computer repair shop from
hell... Ben Myers

Ben Myers wrote:

> Three beeps usually does not mean a failed hard drive. If the system fails to
> display anything on the monitor screen, three beeps indicates something else
> wrong, usually in the area of the motherboard or the memory.
>
> For the typical Intel-made Pentium 4 motherboard used by Gateway, three
> consecutive beeps indicates a failure in the first 64KB of memory. In other
> words, something is not right with the memory in your system. At this point,
> contact the "wrong" repair shop, ask them why your computer is beeping with
> three beeps rather than booting up, and ask them what they will do AT NO CHARGE
> to fix the problem, which (I am assuming) your computer did not have when it
> went to their shop. Then ask them if they ran memory diagnostics, what the
> results were, and whether or not they opened up the chassis and did anything
> with the memory.

They wanted to put a 120 GB hard drive on it to fix it, which it did NOT
need when they picked it up... that was their solution; plus my WinME
original restoration disks... were *supposedly* damaged, but they would
load Win2000 free for me. They quoted so much to me in their sales
pitch I forgot what they wanted for the hard drive.
[The tech did NOT want to reinstall WinMe for me, from the beginning. I
had asked for the drive to be partitioned for Linux and WinME.]

I asked them how they thought they could deliver my pc to me on 3
earlier occasions, yet now it had all these new problems? She said she
thought someone had called and told me, but they had a lightning problem
that had knocked out their power, and they were out of business for a
week. I couldn't get past her to a tech or an owner, so I gave up.

> A "software" problem CAN often be the result of a hardware problem, which is why
> I routinely run hardware diagnostics when I take computers in for repair or do
> on-site work for clients.
>
> If the "wrong" repair shop is unwilling to get your computer in bootable
> condition free of charge, tell them you will contact the local BBB and your
> state attorney general's office, and possibly file a claim for a full refund in
> small claims court.
>
> Form what you described, this does sound like the computer repair shop from
> hell... Ben Myers

I think they are, Ben, and when I have cooled off about it, I plan to
BBB copied. People really should be warned about businesses like this.
Thanks for your response.
bj

> On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 16:34:34 -0400, chicagofan <me7@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>>Due to choosing the wrong repair shop, I have just been delivered a
>>non-working Performance 1500 system and a $175 data recovery disk. Due
>>to this company keeping my computer for 2 1/2 weeks, and putting their
>>phones on voice mail, I was forced to go out and buy a new machine[with
>>XP of course], before I heard from them again.
>>
>>When it left it had a software problem; when they finally called me
>>back, after 3 promised failed deliveries... it had developed a hard
>>drive failure. Enough of that, I'm miserable that I don't have a
>>partitioned WinMe and Linux computer, but I'll get over it, I guess.
>>
>>I want to put one of my MSPLUS programs on my new eMachine, and this is
>>my question [for now]. Can I put my Plus disk for Win95 on XP, or the
>>Plus program that is *somewhere* in my disks from Gateway for WinME?
>>
>>If I can use the the one for WinME[and not 95], can anyone tell me which
>>of those installation disks it is on? And IS IT simple to install from
>>that type of disk?
>>
>>Another question, does the 3 beeps my system acquired while gone, mean
>>failed hard drive? Thanks for helping this ole woman through the fog...
>>anyone who has the time.
>>
>>Barbara

If the computer was damaged by a lightning storm while in their custody (their
story), the shop owes you a repair/replacement of whatever parts were damaged by
the storm. The shop was negligent in not taking necessary precautions to
protect the computer, same as if you lent your car to someone and they wrecked
it... Ben Myers

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 12:28:34 -0400, chicagofan <me7@privacy.net> wrote:

> [...]
>>>XP of course], before I heard from them again.
>>>
>>>When it left it had a software problem; when they finally called me
>>>back, after 3 promised failed deliveries... it had developed a hard
>>>drive failure. Enough of that, I'm miserable that I don't have a
>>>partitioned WinMe and Linux computer, but I'll get over it, I guess.
>>>
>>>I want to put one of my MSPLUS programs on my new eMachine, and this is
>>>my question [for now]. Can I put my Plus disk for Win95 on XP, or the
>>>Plus program that is *somewhere* in my disks from Gateway for WinME?
>>>
>>>If I can use the the one for WinME[and not 95], can anyone tell me which
>>>of those installation disks it is on? And IS IT simple to install from
>>>that type of disk?
>>>
>>>Another question, does the 3 beeps my system acquired while gone, mean
>>>failed hard drive? Thanks for helping this ole woman through the fog...

Does anyone have the answers to these questions posted earlier? Can the
OEM restore disks for WinME not be used on an XP machine to install this
one program? Thanks for any replies... I really have looked elsewhere.
bj

>> I want to put one of my MSPLUS programs on my new eMachine, and
>> this is my question... Can I put my MSPlus disk for Win95 on XP,
>> OR the MSPLUS program that is *somewhere* in my disks from Gateway
>> for WinME?
>>
>> If I can use the the one for WinME[and not 95], can anyone tell me
>> which of those installation disks it is on? And IS IT simple to
>> install from that type of disk?
>>
>> Barbara

Hippie

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2004

Why? What's on MSPLUS that you need? Themes??

hippie

HipPiE wrote:

> Why? What's on MSPLUS that you need? Themes??
>
> hippie

Yes.. my latest system has none... and having 2 previous versions of
MSPlus, I was hoping I could load one of them.
bj