newbie question about Sygate

I have been using ZoneAlarm and I am considering giving Sygate Personal
Firewall a try. Does Sygate gives you ability to block outbound traffic
similar to ZA?
TIA
6 answers Last reply
More about newbie question sygate

    In article <2mkrfmFn0l57U1@uni-berlin.de>, noemail@invalid.invalid says...
    > I have been using ZoneAlarm and I am considering giving Sygate Personal
    > Firewall a try. Does Sygate gives you ability to block outbound traffic
    > similar to ZA?
    > TIA

    Upon installation of Sygate, the default setting for all
    applications/services is Ask (blocked but asking for permission
    to connect). You can respond to each one with remember/allow to
    permit each one to (outbound) connect. You can follow up and
    assign remote port numbers which restricts ports that each
    application/service can connect to. Other responses could be
    remember/ask or remember/block for those you don't want connecting.
    Casey

    In article <2mkrfmFn0l57U1@uni-berlin.de>, noemail@invalid.invalid
    says...
    > I have been using ZoneAlarm and I am considering giving Sygate Personal
    > Firewall a try. Does Sygate gives you ability to block outbound traffic
    > similar to ZA?

    Yes

    --
    Odd H. Sandvik

    "Odd H. Sandvik" <invalid@online.nivalid>
    wrote in news:MPG.1b6f5f2ed432b95c9896c0@news.online.no:
    > In article <2mkrfmFn0l57U1@uni-berlin.de>, noemail@invalid.invalid
    > says...
    >> I have been using ZoneAlarm and I am considering giving Sygate
    >> Personal Firewall a try. Does Sygate gives you ability to block
    >> outbound traffic similar to ZA?
    >
    > Yes

    Since you might know Sygate Personal (freebie or Pro version), do you
    know if it also provide for URL filtering? And do those URL filters
    permit regular expressions? Rather than have, say, 54 entries in the
    hosts file to block Doubleclick, I'd like to use URL filtering with a
    regular expression of ":////.*/.doubleclick/..*//" (don't remember if
    colon needs to be escaped) so I could block Doubleclick with one entry
    instead of dozens of them. I looked at the online help file for Sygate
    Personal Pro and only saw its section on advanced rules, but that
    doesn't permit URL filtering nor does it let you filter outbound
    connections based on IP *name* (which might be wildcarded, if supported)
    but only on IP *address*.

    (E-mail: domain = ".com", add "=NEWS=" to Subject)

    In article <nNqdnboBf7Eb1pjcRVn-og@comcast.com>, do-not-email@reply-to-group says...
    > "Odd H. Sandvik" <invalid@online.nivalid>
    > wrote in news:MPG.1b6f5f2ed432b95c9896c0@news.online.no:
    > > In article <2mkrfmFn0l57U1@uni-berlin.de>, noemail@invalid.invalid
    > > says...
    > >> I have been using ZoneAlarm and I am considering giving Sygate
    > >> Personal Firewall a try. Does Sygate gives you ability to block
    > >> outbound traffic similar to ZA?
    > >
    > > Yes
    >
    > Since you might know Sygate Personal (freebie or Pro version), do you
    > know if it also provide for URL filtering? And do those URL filters
    > permit regular expressions? Rather than have, say, 54 entries in the
    > hosts file to block Doubleclick, I'd like to use URL filtering with a
    > regular expression of ":////.*/.doubleclick/..*//" (don't remember if
    > colon needs to be escaped) so I could block Doubleclick with one entry
    > instead of dozens of them. I looked at the online help file for Sygate
    > Personal Pro and only saw its section on advanced rules, but that
    > doesn't permit URL filtering nor does it let you filter outbound
    > connections based on IP *name* (which might be wildcarded, if supported)
    > but only on IP *address*.

    Sygate advanced rules are created using combinations of the following
    parameters: allow/block; addresses(IP,MAC,all); protocols(tcp/udp/icmp/all);
    ports(local/remote); scheduling; and application.

    "Casey" <casey@nosuch.net>
    wrote in news:MPG.1b6f1114d6ea0470989766@news.west.earthlink.net:

    Then I guess I'm still looking for another firewall replacement. I'd
    like URL filtering (by IP *name*) and regular expressions so the filter
    will cover all hostnames or subdomains of a targeted domain to block.

    (E-mail: domain = ".com", add "=NEWS=" to Subject)

    In article <OeCdnT7bMY2sx5jcRVn-hA@comcast.com>, do-not-email@reply-to-group
    says...
    > "Casey" <casey@nosuch.net>
    > wrote in news:MPG.1b6f1114d6ea0470989766@news.west.earthlink.net:
    >
    > Then I guess I'm still looking for another firewall replacement. I'd
    > like URL filtering (by IP *name*) and regular expressions so the filter
    > will cover all hostnames or subdomains of a targeted domain to block.

    Outpost firewall and the blockpost plugin for it can do this
    you can get more info here..
    http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/
    me

Firewalls Security Networking