GPS for VX4400 like VX6000?

I've read posts that claim you can get Lat/Lon read back with a VX6000
as follows:

"...the commands:
Meno > 0 >000000 > 2 > 6 > 2 change to 922 > ok
while in that menu, 5 > 5 > turn off > ok > Clear
Also: 1 > turn on > ok
Also: 4
Wait for it to start up, then get out of the menu by pressing END
Now dial 922 > send

You will hear a weird sound/beeping noise. Just wait, it should say "GPS
started" or something like that on your phone. After a couple seconds it
will show you your longitude and latitude."

Can this work with the VX4400 as well? If not, what changes would you
suggest?
-JM

In news:pqRFe.7223$S72.349@trndny06,
no*spam <omitsgmomit@omitvenue1omit.comomit> typed:
> I've read posts that claim you can get Lat/Lon read back with a VX6000
> as follows:
>
> "...the commands:
> Meno > 0 >000000 > 2 > 6 > 2 change to 922 > ok
> while in that menu, 5 > 5 > turn off > ok > Clear
> Also: 1 > turn on > ok
> Also: 4
> Wait for it to start up, then get out of the menu by pressing END
> Now dial 922 > send
>
> You will hear a weird sound/beeping noise. Just wait, it should say
> "GPS started" or something like that on your phone. After a couple
> seconds it will show you your longitude and latitude."
>
> Can this work with the VX4400 as well? If not, what changes would you
> suggest?
> -JM

Here is a way to get gps coordinates of a LG VX4400 cell phone's position.

Make sure the phone is enabled to use the GPS function, not just the E911
function.
Go To Menu
Settings [8]
Change Location [8] to Location On
Press end to clear out back to the start screen

Go To Menu -> 0
Service Code -> 000000
Go To Field Tests [2]

Go To gpsOne [6]
Change gpsOne Test Screen [2] to on.
Change Test Num [4] to 922

Go To Setting [4]
Modify the settings by changing:
transport type [3] to DBM
lock status [4] to off
test mode [5] to off
sample count [6] to 1

Press end to clear out back to the start screen

Press 922 then SEND. Some gibberish will start coming out of the phone.
Stay on the line and the Longitude and Latitude coordinates will be
displayed on the screen.

IMHO IIRC wrote:

> In news:pqRFe.7223$S72.349@trndny06,
> no*spam <omitsgmomit@omitvenue1omit.comomit> typed:
>
>>I've read posts that claim you can get Lat/Lon read back with a VX6000
>>as follows:
>>
>>"...the commands:
>>Meno > 0 >000000 > 2 > 6 > 2 change to 922 > ok
>>while in that menu, 5 > 5 > turn off > ok > Clear
>>Also: 1 > turn on > ok
>>Also: 4
>>Wait for it to start up, then get out of the menu by pressing END
>>Now dial 922 > send
>>
>>You will hear a weird sound/beeping noise. Just wait, it should say
>>"GPS started" or something like that on your phone. After a couple
>>seconds it will show you your longitude and latitude."
>>
>>Can this work with the VX4400 as well? If not, what changes would you
>>suggest?
>>-JM
>

> Here is a way to get gps coordinates of a LG VX4400 cell phone's position.
>
> Make sure the phone is enabled to use the GPS function, not just the E911
> function.
> Go To Menu
> Settings [8]
> Change Location [8] to Location On
> Press end to clear out back to the start screen
>
> Go To Menu -> 0
> Service Code -> 000000
> Go To Field Tests [2]
>
> Go To gpsOne [6]
> Change gpsOne Test Screen [2] to on.
> Change Test Num [4] to 922
>
> Go To Setting [4]
> Modify the settings by changing:
> transport type [3] to DBM
> lock status [4] to off
> test mode [5] to off
> sample count [6] to 1
>
> Press end to clear out back to the start screen
>
> Press 922 then SEND. Some gibberish will start coming out of the phone.
> Stay on the line and the Longitude and Latitude coordinates will be
> displayed on the screen.

I tried it. It works, but the accuracy is lousy. I tried it twice. It
was off over 4 miles 1 time, 3 miles the second time and the 2 points
were over 6 miles apart. I hope that if I have to call 911, they can
pinpoint me better than that!

rg

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 17:35:15 GMT, Patrick Donnelly
<Nospampdonnell@northnet.org> wrote:

>IMHO IIRC wrote:
>>
>> In news:pqRFe.7223$S72.349@trndny06,
>> no*spam <omitsgmomit@omitvenue1omit.comomit> typed:
>>
>>>I've read posts that claim you can get Lat/Lon read back with a VX6000
>>>as follows:
>>>
>>>"...the commands:
>>>Meno > 0 >000000 > 2 > 6 > 2 change to 922 > ok
>>>while in that menu, 5 > 5 > turn off > ok > Clear
>>>Also: 1 > turn on > ok
>>>Also: 4
>>>Wait for it to start up, then get out of the menu by pressing END
>>>Now dial 922 > send
>>>
>>>You will hear a weird sound/beeping noise. Just wait, it should say
>>>"GPS started" or something like that on your phone. After a couple
>>>seconds it will show you your longitude and latitude."
>>>
>>>Can this work with the VX4400 as well? If not, what changes would you
>>>suggest?
>>>-JM
>>

>> Here is a way to get gps coordinates of a LG VX4400 cell phone's position.
>>
>> Make sure the phone is enabled to use the GPS function, not just the E911
>> function.
>> Go To Menu
>> Settings [8]
>> Change Location [8] to Location On
>> Press end to clear out back to the start screen
>>
>> Go To Menu -> 0
>> Service Code -> 000000
>> Go To Field Tests [2]
>>
>> Go To gpsOne [6]
>> Change gpsOne Test Screen [2] to on.
>> Change Test Num [4] to 922
>>
>> Go To Setting [4]
>> Modify the settings by changing:
>> transport type [3] to DBM
>> lock status [4] to off
>> test mode [5] to off
>> sample count [6] to 1
>>
>> Press end to clear out back to the start screen
>>
>> Press 922 then SEND. Some gibberish will start coming out of the phone.
>> Stay on the line and the Longitude and Latitude coordinates will be
>> displayed on the screen.
>>

>I tried it. It works, but the accuracy is lousy. I tried it twice. It
>was off over 4 miles 1 time, 3 miles the second time and the 2 points
>were over 6 miles apart. I hope that if I have to call 911, they can
>pinpoint me better than that!

It might be off intentionally. Some if not all GPS Sat's. are controlled by
the government and since 911 they have been set to not give accurate
information for security reasons.

In news:42eaa116$1_2@spool9-west.superfeed.net,
Wayne Farmer <usenet@endymionsystems.com> typed:
> "IMHO IIRC" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>
>> In news:pqRFe.7223$S72.349@trndny06,
>> no*spam <omitsgmomit@omitvenue1omit.comomit> typed:
>>> I've read posts that claim you can get Lat/Lon read back with a
>>> VX6000 as follows:
>>>
>>> "...the commands:
>>> Meno > 0 >000000 > 2 > 6 > 2 change to 922 > ok
>>> while in that menu, 5 > 5 > turn off > ok > Clear
>>> Also: 1 > turn on > ok
>>> Also: 4
>>> Wait for it to start up, then get out of the menu by pressing END
>>> Now dial 922 > send
>>>
>>> You will hear a weird sound/beeping noise. Just wait, it should say
>>> "GPS started" or something like that on your phone. After a couple
>>> seconds it will show you your longitude and latitude."
>>>
>>> Can this work with the VX4400 as well? If not, what changes would
>>> you suggest?
>>> -JM
>>

>> Here is a way to get gps coordinates of a LG VX4400 cell phone's
>> position.
>>
>> Make sure the phone is enabled to use the GPS function, not just the
>> E911 function.
>> Go To Menu
>> Settings [8]
>> Change Location [8] to Location On
>> Press end to clear out back to the start screen
>>
>> Go To Menu -> 0
>> Service Code -> 000000
>> Go To Field Tests [2]
>>
>> Go To gpsOne [6]
>> Change gpsOne Test Screen [2] to on.
>> Change Test Num [4] to 922
>>
>> Go To Setting [4]
>> Modify the settings by changing:
>> transport type [3] to DBM
>> lock status [4] to off
>> test mode [5] to off
>> sample count [6] to 1
>>
>> Press end to clear out back to the start screen
>>
>> Press 922 then SEND. Some gibberish will start coming out of the
>> phone. Stay on the line and the Longitude and Latitude coordinates
>> will be displayed on the screen.
>
> "Some gibberish", indeed. I tried the above on my LG VX4400 in
> southwest
> Virginia and was surprised to hear the 911 dispatcher answer! I
> apologized
> to the dispatcher and hung up. (Yes, the coordinates did display on
> the
> screen, and they were accurate.)
>
> My advice: don't try the above, or you may find a police officer
> coming to
> your door to investigate why you called 911 and then hung up the
> phone.

> News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
> World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms -
> Total Privacy via Encryption =----

I forgot to mention that in there a few areas you will get 911.

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 15:48:16 -0400, rg <replyingroup@invalid.com> wrote:

[snip]

>>> Press 922 then SEND. Some gibberish will start coming out of the phone.
>>> Stay on the line and the Longitude and Latitude coordinates will be
>>> displayed on the screen.
>>>

>>I tried it. It works, but the accuracy is lousy. I tried it twice. It
>>was off over 4 miles 1 time, 3 miles the second time and the 2 points
>>were over 6 miles apart. I hope that if I have to call 911, they can
>>pinpoint me better than that!
>

>It might be off intentionally. Some if not all GPS Sat's. are controlled by
>the government and since 911 they have been set to not give accurate
>information for security reasons.

Not true. All of the GPS satellites are controlled by the U.S. but Selective
Availability (SA) has been off since during the Clinton administration. The
military can turn it on whenever they chose for tactical reasons but right now
I can get a GPS fix (using a real GPS receiver) accurate to within 16 feet.

--
Russ Panneton pannetron@hotmail.com
Nederland, CO "Too bad ignorance isn't painful"