Plans :Am I being screwed?

I have The America's Choice Family Share Plan with:

400 anythime, unlimited nites and weekends and 1000 Natl. Share In Net cal
min (whatever that is).

I have 4 phones:

The primary is $39.99
the other 3 are $20.00 each..

I usually come close to using the 400 minutes but have only gone over a
couple of times.

Is there a better plan for me?

I have been looking at Verizonwireless.com for hours and between that and
the flyer in the monthly bill I am totally confused :(

Sponge
24 answers Last reply
More about plans screwed

    Sponge <le_yam@yahoo.com> wrote in news:khSFe.1288$7Q1.713@fe09.lga:

    > Is there a better plan for me?

    Sure. Which carriers cover your area besides VZW? Most all of them have
    better plans than being FORCED into this low-minutes national plan most
    cellular users have no need for.

    Think about how far you've traveled in the last 6 months. Will a one or
    two state coverage cover this area for you? If not, how often do you
    travel that far away? Would you be better off with a 2-state plan that
    gave you twice as many minutes, like Verizon used to do, for you to share
    between the phones?

    Who else do you often call to their cellphone? What company are they with?
    Most companues now let you call other customers for free, anytime. If you
    call them very often, it may be to your advantage to get on their company's
    system and call for free. Believe it or not, not every cellphone is on
    Verizon!..(c;

    I was on Verizon...GTE before that...Cellular one before that...since they
    had two towers on AMPS. I got a better deal on Alltel, here in the South.
    800 minutes across SC, NC, the SC side of Georgia/TN/VA near NC for $39.
    Unlimited N/W, free LD, all the usual toys. I have no contract. The plan
    was for 700, then Alltel sent me a letter telling me to call this 888
    number for another free lifetime 100 minutes forever, just to show they
    appreciate my business. The Alltel system here is AMPS/CDMA and is even
    more mature than what Verizon bought up. A-800 upstate, B-800 along the
    coast of SC. Verizon is a hodgepodge of A-800 and a little PCS up in
    Myrtle Beach because they didn't service Myrtle Beach, at all, until
    someone sold them this little PCS company. When I go to Florida, or
    anywhere across the country, which is quite infrequently, Alltel sells me
    100 minutes of nationwide service for $10, no roaming. If I use that up,
    they sell me another 100 minute block for $10 more....not the $297 roaming
    fees Verizon charged me from their LDC plan back when. If I don't travel
    out of SC/NC area, I don't pay with half minutes for areas I'm not going to
    use. It just works better...cheaper.

    I'm sure you can also fine a better deal if you shop around your area like
    this. Now that you can take your phone number with you, why not? Alltel
    doesn't charge me $15 for an office visit, either!....well, yet.

    --
    Larry

    I think that the current rate for Family Plan is $59.95 for the first 2
    phones and $9.95 for each additional phone and you get 500 anytime minutes
    with unlimited nites & weekends and unlimited IN-Calling (calling other
    Verizon cell phones).

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:02:53 GMT, "Tom Hruska" <tom.hruska@verizon.net>
    wrote:

    >I think that the current rate for Family Plan is $59.95 for the first 2
    >phones and $9.95 for each additional phone and you get 500 anytime minutes
    >with unlimited nites & weekends and unlimited IN-Calling (calling other
    >Verizon cell phones).

    The current plan is now $69.95 for 700 minutes 2 lines and still $9.95 for
    additional phones.

    It's always nice to see VZW decide for you what you want.

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 19:35:59 -0400, Larry wrote:

    > Sure. Which carriers cover your area besides VZW? Most all of them have
    > better plans than being FORCED into this low-minutes national plan most
    > cellular users have no need for.

    I'm in NY near NYC so I get most of the popular ones ie:
    Nextel, Sprint, ATT etc

    > Think about how far you've traveled in the last 6 months. Will a one or
    > two state coverage cover this area for you? If not, how often do you
    > travel that far away? Would you be better off with a 2-state plan that
    > gave you twice as many minutes, like Verizon used to do, for you to share
    > between the phones?

    I travel maybe every other month out of state up and down the east coast
    mostly and it does come in handy.

    > Who else do you often call to their cellphone? What company are they with?
    > Most companues now let you call other customers for free, anytime. If you
    > call them very often, it may be to your advantage to get on their company's
    > system and call for free. Believe it or not, not every cellphone is on
    > Verizon!..(c;

    Most of the people I call are on Verizon, with Nextel a close second.
    I haven't had any complaints with coverage, but the guys using other
    carriers sure do, especially Nextel.

    My complaint with Verizon is their hodgepodge of plans, bonus offers and
    the way their website, stores, flyers included in your bill ALL SEEM TO
    CONTRADICT EACH OTHER!!
    It is truly a mess.

    I've been with Verizon since the 90's and while I can't knock the service
    and even the Customer Service people (up until now, read below), their
    bills/plans and special offers are totally confusing to me.

    Here is an example:

    On Monday I ordered via the website, a Moto E815 to replace one of my 3
    family share fones VX6000 (not the primary) which was $99.00. I also got
    the car charger and was going to get the belt clip and Bluetooth headphone
    but they were out of stock. I received a confirmation of my order via
    email.

    The next morning I look on the website and now they are giving away a free
    Moto V265 fone FREE with the E815!
    Not that I need another phone, but it's the point that counts.

    If that was not bad enough, my bill contains a flyer which has discounts
    on Customer Choice Bundle and Essential Package which would have saved me
    $5.00 on the charger and $5.00 on the case.
    This isn't on the web at all.

    On top of that, I get no further communication from Verizon about my order
    (it says processing on the web) until tonight when it finally says order
    complete and I will receive it in 2-3 business days.
    This was after a call to CS where I got transferred to 3 different numbers
    before I was speaking to the correct person, who was very pleasant BTW.

    The entire thing, at least to me is a mess.
    They have so many plans, so many special offers, so many hidden offers
    (ie:the $59.99 Family plan which I think still exists, although not
    advertised) that it's nothing but a ball of confusion.

    Like I said, I have been happy up until now but I feel like I am losing
    control of my cellfones and billing. It's like playing an enormous chess
    game hoping you time your moves correctly so you don't get screwed.

    Anyone else feel like this?

    Sponge

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:06:57 -0400, Sponge <le_yam@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Anyone else feel like this?

    Word of warning: While Larry might raise a valid point from time to
    time, he's our unofficial group troll. He's a former VZW customer who
    got pissed off and just never got over it, even after moving to
    Alltel, which isn't available to you and much to Larry's chagrin,
    isn't worth a tinker's damn in upstate SC.

    But to your point, I cannot and will not defend any of VZW's actions
    you mentioned, other than to say that in my experiences, the worst
    offenders of "the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing"
    are telecommunications companies. One would think a company that
    specializes in communications could do a better job of it in-house.

    Ahhhh..Give me the days of AMPS and the bagphone....

    The Ghost of General Lee wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:06:57 -0400, Sponge
    > <le_yam@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone else feel like this?
    >
    > Word of warning: While Larry might raise a valid point
    > from time to time, he's our unofficial group troll. He's
    > a former VZW customer who got pissed off and just never
    > got over it, even after moving to Alltel, which isn't
    > available to you and much to Larry's chagrin, isn't worth
    > a tinker's damn in upstate SC.
    >
    > But to your point, I cannot and will not defend any of
    > VZW's actions you mentioned, other than to say that in my
    > experiences, the worst offenders of "the left hand not
    > knowing what the right hand is doing" are
    > telecommunications companies. One would think a company
    > that specializes in communications could do a better job
    > of it in-house.

    I've never had a problem. I have no doubt that I may be an
    exception. I have fairly straight forward needs. 3 line family
    share with somewhere between 1500 and 2000 minutes.
    I'm the only one that needs occassional data usage. I spent
    some time a few years ago to fully understand all the plans
    options and promotions. Now I just barely pay attention to
    changes and new offerings. If it's something that I might be
    interested in I look into it. Most of it isn't. For example, last
    year I caught that small window (2 months?) where they had
    the last promo with the AC1 plans. Got the exact same plan
    with 500 additional minutes for the exact same price.

    Most of the changes are mainly packaging. Old family shares
    you got a plan with a primary line and added lines at $20 each.
    Now you get a family share with 2 lines and add lines at $10
    each. What was the change there? Cheaper for those with
    multiple secondary lines. No change for those with 3 lines
    and $10 more for those with 2 lines but more minutes?
    .... packaging.

    AC1 to AC2 could be significant for a very few people as it
    could possibly effect service. For the *great* majority of users
    it had no effect, dumbed it down where everybody could
    understand, made the marketing comparable to Sprint and
    the likes, and probably saved a few people from shooting
    themselves in the foot with accidental roaming charges.

    Surely everybody remembers the endless threads on what
    is the difference between Home, Extended, and Roaming
    and what does the solid or flashing triangle mean again?

    Of course the change did bring a high point to Larry who
    had visions of his name in an imaginary supreme court case.

    Remember when you always had to qualify with "In MY
    area/region" when referring to your plan or offerings?

    I've never really seen much, if any, inconsistency. I only
    deal with CS or the web so maybe the stores are different.
    Where you do see a lot of confusion, half truths, twisted
    facts, and "well, I heard..." is here. Most is because people
    like the attention, have some other adgenda, or would
    rather hear what they want to hear and don't want to
    spend maybe an hour to understand something they
    will be spending many hundred dollars a year on.

    Sure there are some incentives that are only on the web
    site, some only by mail, but they mostly amount to a one
    time, $10 here or there and are more or less noise relative
    to what you're paying for service.

    -Quick

    So get it down once and sort of listen for changes in the
    background. It's not that tough and it's not rocket science.

    -Quick

    The Ghost of General Lee wrote:

    > Word of warning: While Larry might raise a valid point
    > from time to time, he's our unofficial group troll.

    Does that make Xman the official troll?

    > He's a former VZW customer who got pissed off
    > and just never got over it.

    I figure Larry got pissed off when he retired. You know,
    lonely old guy with not much useful to do any more.
    Remember how much better he got for a while after
    moving that sail boat up the coast? Something to do
    and a little human interaction. I think Larry is just in
    need of a hug every now and again... You live in his
    neck of the woods, you should do it.

    -Quick

    On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 04:52:30 GMT, "Quick"
    <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

    >The Ghost of General Lee wrote:
    >>
    >> Word of warning: While Larry might raise a valid point
    >> from time to time, he's our unofficial group troll.
    >
    >Does that make Xman the official troll?

    Pretty much, but I didn't want to bestow that official honor on him.

    >> He's a former VZW customer who got pissed off
    >> and just never got over it.
    >
    >I figure Larry got pissed off when he retired. You know,
    >lonely old guy with not much useful to do any more.
    >Remember how much better he got for a while after
    >moving that sail boat up the coast? Something to do
    >and a little human interaction. I think Larry is just in
    >need of a hug every now and again... You live in his
    >neck of the woods, you should do it.

    Kiss my ass!;-) He lives down on the coast, I live in the upstate.
    Let him go hug a shark.

    Larry is "pissed" in general. Or so it seems.
    Check out alt.online-service.comcast sometime.
    Pretty much the same stuff - just the name is changed.
    There it's "Comcrap".

    But... I don't think they've been subjected to the
    Yamaha tome 200 times.... yet.

    I think our 'buddy' Larry just hates large corporations.
    And gets his warm & fuzzys by being a curmudgeon.
    Some just get their jollies by being a general PITA

    justme wrote:
    > Larry is "pissed" in general. Or so it seems.
    > Check out alt.online-service.comcast sometime.
    > Pretty much the same stuff - just the name is changed.
    > There it's "Comcrap".

    Interesting, because he's a Knology Cable customer. He's said so a couple
    times over the year. Maybe he used to be a Comcast customer.

    > I think our 'buddy' Larry just hates large corporations.

    He hates everyone.

    Company website: http://JustThe.net/
    E: sjsobol@JustThe.net Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 22:18:54 -0400, The Ghost of General Lee wrote:

    > On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:06:57 -0400, Sponge <le_yam@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Anyone else feel like this?
    >
    > Word of warning: While Larry might raise a valid point from time to
    > time, he's our unofficial group troll. He's a former VZW customer who
    > got pissed off and just never got over it, even after moving to
    > Alltel, which isn't available to you and much to Larry's chagrin,
    > isn't worth a tinker's damn in upstate SC.

    Thanks for the warning :)

    > But to your point, I cannot and will not defend any of VZW's actions
    > you mentioned, other than to say that in my experiences, the worst
    > offenders of "the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing"
    > are telecommunications companies. One would think a company that
    > specializes in communications could do a better job of it in-house.

    That's kind of what I expected.
    Like I said, I have been with Verizon since the 90's, which actually
    included a brief stint with Sprint (for my business), which was terrible
    and Cingular, which was even worse. This was about 3 years ago so maybe
    things have improved.

    FWIW, the phone arrived at 9am this morning, so I have to give Verizon
    credit on their 2-3 days ship time.
    I only wish their web people would update the site with a tracking number
    or something like other companies do.

    I'll let everyone know how the E815 compares to the VX6000 as soon as I
    switch them and use it for a couple of days.
    Sponge

    In alt.cellular.verizon, Sponge <le_yam@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > My complaint with Verizon is their hodgepodge of plans, bonus offers and
    > the way their website, stores, flyers included in your bill ALL SEEM TO
    > CONTRADICT EACH OTHER!!
    > It is truly a mess.

    Yep. And their bills are a friggin mess!

    I just signed up for a family plan (I used to have an individual plan) and
    got new phones for me and 3 family members. The initial bill is 10 pages
    long!

    It has charges and credits and breakdowns and redundant bullshit. They do
    their level best to make it all as confusing as possible.

    --
    Why don't presidents fight the war?
    Why do they always send the poor?

    -- System of a Down

    On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 11:45:28 +0000 (UTC), EskWIRED@spamblock.panix.com
    wrote:

    > In alt.cellular.verizon, Sponge <le_yam@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >> My complaint with Verizon is their hodgepodge of plans, bonus offers and
    >> the way their website, stores, flyers included in your bill ALL SEEM TO
    >> CONTRADICT EACH OTHER!!
    >> It is truly a mess.
    >
    > Yep. And their bills are a friggin mess!
    >
    > I just signed up for a family plan (I used to have an individual plan) and
    > got new phones for me and 3 family members. The initial bill is 10 pages
    > long!
    >
    > It has charges and credits and breakdowns and redundant bullshit. They do
    > their level best to make it all as confusing as possible.

    They are VERY good at making it confusing, but like another persons
    commented, I suspect this is typical for this end of the business.

    On a more positive note, when I first switched to the Family Plan with 4
    phones total, I had a billing problem which was quite complex. It seemed
    that the way they charged the numbers, IOW the order, was effecting my
    useage of primary minutes which made things real weird looking on the bill.

    IOW one phone would have a charge for .90 at say 2pm on July 12th and
    another phone would not during a similar time frame.
    They were not IN calls BTW.

    I called CS and the agent was going crazy trying to figure it out.
    Finally she told me she would have to call me back.

    I thought, yea right....I'll never hear from her again.
    She told me when she would call, 2 days later and at what time.

    To my surprise, she actually kept to her word and the problem was resolved.

    So like I said, while it seems true one leg of the company doesn't seem to
    know what the other leg is doing, in MY experience, the CS people have
    been pleasent and do try to help out.
    They also seem to answer the phone in a timely fashion unlike other support
    companies I deal with.

    Now if they only made a bill and plan offering that was written in a
    language a layperson could understand.

    Sponge

    In alt.cellular.verizon, Sponge <le_yam@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > On a more positive note, when I first switched to the Family Plan with 4
    > phones total, I had a billing problem which was quite complex. It seemed
    > that the way they charged the numbers, IOW the order, was effecting my
    > useage of primary minutes which made things real weird looking on the bill.

    Me too. Some of my family plan phones have zero minutes included, so
    every time someone uses it, I'm being charged 40 cents/minute! WTF!? So
    I called VZW, and they will give me credit on the next bill.

    Additionally, I wanted all 4 phones to have IN PIX messaging. Only 3 of
    them got signed up for it. So the 4th phone, used by my PIX-happy kid,
    has been charged for every one. The rep couldn't help me, but said
    someone would call me back.

    Finally, I was told that I'd get a month of free V-Cast. Instead, I get
    charged for some kid of package deal wich includes both IN PIX messging
    and data service, for $20/month. VCAST is worthless, and so I tried to
    cancel, but who knows what is going to happen!

    This whole thing is overly complex. I can easily see many folks just
    paying the damn ($300+) bill, because they figure that VZW knows what it
    is doing.

    --

    The Ghost of General Lee <ghost@general.lee> wrote in

    > isn't worth a tinker's damn in upstate SC.

    Oh, that's odd.....
    Alltel ROAMS to VERIZON upstate above Clinton....It'll connect to either
    Alltel or VZW or SPCS up there in the mountains all the way over past
    Charlotte.

    It's gotta be more coverage than Verizon's locked out Verizon-only
    phones....right?

    --
    Larry

    "St" <dd@notmenow.net> wrote in news:alXFe.846$6%2.157@fe10.lga:

    > Ahhhh..Give me the days of AMPS and the bagphone....

    Look further down the newsgroups. AMPS may be here way past 2008 if the
    rural folks with poor digital service have their way....

    --
    Larry

    On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 19:24:10 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
    wrote:

    >I'll keep on asking this question until you answer it (which probably means
    >I'm going to be asking for a while.

    At least every time you ask it, he slinks away for a few weeks and we
    get a bit of peace and quiet in here.

    The Ghost of General Lee wrote:
    > On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 19:24:10 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I'll keep on asking this question until you answer it (which probably means
    >>I'm going to be asking for a while.
    >

    > At least every time you ask it, he slinks away for a few weeks and we
    > get a bit of peace and quiet in here.

    ....which I don't mind, but I think it's fundamentally dishonest of him to
    carp on people the way he does, while he seemingly has no problem launching
    more serious personal attacks on me.

    The sad thing is that I used to enjoy reading the posts of his that didn't
    contain paranoid rants.

    Company website: http://JustThe.net/
    E: sjsobol@JustThe.net Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307

    The Ghost of General Lee wrote:

    > On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 04:52:30 GMT, "Quick"
    > <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >The Ghost of General Lee wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Word of warning: While Larry might raise a valid point
    > >> from time to time, he's our unofficial group troll.
    > >
    > >Does that make Xman the official troll?
    >
    > Pretty much, but I didn't want to bestow that official honor on him.
    >
    > >> He's a former VZW customer who got pissed off
    > >> and just never got over it.
    > >
    > >I figure Larry got pissed off when he retired. You know,
    > >lonely old guy with not much useful to do any more.
    > >Remember how much better he got for a while after
    > >moving that sail boat up the coast? Something to do
    > >and a little human interaction. I think Larry is just in
    > >need of a hug every now and again... You live in his
    > >neck of the woods, you should do it.
    > >

    > Kiss my ass!;-) He lives down on the coast, I live in the upstate.
    > Let him go hug a shark.

    There's some Southern hospitality...

    On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 18:49:02 -0400, Tropical Haven <email@example.net>
    wrote:

    >The Ghost of General Lee wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 04:52:30 GMT, "Quick"
    >> <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

    >> >Does that make Xman the official troll?
    >>
    >> Pretty much, but I didn't want to bestow that official honor on him.

    >> >I figure Larry got pissed off when he retired. You know,
    >> >lonely old guy with not much useful to do any more.
    >> >Remember how much better he got for a while after
    >> >moving that sail boat up the coast? Something to do
    >> >and a little human interaction. I think Larry is just in
    >> >need of a hug every now and again... You live in his
    >> >neck of the woods, you should do it.
    >> >

    >> Kiss my ass!;-) He lives down on the coast, I live in the upstate.
    >> Let him go hug a shark.
    >
    >There's some Southern hospitality...

    Larry isn't truly Southern, and his behavior here isn't deserving of
    *any* hospitality.

    The Ghost of General Lee wrote:

    > Larry isn't truly Southern

    Define "truly Southern"...

    On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 20:14:50 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
    wrote:

    >The Ghost of General Lee wrote:
    >
    >> Larry isn't truly Southern
    >
    >Define "truly Southern"...

    He wasn't born here, and his behavior here is a continuing
    embarrassment to *this* native South Carolinian.

    On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 23:38:27 -0400, The Ghost of General Lee
    <ghost@general.lee> wrote:

    >On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 20:14:50 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>The Ghost of General Lee wrote:
    >>
    >>> Larry isn't truly Southern
    >>
    >>Define "truly Southern"...
    >
    >He wasn't born here, and his behavior here is a continuing
    >embarrassment to *this* native South Carolinian.

    Sorry, for clarity, "here" #1 refers to SC, "here" #2 refers to this
    group.

Verizon Internet Service Providers