how to edit/make movies on my computer using video from my..

I have an old Sharp camcorder, analog, puts video on VHS tapes. It
works fine.

I have a nice PC with lots of RAM. I would like to upload the video
from the camera or VCR VHS tapes onto my PC and edit it and make
movies with it.

I do not have a DVD player. I do have a CD ROM, but AFAIK, I cannot
play a DVD on the CD ROM.

I have seen some video capture cards that use the PCI bus to upload
the VHS video into a PC, from where it can be edited. But apparently
that card is used to make DVDs. And I do not have a DVD player.

I have however watched movies/video clips on my computer using the
Windows media and Real Player software. Most of these video files are
avi, mpg, mpeg types.

My question is, can I use one of the DVD Maker PCI capture cards to
store the video in a format that will allow me to use appropriate
video software to make movies that can be watched on the computer
using Windows media or Real PLayer (i.e., files with mpeg, mpg, or avi
extensions.)????

Can Windows media or Real PLayer be used to watch DVDs or these files
that are labeled divx?

Also, what editing software would be used to do this?

TIA

"Unknown Soldier" <thimblerig101@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:15bff4b8.0407141537.56eec2@posting.google.com...
> I have an old Sharp camcorder, analog, puts video on VHS tapes. It
> works fine.
> I do not have a DVD player. I do have a CD ROM, but AFAIK, I cannot
> play a DVD on the CD ROM.

Obviously correct.

> My question is, can I use one of the DVD Maker PCI capture cards to
> store the video in a format that will allow me to use appropriate
> video software to make movies that can be watched on the computer
> using Windows media or Real PLayer (i.e., files with mpeg, mpg, or avi
> extensions.)????

Virtually all video capture cards allow a wide variety of capture formats, and
even if they don't, many utilities allow translating between various formats.

> Can Windows media or Real PLayer be used to watch DVDs or these files
> that are labeled divx?

First, you don't need the DVD format for what you are doing. AVI, WMF,
MPEG1, MPEG2 (which DVD uses), DIVX, are all formats that can be
played on your computer.

> Also, what editing software would be used to do this?

Do a little reading at www.vcdhelp.com and see if that doesn't answer your
questions.

--
Dan (Woj...) dmaster at lucent dot com