Generic Host Process for Win32 Services alert in Zone Alarm

I keep getting an alert that my ZA firewall has blocked Generic Host Process
for Win32 Services from outgoing use of my computer. Can anyone tell me why
this is happening and how I can safely stop this message from reoccurring?

Thanks

Stu
6 answers Last reply
More about generic host process win32 services alert zone alarm

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 21:00:42 GMT, "Stu Wilson" <swilson8@twcny.rr.com>
    wrote:

    >I keep getting an alert that my ZA firewall has blocked Generic Host Process
    >for Win32 Services from outgoing use of my computer. Can anyone tell me why
    >this is happening and how I can safely stop this message from reoccurring?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Stu

    Believe it could be one of several OS programs doing what the User has
    set ... i.e. time check, automatic update, etc.

    "------>That Way!" <traxless@msn.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 21:00:42 GMT, "Stu Wilson" <swilson8@twcny.rr.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I keep getting an alert that my ZA firewall has blocked Generic Host
    Process
    > >for Win32 Services from outgoing use of my computer. Can anyone tell me
    why
    > >this is happening and how I can safely stop this message from
    reoccurring?

    > >Thanks
    > >
    > >Stu
    >
    > Believe it could be one of several OS programs doing what the User has
    > set ... i.e. time check, automatic update, etc.

    Under Zone Alarm program control for Generic Host Process in "access"
    trusted and internet are checked. Under "server" trusted is checked and
    internet is blocked. Is that proper?

    In article <R%eNc.82514$bp1.41793@twister.nyroc.rr.com>, swilson8
    @twcny.rr.com says...

    > "------>That Way!" <traxless@msn.com> wrote in message
    > > On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 21:00:42 GMT, "Stu Wilson" <swilson8@twcny.rr.com>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >I keep getting an alert that my ZA firewall has blocked Generic Host
    > Process
    > > >for Win32 Services from outgoing use of my computer. Can anyone tell me
    > why
    > > >this is happening and how I can safely stop this message from
    > reoccurring?
    > > >
    > > >Thanks
    > > >
    > > >Stu
    > >
    > > Believe it could be one of several OS programs doing what the User has
    > > set ... i.e. time check, automatic update, etc.
    >
    > Under Zone Alarm program control for Generic Host Process in "access"
    > trusted and internet are checked. Under "server" trusted is checked and
    > internet is blocked. Is that proper?

    Sounds ok. You probably don't need Server trusted checked... Most
    important thing is to not give it internet server access..

    --
    Kerodo

    "Bart Bailey" <me2@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > In Message-ID:<_heNc.82509$bp1.52863@twister.nyroc.rr.com> posted on
    > Mon, 26 Jul 2004 21:00:42 GMT, Stu Wilson wrote: Begin
    >
    > >I keep getting an alert that my ZA firewall has blocked Generic Host
    Process
    > >for Win32 Services from outgoing use of my computer. Can anyone tell me
    why
    > >this is happening and how I can safely stop this message from
    reoccurring?

    > >Thanks
    > >
    > >Stu
    > >

    > If you simply don't want to see the alerts, turn them off:
    > [Alerts And Logs] - [Main] check the bottom (off) radio button.
    > If you want to see where the application causing them is:
    > [Program Control] look for the name the alerts are reporting,
    > highlight it, and read the details in the pane below.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Bart

    The file named is svchost.exe, part of the XP operating system.

    "Stu Wilson" <swilson8@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
    > I keep getting an alert that my ZA firewall has blocked Generic Host
    Process
    > for Win32 Services from outgoing use of my computer. Can anyone tell me
    why
    > this is happening and how I can safely stop this message from reoccurring?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Stu

    As a follow up to my question above, The IP address listed on the Zone
    Alarm pop alert as being blocked going out from my computer is the same IP
    as one of three DNS servers listed for my computer when I ran ipconfig /all.
    Can anyone help explain what all this indicates?

    Thanks

    > "Stu Wilson" <swilson8@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> I keep getting an alert that my ZA firewall has blocked Generic Host
    > Process
    >> for Win32 Services from outgoing use of my computer. Can anyone tell
    >> me
    > why
    >> this is happening and how I can safely stop this message from
    >> reoccurring?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Stu
    >

    > As a follow up to my question above, The IP address listed on the
    > Zone Alarm pop alert as being blocked going out from my computer is
    > the same IP as one of three DNS servers listed for my computer when I
    > ran ipconfig /all. Can anyone help explain what all this indicates?
    >
    > Thanks

    It indicates nothing. It would be one thing if the contact was being made
    to a remote IP that was unknown to you. The contact is being made with an
    IP that belongs to your ISP's DNS server. Therefore, you know who it is
    and you should determine that it's not dubious in nature. -- let it go.
    All it is indicating is that App Control in PFW solutions is worthless
    with too many questions.

    Duane :)

Firewalls Win32 Security Networking