CD writer on P5-133

Can I fit a CD writer in my p5-133? All the specs seem to require 166MHz.
Thanks. It would be really handy for photographs.

Mark,

You can install a CD-RW in a Pentium 133, but there would probably not be enough
processor cycles to sustain error-free writing of CDs. In other words, if and
when the CD-RW managed to work, it would burn very slowly. When it did not work
properly, the result would be plastic "coasters", useless plastic disks from a
failed CD burning attempt.

In all likelihood, there is some sort of inexpensive processor upgrade to kick
the system up to 200MHz or possibly 233MHz. What is the BIOS ID of the
motherboard? The motherboard BIOS is probably AMI, and the BIOS identification
string is usually displayed just below the BIOS copyright notice when the
computer is first powered up. It would also make sense to take the computer to
its max of 128MB memory, if you have not done so already.

Let me know the BIOS ID and the amount of memory in the system, and I'll see if
I have the upgrade parts here, to be sold at a fair and reasonable price.

Your other option may be simply to replace the system with something newer, not
necessarily brand new... Ben Myers

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:29:38 +0100, "Mark Dunn" <markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Can I fit a CD writer in my p5-133? All the specs seem to require 166MHz.
>Thanks. It would be really handy for photographs.

enkidu

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2002

Well said Ben,

However I'd like to add that the CD-RW is just the first of a long-line
of technical short-comings that your trusty Gateway will face. Save your
money and plan on a new machine in the near future. Low end machines
have become very reasonably priced and include a CD burner. I think
you'll get a bigger bang for the buck with a total upgrade.

Enkidu

Ben Myers wrote:

> Mark,
>
> You can install a CD-RW in a Pentium 133, but there would probably not be enough
> processor cycles to sustain error-free writing of CDs. In other words, if and
> when the CD-RW managed to work, it would burn very slowly. When it did not work
> properly, the result would be plastic "coasters", useless plastic disks from a
> failed CD burning attempt.
>
> In all likelihood, there is some sort of inexpensive processor upgrade to kick
> the system up to 200MHz or possibly 233MHz. What is the BIOS ID of the
> motherboard? The motherboard BIOS is probably AMI, and the BIOS identification
> string is usually displayed just below the BIOS copyright notice when the
> computer is first powered up. It would also make sense to take the computer to
> its max of 128MB memory, if you have not done so already.
>
> Let me know the BIOS ID and the amount of memory in the system, and I'll see if
> I have the upgrade parts here, to be sold at a fair and reasonable price.
>
> Your other option may be simply to replace the system with something newer, not
> necessarily brand new... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:29:38 +0100, "Mark Dunn" <markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Can I fit a CD writer in my p5-133? All the specs seem to require 166MHz.
>>Thanks. It would be really handy for photographs.

It is AMI. The BIOS is 1.00.10BROT. I already have 128Mb. I'm in England,
and I don't think you are, so you probably won't be posting bits to me, but
I would appreciate being pointed on the right direction short of a new
computer. I still rather like Win98 versus XP. Many thanks again, Ben.
> Mark,
>
> You can install a CD-RW in a Pentium 133, but there would probably not be
enough
> processor cycles to sustain error-free writing of CDs. In other words, if
and
> when the CD-RW managed to work, it would burn very slowly. When it did
not work
> properly, the result would be plastic "coasters", useless plastic disks
from a
> failed CD burning attempt.
>
> In all likelihood, there is some sort of inexpensive processor upgrade to
kick
> the system up to 200MHz or possibly 233MHz. What is the BIOS ID of the
> motherboard? The motherboard BIOS is probably AMI, and the BIOS
identification
> string is usually displayed just below the BIOS copyright notice when the
> computer is first powered up. It would also make sense to take the
computer to
> its max of 128MB memory, if you have not done so already.
>
> Let me know the BIOS ID and the amount of memory in the system, and I'll
see if
> I have the upgrade parts here, to be sold at a fair and reasonable price.
>
> Your other option may be simply to replace the system with something
newer, not
> necessarily brand new... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:29:38 +0100, "Mark Dunn" <markrhdunn@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> >Can I fit a CD writer in my p5-133? All the specs seem to require 166MHz.
> >Thanks. It would be really handy for photographs.

For that specific motherboard (the Intel Aladdin), the easiest fast upgrade is
the Intel Pentium OverDrive rated at 200MHz. It has its own on-board cooling
fan. On this side of the pond, they are $US 10 or less.

PowerLeap once made a kit supporting the 233MHz MMX, but the kit was a bit
pricey. PowerLeap also once made a kit with an AMD K6-2 @ 400MHz and a BIOS
upgrade to allow the BIOS to recoginize an non-Intel CPU. Even more pricey, and
the AMD CPUs run HOT... Ben Myers

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:48:01 +0100, "Mark Dunn" <markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote:

>It is AMI. The BIOS is 1.00.10BROT. I already have 128Mb. I'm in England,
>and I don't think you are, so you probably won't be posting bits to me, but
>I would appreciate being pointed on the right direction short of a new
>computer. I still rather like Win98 versus XP. Many thanks again, Ben.
>> Mark,
>>
>> You can install a CD-RW in a Pentium 133, but there would probably not be
>enough
>> processor cycles to sustain error-free writing of CDs. In other words, if
>and
>> when the CD-RW managed to work, it would burn very slowly. When it did
>not work
>> properly, the result would be plastic "coasters", useless plastic disks
>from a
>> failed CD burning attempt.
>>
>> In all likelihood, there is some sort of inexpensive processor upgrade to
>kick
>> the system up to 200MHz or possibly 233MHz. What is the BIOS ID of the
>> motherboard? The motherboard BIOS is probably AMI, and the BIOS
>identification
>> string is usually displayed just below the BIOS copyright notice when the
>> computer is first powered up. It would also make sense to take the
>computer to
>> its max of 128MB memory, if you have not done so already.
>>
>> Let me know the BIOS ID and the amount of memory in the system, and I'll
>see if
>> I have the upgrade parts here, to be sold at a fair and reasonable price.
>>
>> Your other option may be simply to replace the system with something
>newer, not
>> necessarily brand new... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:29:38 +0100, "Mark Dunn" <markrhdunn@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>>
>> >Can I fit a CD writer in my p5-133? All the specs seem to require 166MHz.
>> >Thanks. It would be really handy for photographs.

P.S. If you manage to acquire a 200MHz Pentium OverDrive (MUST be an OverDrive),
installation is mindlessly simple. First, carefully remove the spring-loaded
clip holding the heat sink in place. Then remove both heat sink and Pentium 133
CPU. Finally, insert Pentium OverDrive in motherboard socket and close the
retaining lever. That's it. No jumper changes needed... Ben Myers

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:48:01 +0100, "Mark Dunn" <markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote:

>It is AMI. The BIOS is 1.00.10BROT. I already have 128Mb. I'm in England,
>and I don't think you are, so you probably won't be posting bits to me, but
>I would appreciate being pointed on the right direction short of a new
>computer. I still rather like Win98 versus XP. Many thanks again, Ben.
>> Mark,
>>
>> You can install a CD-RW in a Pentium 133, but there would probably not be
>enough
>> processor cycles to sustain error-free writing of CDs. In other words, if
>and
>> when the CD-RW managed to work, it would burn very slowly. When it did
>not work
>> properly, the result would be plastic "coasters", useless plastic disks
>from a
>> failed CD burning attempt.
>>
>> In all likelihood, there is some sort of inexpensive processor upgrade to
>kick
>> the system up to 200MHz or possibly 233MHz. What is the BIOS ID of the
>> motherboard? The motherboard BIOS is probably AMI, and the BIOS
>identification
>> string is usually displayed just below the BIOS copyright notice when the
>> computer is first powered up. It would also make sense to take the
>computer to
>> its max of 128MB memory, if you have not done so already.
>>
>> Let me know the BIOS ID and the amount of memory in the system, and I'll
>see if
>> I have the upgrade parts here, to be sold at a fair and reasonable price.
>>
>> Your other option may be simply to replace the system with something
>newer, not
>> necessarily brand new... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:29:38 +0100, "Mark Dunn" <markrhdunn@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>>
>> >Can I fit a CD writer in my p5-133? All the specs seem to require 166MHz.
>> >Thanks. It would be really handy for photographs.

Thanks again. I've just bid on one on ebay. Won't pay over £10, but I like
my 133, and 9 months is too soon to say goodbye.
> P.S. If you manage to acquire a 200MHz Pentium OverDrive (MUST be an
OverDrive),
> installation is mindlessly simple. First, carefully remove the
spring-loaded
> clip holding the heat sink in place. Then remove both heat sink and
Pentium 133
> CPU. Finally, insert Pentium OverDrive in motherboard socket and close
the
> retaining lever. That's it. No jumper changes needed... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:48:01 +0100, "Mark Dunn" <markrhdunn@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> >It is AMI. The BIOS is 1.00.10BROT. I already have 128Mb. I'm in England,
> >and I don't think you are, so you probably won't be posting bits to me,
but
> >I would appreciate being pointed on the right direction short of a new
> >computer. I still rather like Win98 versus XP. Many thanks again, Ben.
> ><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
> >> Mark,
> >>
> >> You can install a CD-RW in a Pentium 133, but there would probably not
be
> >enough
> >> processor cycles to sustain error-free writing of CDs. In other words,
if
> >and
> >> when the CD-RW managed to work, it would burn very slowly. When it did
> >not work
> >> properly, the result would be plastic "coasters", useless plastic disks
> >from a
> >> failed CD burning attempt.
> >>
> >> In all likelihood, there is some sort of inexpensive processor upgrade
> >kick
> >> the system up to 200MHz or possibly 233MHz. What is the BIOS ID of the
> >> motherboard? The motherboard BIOS is probably AMI, and the BIOS
> >identification
> >> string is usually displayed just below the BIOS copyright notice when
the
> >> computer is first powered up. It would also make sense to take the
> >computer to
> >> its max of 128MB memory, if you have not done so already.
> >>
> >> Let me know the BIOS ID and the amount of memory in the system, and
I'll
> >see if
> >> I have the upgrade parts here, to be sold at a fair and reasonable
price.

> >> Your other option may be simply to replace the system with something
> >newer, not
> >> necessarily brand new... Ben Myers
> >>
> >> On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:29:38 +0100, "Mark Dunn"
<markrhdunn@hotmail.com>

I see a lot of used 200MHz mmx Pentium CPUs- bet I can't just stick one of
those in?
Mark Dunn <markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks again. I've just bid on one on ebay. Won't pay over £10, but I like
> my 133, and 9 months is too soon to say goodbye.
> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
> > P.S. If you manage to acquire a 200MHz Pentium OverDrive (MUST be an
> OverDrive),
> > installation is mindlessly simple. First, carefully remove the
> spring-loaded
> > clip holding the heat sink in place. Then remove both heat sink and
> Pentium 133
> > CPU. Finally, insert Pentium OverDrive in motherboard socket and close
> the
> > retaining lever. That's it. No jumper changes needed... Ben Myers
> >
> > On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:48:01 +0100, "Mark Dunn" <markrhdunn@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > >It is AMI. The BIOS is 1.00.10BROT. I already have 128Mb. I'm in
England,
> > >and I don't think you are, so you probably won't be posting bits to me,
> but
> > >I would appreciate being pointed on the right direction short of a new
> > >computer. I still rather like Win98 versus XP. Many thanks again, Ben.
> > ><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message

> be
> > >enough
> if
> > >and
> > >not work
> > >from a

> > >kick
> > >identification
> the
> > >computer to

> I'll
> > >see if
> price.

> > >newer, not

> <markrhdunn@hotmail.com>

> 166MHz.

No. The 200MHz MMX operates at a lower voltage than supplied by your
motherboard. Pity. Installing an MMX in an Aladdin board is a scenario for
buring out the processor chip and/or the board... Ben Myers

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:41:28 +0100, "Mark Dunn" <markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I see a lot of used 200MHz mmx Pentium CPUs- bet I can't just stick one of
>those in?
>Mark Dunn <markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks again. I've just bid on one on ebay. Won't pay over £10, but I like
>> my 133, and 9 months is too soon to say goodbye.
>> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>> > P.S. If you manage to acquire a 200MHz Pentium OverDrive (MUST be an
>> OverDrive),
>> > installation is mindlessly simple. First, carefully remove the
>> spring-loaded
>> > clip holding the heat sink in place. Then remove both heat sink and
>> Pentium 133
>> > CPU. Finally, insert Pentium OverDrive in motherboard socket and close
>> the
>> > retaining lever. That's it. No jumper changes needed... Ben Myers

>England,
>> but

>not
>> be
>words,
>> if
>did
>disks

>upgrade
>the
>> the

>> I'll
>> price.

>> <markrhdunn@hotmail.com>

>> 166MHz.

SR

The 200 MHz Pentium OverDrive processor is MMX! There was an older line of socket-5/socket-7 Pentium OverDrive processors without MMX, but they only went up to 166 MHz. The Pentium OverDrive processors with MMX went up to 200 MHz.

There was a standard 200 MHz Pentium with MMX. There was also a 200 MHz Pentium OverDrive with MMX. Performance wise, they are the same.

The standard Pentium with MMX requires a motherboard that provides 2.8V core and 3.3V I/O. His motherboard will not support the standard Pentium with MMX. The 200 MHz Pentium OverDrive with MMX has onboard voltage regulation to provide the 2.8V core. His motherboard will support the 200 MHz Pentium OverDrive with MMX.

<ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message news:414b1c02.13311502@news.charter.net...
> No. The 200MHz MMX operates at a lower voltage than supplied by your
> motherboard. Pity. Installing an MMX in an Aladdin board is a scenario for
> buring out the processor chip and/or the board... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:41:28 +0100, "Mark Dunn" <markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I see a lot of used 200MHz mmx Pentium CPUs- bet I can't just stick one of
> >those in?
> >Mark Dunn <markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Thanks again. I've just bid on one on ebay. Won't pay over £10, but I like
> >> my 133, and 9 months is too soon to say goodbye.
> >> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
> >> OverDrive),
> >> spring-loaded
> >> Pentium 133
> >> the

> >England,
> >> but

> >not
> >> be
> >words,
> >> if
> >did
> >disks

> >upgrade
> >the
> >> the

> >> I'll
> >> price.

> >> <markrhdunn@hotmail.com>

> >> 166MHz.

A P-133 can easily run a CD writer - it's the software that requires a
faster CPU, not the hardware.

Look for an older version of EasyCD Creator or Nero - I've written CDs on
far slower machines than a 133.
Just make sure the older software supports whatever writer you buy.

> Mark,
>
> You can install a CD-RW in a Pentium 133, but there would probably not be
> enough
> processor cycles to sustain error-free writing of CDs. In other words, if
> and
> when the CD-RW managed to work, it would burn very slowly. When it did
> not work
> properly, the result would be plastic "coasters", useless plastic disks
> from a
> failed CD burning attempt.

Yep. That's what I said. Very specific. Pentium OverDrive.

166MHz was not the max for the classic 3.3v Pentium. It was produced in the
200MHz speed grade. I have a few of them lying around here, waiting for a good
home. At this rate, the next home may be the electronics recycler. The 200MHz
classic Pentium, unlike classic Coke, was produced in relatively limited
quantities, and I sold some at a premium price (over $100?) to a bank looking to
extend the lives of some computers. Now you can hardly give away a P200. C'est
la vie! ... Ben Myers

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 18:37:17 GMT, "SR" <nojunkmail@my.com> wrote:

>The 200 MHz Pentium OverDrive processor is MMX! There was an older line =
>of socket-5/socket-7 Pentium OverDrive processors without MMX, but they =
>only went up to 166 MHz. The Pentium OverDrive processors with MMX went =
>up to 200 MHz.=20
>
>There was a standard 200 MHz Pentium with MMX. There was also a 200 MHz =
>Pentium OverDrive with MMX. Performance wise, they are the same. =20
>
>The standard Pentium with MMX requires a motherboard that provides 2.8V =
>core and 3.3V I/O. His motherboard will not support the standard =
>Pentium with MMX. The 200 MHz Pentium OverDrive with MMX has onboard =
>voltage regulation to provide the 2.8V core. His motherboard will =
>support the 200 MHz Pentium OverDrive with MMX.
>=20
>

><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message =
>> No. The 200MHz MMX operates at a lower voltage than supplied by your
>> motherboard. Pity. Installing an MMX in an Aladdin board is a =
>scenario for
>> buring out the processor chip and/or the board... Ben Myers
>>=20
>> On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:41:28 +0100, "Mark Dunn" =
><markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>=20
>> >I see a lot of used 200MHz mmx Pentium CPUs- bet I can't just stick =
>one of
>> >those in?
>> >Mark Dunn <markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>but I like
>an
>and
>close
>Myers

><markrhdunn@hotmail.com>

>> >England,
>to me,
>a new
>again, Ben.
>message

>probably
>> >not
>other
>> >words,
>When it
>> >did
>plastic
>> >disks

>> >upgrade
>ID of
>> >the
>BIOS
>notice when
>take the

>system, and
>reasonable

>something

>require
>> >> > >> >

>>=20

True, but as noted previously, the burning software must be able to consume a
constant stream of processor cycles to avoid producing useless coasters. A P133
doesn't have a lot of processor cycles to spare. I doubt that it could sustain
a burn rate much faster than 4x. Better to spend a few bucks on a processor
upgrade to provide some sort of cushion in the form of more available CPU cycles
than to have a collection of not-too-useful improperly burned CDs... Ben Myers

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 19:56:50 GMT, "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote:

>A P-133 can easily run a CD writer - it's the software that requires a
>faster CPU, not the hardware.
>
>Look for an older version of EasyCD Creator or Nero - I've written CDs on
>far slower machines than a 133.
>Just make sure the older software supports whatever writer you buy.

>> Mark,
>>
>> You can install a CD-RW in a Pentium 133, but there would probably not be
>> enough
>> processor cycles to sustain error-free writing of CDs. In other words, if
>> and
>> when the CD-RW managed to work, it would burn very slowly. When it did
>> not work
>> properly, the result would be plastic "coasters", useless plastic disks
>> from a
>> failed CD burning attempt.

Scott

Mark,

I'm running a 32x CD writer in my P5-90 Gateway desktop (1994 vintage),
although I did upgrade to a Pentium 200Mhz Overdrive chip. I'm using a
portion of Easy CD Creator Software--Adaptec Direct CD, because I'm running
Win 95a, and Easy CD Creator wants a newer version of Internet Explorer
(I've got v3.0). The limitation seems to be the software, not the hardware.
Anyway, Adaptec Direct CD requires manually copying and pasting files
from the hard drive to the CD writer drive. It's fairly fast and works great.

Scott

Mark Dunn wrote:

> Can I fit a CD writer in my p5-133? All the specs seem to require 166MHz.
> Thanks. It would be really handy for photographs.

Every modern CD or DVD writer has a buffer and can throttle down - even
stop - the writing process
if it needs to let the system catch up, without producing a coaster.

CD writers have worked with the likes of PowerMac 7120s and 486s - even back
in the days when there was no such thing as buffer underrun protection.

A P5-133 is just fine for writing CDs hardware-wise - the software may have
become bloated and won't run, but the hardware is fully capable of keeping
up with a CD writer.