Generic Host Process for Win32 Services alert in Zone Alarm

Last response: in Networking
a b 8 Security
July 27, 2004 1:00:42 AM

I keep getting an alert that my ZA firewall has blocked Generic Host Process
for Win32 Services from outgoing use of my computer. Can anyone tell me why
this is happening and how I can safely stop this message from reoccurring?

Thanks

Stu
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 27, 2004 1:28:07 AM

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 21:00:42 GMT, "Stu Wilson" <swilson8@twcny.rr.com>
wrote:

>I keep getting an alert that my ZA firewall has blocked Generic Host Process
>for Win32 Services from outgoing use of my computer. Can anyone tell me why
>this is happening and how I can safely stop this message from reoccurring?
>
>Thanks
>
>Stu

Believe it could be one of several OS programs doing what the User has
set ... i.e. time check, automatic update, etc.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 27, 2004 1:49:37 AM

"------>That Way!" <traxless@msn.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 21:00:42 GMT, "Stu Wilson" <swilson8@twcny.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I keep getting an alert that my ZA firewall has blocked Generic Host
Process
> >for Win32 Services from outgoing use of my computer. Can anyone tell me
why
> >this is happening and how I can safely stop this message from
reoccurring?

> >Thanks
> >
> >Stu
>
> Believe it could be one of several OS programs doing what the User has
> set ... i.e. time check, automatic update, etc.

Under Zone Alarm program control for Generic Host Process in "access"
trusted and internet are checked. Under "server" trusted is checked and
internet is blocked. Is that proper?
a b 8 Security
July 27, 2004 1:49:38 AM

In article <R%eNc.82514$bp1.41793@twister.nyroc.rr.com>, swilson8
@twcny.rr.com says...

> "------>That Way!" <traxless@msn.com> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 21:00:42 GMT, "Stu Wilson" <swilson8@twcny.rr.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >I keep getting an alert that my ZA firewall has blocked Generic Host
> Process
> > >for Win32 Services from outgoing use of my computer. Can anyone tell me
> why
> > >this is happening and how I can safely stop this message from
> reoccurring?
> > >
> > >Thanks
> > >
> > >Stu
> >
> > Believe it could be one of several OS programs doing what the User has
> > set ... i.e. time check, automatic update, etc.
>
> Under Zone Alarm program control for Generic Host Process in "access"
> trusted and internet are checked. Under "server" trusted is checked and
> internet is blocked. Is that proper?

Sounds ok. You probably don't need Server trusted checked... Most
important thing is to not give it internet server access..

--
Kerodo
Anonymous

"Bart Bailey" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
> In Message-ID:<_heNc.82509$bp1.52863@twister.nyroc.rr.com> posted on
> Mon, 26 Jul 2004 21:00:42 GMT, Stu Wilson wrote: Begin
>
> >I keep getting an alert that my ZA firewall has blocked Generic Host
Process
> >for Win32 Services from outgoing use of my computer. Can anyone tell me
why
> >this is happening and how I can safely stop this message from
reoccurring?

> >Thanks
> >
> >Stu
> >

> If you simply don't want to see the alerts, turn them off:
> [Alerts And Logs] - [Main] check the bottom (off) radio button.
> If you want to see where the application causing them is:
> [Program Control] look for the name the alerts are reporting,
> highlight it, and read the details in the pane below.
>
> --
>
> Bart

The file named is svchost.exe, part of the XP operating system.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 28, 2004 12:41:27 AM

"Stu Wilson" <swilson8@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
> I keep getting an alert that my ZA firewall has blocked Generic Host
Process
> for Win32 Services from outgoing use of my computer. Can anyone tell me
why
> this is happening and how I can safely stop this message from reoccurring?
>
> Thanks
>
> Stu

As a follow up to my question above, The IP address listed on the Zone
Alarm pop alert as being blocked going out from my computer is the same IP
as one of three DNS servers listed for my computer when I ran ipconfig /all.
Can anyone help explain what all this indicates?

Thanks
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 28, 2004 2:38:21 AM

> "Stu Wilson" <swilson8@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
>> I keep getting an alert that my ZA firewall has blocked Generic Host
> Process
>> for Win32 Services from outgoing use of my computer. Can anyone tell
>> me
> why
>> this is happening and how I can safely stop this message from
>> reoccurring?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Stu
>

> As a follow up to my question above, The IP address listed on the
> Zone Alarm pop alert as being blocked going out from my computer is
> the same IP as one of three DNS servers listed for my computer when I
> ran ipconfig /all. Can anyone help explain what all this indicates?
>
> Thanks

It indicates nothing. It would be one thing if the contact was being made
to a remote IP that was unknown to you. The contact is being made with an
IP that belongs to your ISP's DNS server. Therefore, you know who it is
and you should determine that it's not dubious in nature. -- let it go.
All it is indicating is that App Control in PFW solutions is worthless
with too many questions.

Duane :)
!