newbie question about Sygate

Last response: in Networking
a b 8 Security
July 26, 2004 1:57:26 PM

I have been using ZoneAlarm and I am considering giving Sygate Personal
Firewall a try. Does Sygate gives you ability to block outbound traffic
similar to ZA?
TIA

More about : newbie question sygate

July 26, 2004 10:51:59 PM

In article <2mkrfmFn0l57U1@uni-berlin.de>, noemail@invalid.invalid says...
> I have been using ZoneAlarm and I am considering giving Sygate Personal
> Firewall a try. Does Sygate gives you ability to block outbound traffic
> similar to ZA?
> TIA

Upon installation of Sygate, the default setting for all
applications/services is Ask (blocked but asking for permission
to connect). You can respond to each one with remember/allow to
permit each one to (outbound) connect. You can follow up and
assign remote port numbers which restricts ports that each
application/service can connect to. Other responses could be
remember/ask or remember/block for those you don't want connecting.
Casey
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 26, 2004 11:35:02 PM

In article <2mkrfmFn0l57U1@uni-berlin.de>, noemail@invalid.invalid
says...
> I have been using ZoneAlarm and I am considering giving Sygate Personal
> Firewall a try. Does Sygate gives you ability to block outbound traffic
> similar to ZA?

Yes

--
Odd H. Sandvik
a b 8 Security

"Odd H. Sandvik" <invalid@online.nivalid>
wrote in news:MPG.1b6f5f2ed432b95c9896c0@news.online.no:
> In article <2mkrfmFn0l57U1@uni-berlin.de>, noemail@invalid.invalid
> says...
>> I have been using ZoneAlarm and I am considering giving Sygate
>> Personal Firewall a try. Does Sygate gives you ability to block
>> outbound traffic similar to ZA?
>
> Yes

Since you might know Sygate Personal (freebie or Pro version), do you
know if it also provide for URL filtering? And do those URL filters
permit regular expressions? Rather than have, say, 54 entries in the
hosts file to block Doubleclick, I'd like to use URL filtering with a
regular expression of ":////.*/.doubleclick/..*//" (don't remember if
colon needs to be escaped) so I could block Doubleclick with one entry
instead of dozens of them. I looked at the online help file for Sygate
Personal Pro and only saw its section on advanced rules, but that
doesn't permit URL filtering nor does it let you filter outbound
connections based on IP *name* (which might be wildcarded, if supported)
but only on IP *address*.

(E-mail: domain = ".com", add "=NEWS=" to Subject)
July 26, 2004 11:35:04 PM

In article <nNqdnboBf7Eb1pjcRVn-og@comcast.com>, do-not-email@reply-to-group says...
> "Odd H. Sandvik" <invalid@online.nivalid>
> wrote in news:MPG.1b6f5f2ed432b95c9896c0@news.online.no:
> > In article <2mkrfmFn0l57U1@uni-berlin.de>, noemail@invalid.invalid
> > says...
> >> I have been using ZoneAlarm and I am considering giving Sygate
> >> Personal Firewall a try. Does Sygate gives you ability to block
> >> outbound traffic similar to ZA?
> >
> > Yes
>
> Since you might know Sygate Personal (freebie or Pro version), do you
> know if it also provide for URL filtering? And do those URL filters
> permit regular expressions? Rather than have, say, 54 entries in the
> hosts file to block Doubleclick, I'd like to use URL filtering with a
> regular expression of ":////.*/.doubleclick/..*//" (don't remember if
> colon needs to be escaped) so I could block Doubleclick with one entry
> instead of dozens of them. I looked at the online help file for Sygate
> Personal Pro and only saw its section on advanced rules, but that
> doesn't permit URL filtering nor does it let you filter outbound
> connections based on IP *name* (which might be wildcarded, if supported)
> but only on IP *address*.

Sygate advanced rules are created using combinations of the following
parameters: allow/block; addresses(IP,MAC,all); protocols(tcp/udp/icmp/all);
ports(local/remote); scheduling; and application.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 26, 2004 11:35:05 PM

"Casey" <casey@nosuch.net>
wrote in news:MPG.1b6f1114d6ea0470989766@news.west.earthlink.net:

Then I guess I'm still looking for another firewall replacement. I'd
like URL filtering (by IP *name*) and regular expressions so the filter
will cover all hostnames or subdomains of a targeted domain to block.

(E-mail: domain = ".com", add "=NEWS=" to Subject)
a b 8 Security
July 27, 2004 12:43:20 AM

In article <OeCdnT7bMY2sx5jcRVn-hA@comcast.com>, do-not-email@reply-to-group
says...
> "Casey" <casey@nosuch.net>
> wrote in news:MPG.1b6f1114d6ea0470989766@news.west.earthlink.net:
>
> Then I guess I'm still looking for another firewall replacement. I'd
> like URL filtering (by IP *name*) and regular expressions so the filter
> will cover all hostnames or subdomains of a targeted domain to block.

Outpost firewall and the blockpost plugin for it can do this
you can get more info here..
http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/
me
!