Video Capture Devices

For the first time in years I looked at home video from the early 90s. It
got me thinking it'd be nice to transfer the video to computer and do some
rudimentary editing like removing gaps between segments and adding titles. I
thought a USB device would be good because I don't want to haul the VCR to
my desktop when we have two laptops around the house.

I rather like the look of this item from TigerDirect:

http://tinyurl.com/53wuq

Has anyone tried this technology? How good is the quality, how fast is
conversion?

Any experiences you'd like to share?

Box134 wrote:

> For the first time in years I looked at home video from the early 90s. It
> got me thinking it'd be nice to transfer the video to computer and do some
> rudimentary editing like removing gaps between segments and adding titles.
> I thought a USB device would be good because I don't want to haul the VCR
> to my desktop when we have two laptops around the house.
>
> I rather like the look of this item from TigerDirect:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/53wuq
>
> Has anyone tried this technology? How good is the quality, how fast is
> conversion?
>
> Any experiences you'd like to share?

TinyURL seems to be down. Try using a direct link instead.

Regardless, the USB 1 devices univerally are pretty dismal. Some of the
USB2 devices might be decent. You'd do best though to use one of the
Firewire devices such as the Canopus ADVC100 or a digital camcorder that
will pass through analog capture to the firewire port--most of the better
ones will do that, the real cheapies won't.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Oh knickers. TigerDirect pulled the part in my URL from their catalogue.
However, they do have other gadgets with USB 2 and Firewire interfaces. Now
when you said USB 1 was dismal, did you mean in terms of speed, quality, or
both?

Thanks for the reply.

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 00:45:34 -0500, "Box134" <box134@wooky.invalid>
wrote:

>Oh knickers. TigerDirect pulled the part in my URL from their catalogue.
>However, they do have other gadgets with USB 2 and Firewire interfaces. Now
>when you said USB 1 was dismal, did you mean in terms of speed, quality, or
>both?

USB 2.0 will let you capture at higher bitrates than with USB 1.

Kevin Miller

"Either way, it is bad for Zathras."

Box134 wrote:

> Oh knickers. TigerDirect pulled the part in my URL from their catalogue.
> However, they do have other gadgets with USB 2 and Firewire interfaces.
> Now when you said USB 1 was dismal, did you mean in terms of speed,
> quality, or both?

One leads to the other. USB 1 in practical terms doesn't have a high enough
data transfer rate for reliable live video transfer.

You might want to go over to <http://www.avsforum.com> and search the Home
Theater PC forum on keyword "USB". You'll find a lot of practical
discussion there including comments on specific devices and for the ones
that work well extensive discussion of their tuning and optimization.

> Thanks for the reply.
>

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> Regardless, the USB 1 devices univerally are pretty dismal. Some of the
>> USB2 devices might be decent. You'd do best though to use one of the
>> Firewire devices such as the Canopus ADVC100 or a digital camcorder that
>> will pass through analog capture to the firewire port--most of the better
>> ones will do that, the real cheapies won't.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

OK, thanks for the advice.